Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided.

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by landrew
Last I looked there were lots of introductory SIN fares from LAX and prices fluctuate a lot but were as low as $438.
I did one this week, albeit from ORD. And although Business was chockablock ORD-HKG, Economy Plus was almost empty on one leg and the second Business cabin was literally empty.
Which meant that several good bulkhead seats were available (like three across on the door) and lots of 3 across seats where you could actually lie down. Mileage is in the 18K-20K range. Serial security theater was a hassle, not expected by me in HKG and SIN, but OTOH, plenty of good clubs and food, SIN is practically an amusement park, and you can, of course, do all of your Christmas shopping at various DFS!
So ORD to SIN via HKG? I'm 1K now.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by landrew
Last I looked there were lots of introductory SIN fares from LAX and prices fluctuate a lot but were as low as $438.
I did one this week, albeit from ORD. And although Business was chockablock ORD-HKG, Economy Plus was almost empty on one leg and the second Business cabin was literally empty.
Which meant that several good bulkhead seats were available (like three across on the door) and lots of 3 across seats where you could actually lie down. Mileage is in the 18K-20K range. Serial security theater was a hassle, not expected by me in HKG and SIN, but OTOH, plenty of good clubs and food, SIN is practically an amusement park, and you can, of course, do all of your Christmas shopping at various DFS!
I'm not sure if you were replying to me, but if so thanks! I saw those fares, but was hoping to find something that would take less time/flying since my mileage requirement is so low. Ideally something that would just meet both would be fantastic.

Edit: worked some weird routings in P on a trip I had coming up anyway to get the miles/PQD. Thanks anyway!

Last edited by eeflyer; Oct 20, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:22 pm

Departure Airport: LAX or ONT
Miles Needed: 8000
Required Spend or Budget: $1000 max
Available Travel Dates: 23-26 November
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: any * (will credit to OZ)

Thank you very much in advance
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Departure Airport: LAX or SNA
Miles Needed: None
Required Spend or Budget: $700
Available Travel Dates: same day turn or weekend
Required Metal or Codeshares Not Sure

Don’t need any miles but am about $700 short of my required PQD for the year. Any runs possibilities out there that would include a lie-flat domestic as I’ve never flown anything except E+ on United.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by EbonyTatas

Don’t need any miles but am about $700 short of my required PQD for the year. Any runs possibilities out there that would include a lie-flat domestic as I’ve never flown anything except E+ on United.
Since you're after spend, here's two options - both get you into J IPTE/lie-flat on one leg and assume that you have sufficient status to get yourself into E+ on the other leg:

same day turn: 12/02/17 (Saturday) LAX-EWR-LAX outbound in E+ and/or return in J: $756.28 PQD spend ($835.80 w/taxes)

2 day turn: 12/08/17 (Friday) LAX-EWR outbound in E+ and/or 12/10/17 (Sunday) EWR-LAX return in J: $756.28 PQD spend ($835.80 w/taxes) (example shown below with attached image)

David
Attached Images  
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Since you're after spend, here's two options - both get you into J IPTE/lie-flat on one leg and assume that you have sufficient status to get yourself into E+ on the other leg:

David
Thank you David!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thank you David!
You're quite welcome.

The only other comment I'd make is to have the leg that you purchase your J seat to be a dinner flight so that you at least get dinner and the end of flight cold snack. Breakfast and lunch in J usually aren't terribly spectacular and you get to enjoy wine and spirits before, during and after your meal as part of dinner dining.

David
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
UA:$829 LAX-IAD in First 9152PQM

Another option is:
UA:$829 LAX-IAD in First 9152PQM 746PQD
Sat 02 Dec (or 09 Dec)
UA360 LAX-IAD 0609-1400 (B739 w/ recliner, breakfast)
UA2069 IAD-LAX 2208-0100 (B752 w/ lay-flat, snack)
Link: https://goo.gl/flights/q5Dq

Upside is that it's in First in both directions. Downside is that it misses Dinner service. And not quite the level of PS (although much better than Econ). About 8h at IAD, so probably good to kill some time by taking the bus to Udar-Hazy and look at really cool planes.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, BA, Miles & More Frequent Traveler
GF is very close to United Gold!

Departure Airport: TXL
Miles Needed: circa 7,500
Required Spend or Budget: €300 - 400
Available Travel Dates: Weekends except Nov. 18-20 and Dec. 01 -03 and Dec 22 - 24.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:
UA or Star Alliance

Posting for my girlfriend. Based on the rest of her travel she will just miss out on Gold for 2017. It's important for her because next February she's starting a sabbatical in Australia and would like to be able to have lounge access on the layovers. Unfortunately she's used up all of her vacation days for this year and only has the weekends. Matter of fact, she has to be front and center at work by 08:30am on Monday.

Normally I'd suggest she just fly TXL - EWR, but this year it's actually cheaper to fly TXL - SFO than to Newark. But with the lack of vacation days.. not an option. Any help is greatly appreciated as it will give me serious boyfriend points if it works out! ^
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:35 pm

After lots of research, I think the only way to achieve this is by doing 2 trips, maybe a domestic one in business also which will give me more PQMs. As much as I would like a single trip ORD-SIN, that would be rough in Economy and return the same day

Departure Airport: ORD
Miles Needed: 18,000 for 1K
Required Spend or Budget: Met $12k already, lower spend the better
Available Travel Dates: Nov (except 19-23) and December 2-31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: UA or Codeshare

Also, I have 2 GPUs and 1RPU to use, but if I do a long trip, need to see which route gives me best chances to upgrade on.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you

Last edited by blue2007; Oct 23, 2017 at 3:20 pm Reason: Added info
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:11 am

Denver mileage run for Newbie

I'll try to follow your format

1. No. of miles/segments that you have at present.
45,636 miles (Currently Silver)

2. How many more miles/segments will it take to reach your goal.
4,364 to make Gold 50K
29,364 to make Premier Platinum 75K * I would like to make Premier Platinum this year

3. Where are you are based. Denver

4. Whether or not there is some place specific that you would really like to go.
Well I have a Chinese Visa, I might as well put this to use. And I've seen that the flights here can be much less expensive as they open that market

5. Dates you are available to travel are must a must - in both directions, please!
Leaving Denver November 1st. Returning as soon as possible, maybe even a single night's stay before coming back - It's about the status not the destination this time.

6. Also, it would help if you mentioned the budget, please!
I was hoping for $500 or less. I have also seen price per mile and $0.04 seems to be the most requested rate.

Thank you all for your help
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:22 am

Please help a new guy out

Departure AirportEN

Miles Needed: 4,364 to Make Gold,
but would rather make Premier Platinum with 29,364 Miles needed

Required Spend or Budget: I have met the PQD's for 2017.
Budget would be $500

Available Travel Dates: October 21st to October 29th**,
November 1st to November 15th**

Required Metal or Codeshares okay: UA or Star Alliance

**FWIW, I have a Visa for China, and I've seen many inexpensive flights as they open up this market.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:40 pm

Mileage run newbie-Need 13k miles, $400 PQD on UA/*A 016 ticket stock by end of year

hey there, have usually been UA gold but am now within spitting distance of Plat. Need 13K in PQM and $400 in PQDs to get there. Any help please? Am willing to travel mid-late Nov and in Dec. Live in the midwest so would be best to fly out of ORD but have SW etc and can make my way to LAX.

Sorry didn't realize that this thread existed, let me reformat my post.

Departure Airport: ORD/MSP/MCI
Miles Needed: 13,151
Required Spend or Budget: Required $415 PQD, Budget up to about $650
Available Travel Dates: Late Nov, Beg Dec, Late Dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: I think UAL, if I fly *Alliance I won't get the PQD

Appreciate your help!!

Last edited by ZBigFam; Oct 23, 2017 at 2:12 pm Reason: Editing for format purposes and more info.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
it would be good if you would let folks know where you'd be flying from. but in general, $400 to do 13K miles is a bit of a stretch, unless you don't mind paying more...

you can do SFO-SIN in the $800s rt but you'd have to fly weekdays, but that'll get you more than 8,000 EQM one way.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
okay you added the info. ORD-SIN is in the $600s... you won't need your WN points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.