Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sis22
Check Lima. That is where I am thinking of heading.
Thats 7,610 miles with stop in MIA each way... unfortunately not enough miles
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chaschas
Trying to hit Ex Plat before Dec 20. All help greatly appreciated.

Departure Airport(s): ORD / MKE
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 9,207 EQM
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: $1000-1500
Available Travel Dates: DEC 8-20
Max Travel Nights: 1-2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
ORD-CLT-LHR-BUD-LHR-ORD for $619 with 1 night in BUD. Departing on Friday.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by maloy
Departure Airport: DFW, but can position to just about anywhere in the United States
Miles Needed: 15000 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: under 1000 prefered
Available Travel Dates: anytime this month before Dec 31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Any

Please point me in right direction, ready to go as early as December 8!
Do you have a Chinese visa? Under $1000 is going to be tough, once you factor in positioning costs. The best thing is probably to look at AUS, OKC, SAT, etc.--i.e., non-DFW airports that are within driving distance.

For example, AUS-DFW-PEK r/t is $839 departing 12/8 and returning 12/11. Hotels in Beijing are super cheap right now, so even with two nights, you can probably keep it to around $1,000. There are some better prices from the coasts to Asia, but once you add in the cost of positioning, it comes out to be about the same or more.

EDIT: Just found this, if you can get to ORD by noon tomorrow. ORD-NRT-PEK-DFW-ORD for $542, returning on Sunday. You don't even need a visa for this since you are coming in from Japan and flying out to the U.S.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 6, 2017 at 7:04 pm
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA
Just reached PlatPro, EXec Plat possibility?

Departure Airport: MIA preferred , in the USA
Miles Needed: 20,616 EQM
EQDS Needed: 1,951 to 2,000
Budget: 1,500 to 4500
Available Travel Dates: anytime this month before Dec 19
Required Metal or Codeshares okay

Thanks to friends and Flyerhandle for explaining the details as a Noobie!!
I came back happily after 36 hours each way on crummy PE but I did it!!!
Is there a possibility to pull this off?
I can try to fly to reach the EXec Plat, which would help me a lot next year, open to suggestions please!!
Thank you amigos!!

Last edited by JJBAAWINGS; Dec 6, 2017 at 8:05 pm
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
For AA EQMs, it's right on their website.
EQMs are based on mileage as well as your status.
Go to the "For travel on or after May 4, 2017" area of https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp to get you started.
Thanks - that part I know. What I am trying to figure out is where the flight miles are stated on the site since, as I mentioned, if you do Search by Schedule and look at the distance quoted, when you do the math, it doesn't match what the website tells you once you go to book (the difference isn't much, but there is a difference). Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJBAAWINGS
Departure Airport: MIA preferred , in the USA
Miles Needed: 20,616 EQM
EQDS Needed: 1,951 to 2,000
Budget: 1,500 to 4500
Available Travel Dates: anytime this month before Dec 19
Required Metal or Codeshares okay

Thanks to friends and Flyerhandle for explaining the details as a Noobie!!
I came back happily after 36 hours each way on crummy PE but I did it!!!
Is there a possibility to pull this off?
I can try to fly to reach the EXec Plat, which would help me a lot next year, open to suggestions please!!
Thank you amigos!!

MIA-LHR-ATH-MAD-MIA is $2,481 in Business with a two night stay in ATH. The EQDs are a bit tricky (since LHR-ATH is marketed as BA and ATH-MAD is marketed as IB), but I think it should be enough.

Alternatively, YYZ-ORD-NRT-PUS-NRT-ORD-YYZ is $2,824 in Business + a few hundred more to connect MIA to YYZ. Significantly more expensive, but will definitely get you what you need and you'll have a chance to fly JL Business on the long-hauls, which is top notch (but you'll still get 2.0 EQMs because the flights are marketed as AA).
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage
EDIT: Just found this, if you can get to ORD by noon tomorrow. ORD-NRT-PEK-DFW-ORD for $542, returning on Sunday. You don't even need a visa for this since you are coming in from Japan and flying out to the U.S.[/QUOTE]

This is a great find but cannot get to ORD by noon... anything similar later in the month? Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Thanks - that part I know. What I am trying to figure out is where the flight miles are stated on the site since, as I mentioned, if you do Search by Schedule and look at the distance quoted, when you do the math, it doesn't match what the website tells you once you go to book (the difference isn't much, but there is a difference). Thanks!
my apologies. Nothing on the site that I’ve seen. Gcmap.com.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Do you have a Chinese visa? Under $1000 is going to be tough, once you factor in positioning costs. The best thing is probably to look at AUS, OKC, SAT, etc.--i.e., non-DFW airports that are within driving distance.

For example, AUS-DFW-PEK r/t is $839 departing 12/8 and returning 12/11. Hotels in Beijing are super cheap right now, so even with two nights, you can probably keep it to around $1,000. There are some better prices from the coasts to Asia, but once you add in the cost of positioning, it comes out to be about the same or more.

EDIT: Just found this, if you can get to ORD by noon tomorrow. ORD-NRT-PEK-DFW-ORD for $542, returning on Sunday. You don't even need a visa for this since you are coming in from Japan and flying out to the U.S.
looks like this one is gone, would not have been able to leave today anyway. Also the 1000 budget does not include positioning. I will check other texas airports. Thanks for trying
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by melrowgo
SJC-ORD-DFW-SJC :: $782 AA in Bus :: ~8200 EQMs :: Dec 29 same day
You are a miracle worker MelRowGo! Thank you!
melrowgo likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:57 am

I found fast option but leaves me short of almost 5,000 eqm's! And I don't want AA offering me to bump to EXECPLAT for 3-5k after this!!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by QPProletarian
Hi All,

Appreciate any help here. I did have return DXB & CAI flights booked in J as a run, but due to new work arrangements I'll loose them . I don't have a lot of time and have been putting in a lot of hrs lately, so a run isn't ideal but neither is the Jan1-Dec 31 window for AA.

Based now in ICN, can leave on 22nd. Need to be in BNE by 25th and BKK/HKG/SIN/KUL/USM to get to Koh Phangan by 28-30th/12 Need just under 25000 EQM and 3000EQD now to retain EXP by 31st.

Seems like ICN-HKG-BNE-HKG (stop) before end of year on CX in J might be best but leaves me 9400 EQM short. Could do a run on MH or something out to CMB or DXB on CX to make up the rest. CMB-AU fares can be cheap in J.

I have a ticket ICN-HKG-LHR 22/12 on CX in E that would earn 11,000 EQM, was going to do a date change. The QR J fares ex ARN are same price as ICN-BNE on CX. But this wouldn't get me an asia stop.
I am in a similar predicament being currently based out of TYO and was able to find the following cheap fare from ICN to CGK on CX in J.
This may be worth you looking into if time in December is tight considering the r/t can be completed in under 30 hours.
Good luck!

Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:44 am

Departure Airport(s): MIA/FLL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 15K or 25K
EQDs Needed: $800
Max Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: Dec 7th to Dec 23rd
Max Travel Nights: Preferably 0-1
AA only, or Partners Okay: OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Hi guys. I'm currently Exec Platinum, but didn't travel as much this year, so trying to make it to at least Platinum PRO.

I'm currently waiting on my visa renewal to arrive, which I'm hoping will be in the next week or so, but there's no guarantee. So I have 2 scenarios. If I don't get the visa on time, I'd need 25K miles all within the US from now until the end of the year. If I do get it on time, I plan on going to Europe close to the end of the year, so I'd only need 15K miles within the US from now until Dec 22nd. I imagine this is super difficult, but thought I'd give it a try. Any help is greatly appreciated. It can be multiple trips as well.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJBAAWINGS
I found fast option but leaves me short of almost 5,000 eqm's! And I don't want AA offering me to bump to EXECPLAT for 3-5k after this!!
Just to confirm.... are you sharing this itinerary for others who might be needing it, or are you looking for assistance with the amount you'll be short?

Last edited by melrowgo; Dec 7, 2017 at 12:40 pm
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
hey just curious....I received some great help here....for several days I've been trying to book via the OTA (several including the ones proposed by GF and BWM). I found the flights/fare combos on GF and on ITA, tried clicking through GF and used BWM but lightnetwork and the OTAs timeout or say no longer available even though ITA says the fares are there. I checked seats with EF and they seem to be available. Any thoughts/tips/tricks or am I simply OOL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.