Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:45 pm

Platinum Pro Challenge (9/7 Expiration)

Greetings team - long time listener, first time caller here. Appreciate all the great insights on this board. My wife received a Platinum Pro Challenge earlier this summer. This seems like a semi-straight forward request since she's about halfway there already but wanted to see what the great minds on this board had to say. Here's the specifics:

Departure Airport(s): PHL ideally, JFK or EWR possible
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 9,288
EQDs Needed: $832
Max Budget: ~$850
Available Travel Dates: Weekends of 7/27, 8/10, 8/24 (Friday evening (post 4:00 PM) departure, need to be back Sunday night)
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners specified in promo: BA, AY, IB, JL
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Non-stops in premium cabin would be preferred as she is appalled at the concept of a mileage run, but understand that's a tough ask. Haven't had much luck on Google Flights myself so turning it over the pros!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Originally Posted by aztimm
Its a little over your budget at $2600, but this CX JFK-HKG-AKL itinerary would give just over 41k EQM and almost $5500 EQD. If you play around with that, you can add in connections (there was an extra through YVR that I saw).
This is a fantastic suggestion. Thank you!

Question - If there is an Air NZ Metal flight but a CX flight number (CX 7402) am I ineligible to earn AA?

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by msof
Thanks @aztimm. Appreciate the help!
Sorry I didn't have better news. I'd play around on Google flights and see what you can find.
msof likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosfet
This is a fantastic suggestion. Thank you!

Question - If there is an Air NZ Metal flight but a CX flight number (CX 7402) am I ineligible to earn AA?

Thanks!
No, you would only earn AA EQM/EQD on AA partners, so NZ wouldn't count toward AA. If you had a UA account, you could credit there (I think they're still in *A). That's one thing you need to watch out for when booking partners, is making sure flights on their partners will still count toward AA status.

A friend of mine who is AA EXP flew in CX PE recently and got an op-up from PE to biz for a HKG-JFK leg. She definitely appreciated it ^
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA - EXP
No, you would only earn AA EQM/EQD on AA partners, so NZ wouldn't count toward AA. If you had a UA account, you could credit there (I think they're still in *A). That's one thing you need to watch out for when booking partners, is making sure flights on their partners will still count toward AA status.

A friend of mine who is AA EXP flew in CX PE recently and got an op-up from PE to biz for a HKG-JFK leg. She definitely appreciated it ^
Thanks mate, really appreciate the help!

I did that route in economy in Jan and got an OP up to PE, it's a pretty good product and lounges in HKG are world class.

Best, Josh
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by swingaling
Easily done. ARN-LHR-LAX (rt) in PE on BA for $944. That's about as good as you'll get.

Buy the BA flight numbers only; do not buy an AA-coded flight. Flights on AA metal (with a BA code) are just fine. For example, BA1509 in the above example will earn way more than AA193 even though it's the same physical flight.

Earnings:
EQM: 17,800
EQD: 2,390
RDM: 11,900 (plus elite bonus, if any)
Just saw this! Thanks so much for finding it, but it's no longer available. Would you be able to find something else in the same price range? Also, to confirm, if I were to take a flight that was purchased on JAL with an AA leg, would that AA leg accumulate EQDs based on the same fare percentage as the as the rest of the legs? So let's say it was roundtrip flight ftom IAH-LAX (AA) then LAX-NRT-SIN (JAL), what would that earn?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:28 pm

Departure Airport(s): AUS, IAH, HOU, SAT, DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: ~100,000
EQDs Needed: ~$12,000
Max Budget: N/A
Available Travel Dates: 1/1/19 - 1/7/19
Max # Travel Nights: 6
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any/all
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N, can get if needed

Basically looking for the easiest $/status value for requal efforts in first week of January. I know I won't get all the way, but not against a single big spend to max out EQDs and EQMs efficiently. If this is an obnoxious ask, please ignore
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
Departure Airport(s): AUS, IAH, HOU, SAT, DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: ~100,000
EQDs Needed: ~$12,000
Max Budget: N/A
Available Travel Dates: 1/1/19 - 1/7/19
Max # Travel Nights: 6
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any/all
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N, can get if needed

Basically looking for the easiest $/status value for requal efforts in first week of January. I know I won't get all the way, but not against a single big spend to max out EQDs and EQMs efficiently. If this is an obnoxious ask, please ignore
Sure. DFW-HKG RT in F twice. It'll cost you around $22k and you'll earn 97,000 EQM.

Best case, you'll need to fly 33,400 miles (F fare on AA) to earn 100k EQM. If flying partners, that figure doubles. It's nearly impossible to fly 66k BIS miles in a week. That's a solid 18 hours of flying every day for 6 days straight.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
Sure. DFW-HKG RT in F twice. It'll cost you around $22k and you'll earn 97,000 EQM.

Best case, you'll need to fly 33,400 miles (F fare on AA) to earn 100k EQM. If flying partners, that figure doubles. It's nearly impossible to fly 66k BIS miles in a week. That's a solid 18 hours of flying every day for 6 days straight.
Or, alternatively, DFW-HKG-DFW on CX in PE for $2583 to net 24,367 EQM and 3,249 EQD, correct? Quarter of the way there and spend 5 days in HKG.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
Or, alternatively, DFW-HKG-DFW on CX in PE for $2583 to net 24,367 EQM and 3,249 EQD, correct? Quarter of the way there and spend 5 days in HKG.
Depends on the routing (DFW-ORD-HKG presumably), but that’s in the ballpark.

You’re better off doing SFO-HKG on CX in PE because it’s substantially cheaper at the moment. Costs around $1,200 right now.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:39 am

Its a little over your budget at $2600, but this CX JFK-HKG-AKL itinerary would give just over 41k EQM and almost $5500 EQD. If you play around with that, you can add in connections (there was an extra through YVR that I saw).
I've done this a couple times ex-LAX. It's a lo-o-o-n-g pair of flights - but very do-able in PE. Browse the flight times in/out of HKG, and you should be able to put together an itinerary with a 12+ hour layover in HKG - plenty of time to do some sightseeing in HKG.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:53 pm

Greetings all, longtime lurker on this forum but first time poster here. I finished the Plat challenge for status through the remaining year, but looking to guarantee at least Plat for next year, possibly Pro. Work travel is variable at this point as a consultant, and being based in DFW, that limits domestic earning potential. I have found some good deals out of LAX on AA PE to HKG (~$950), but looking for some other options.

Departure Airport(s): DFW preferably, but any US/Canada location if needed
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 30,000
EQDs Needed: $3,000 for guaranteed Plat renewal, but work travel will get me much closer, just unknown at this point
Max Budget: ~$2000 (would prefer $1,800 or so if possible)
Available Travel Dates: Weekends, need to be back by Sunday night, work travel location varies
Max # Travel Nights: 1-2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners ok
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:42 pm

Have some time off in November and was hoping to do a same-day turn to requalify for EXP. Pretty open regarding destination, though have a strong preference towards J (whether paid or via non-500mi upgrades)

Departure Airport(s): NYC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 7,000
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: $1,000
Available Travel Dates: November 13-15, 19-20
Max # Travel Nights: 0
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by seaflyer92
Available Travel Dates: Weekends, need to be back by Sunday night, work travel location varies
Max # Travel Nights: 1-2
Can you take off on a Friday and do a Sunday return? Or even Thursday and Friday?
There are some decent prices for CX PE, DFW-HKG. Depending on dates, it might be $2200. But you'd get this all taken care of with one run.

In addition to DFW, I'd check nearby airports, such as TYR, GRK, and AUS.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:21 pm

Can you take off on a Friday and do a Sunday return? Or even Thursday and Friday?
There are some decent prices for CX PE, DFW-HKG. Depending on dates, it might be $2200. But you'd get this all taken care of with one run.

In addition to DFW, I'd check nearby airports, such as TYR, GRK, and AUS.
I can leave on Friday's most week, either between relocating to catch something at another spot, or out of DFW, I return to DFW from work Thursday nights, Friday's are home office so can fly. I was looking at the early Friday morning HKG flights out of SFO and LAX (~1am), looks like SFO can be had for $1,000 on AA and ~1,200 on CX all in PE, in which case the CX would make the most sense in my mind for additional EQD due to distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.