Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ScottHolcomb
Is that one way, or round trip? I am showing it as saying 13,629 now next to the O/W and was assuming it was one way. Is that correct or am I misunderstanding that?

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.
Go with the O/W calculation.. because you're combining the itineraries into one trip.

Round trip would be: DFW-LHR-BCL then BCL-LHR-DFW and BCL-JFK-DFW then DFW-JFK-BCL.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Am I calculating this correctly? Thank you in advance for any help or guidance.
Are you checking fares to Barcelona--BCN? BCL is an airport in Costa Rica.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:28 pm

Departure Airport(s): NYC, ATL or any Eastern Seaboard Airport
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,216 for Platinum Pro
EQDs Needed: $1,500 for Platinum Pro
Max Budget: $1,300
Available Travel Dates: Anytime (Challenge expiration Sep 7) (Cannot travel between Aug 19 - 26)
Max # Travel Nights: 1 or 2 Nights
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners Okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Explorist Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive Elite, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Is there an easy way to search for dates with the DFW connection or is it a manual process?
It is a manual process.... you have to hunt but they are out there... if you are thinking about doing it you can PM me and I'll give you a few of the dates I have found.....
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Departure Airport(s): prefer TPA,MCO, SRQ will do MIA or PBI
EQMs Needed: 18000
EQDs Needed: $2,500
Max Budget: $whatever it takes don’t mind ponying up for business and I can sleep the weekend away.
Available Travel Dates: 8/30 or 8/31 - 9/2
flying this weekend and next for work.
Max # Travel Nights: one or even zero
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Currently looking at either Business to Seoul or SA but
wouldn't mind something more creative.
or a couple tips to point me in the right direction
I’ve spent enough time on GF and struggling with ITA, that if I was in school I have a Masters degree by now.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skydve1
Milecalc shows the trip as being 13,629 miles.
I assume OP meant BCN rather than BCL, so DFW-LHR-BCN-JFK-DFW for the $689. I see that this fare is for Basic Economy, which will only earn 50% EQMs & EQSs. For this itinerary, you would only earn 5345 EQMs, 2 EQSs, and 572 EQDs.

Last edited by snak; Aug 4, 2018 at 1:45 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I'm looking to make Executive Platinum once again. I realize this is going to need multiple trips. I did the PHX-CGK a few years ago and did 2 of them about a month apart. That may still be the best bang for the buck. I want to spend as little time as I can but might be able to work over my trip. Just want to minimize time away from home and off work.

Departure Airport(s): PHX (Can do LAX)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 45K to Ex Plat (Current estimated travel puts me just over 55K)
EQDs Needed: $0 I should make the $12K
Max Budget: ~$2000 (cheaper the better)
Available Travel Dates: Latter half of October / First half of November minimal days during the week
Max # Travel Nights: 2 weekdays off max if I can.
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA or Partners but would like to use my SWU's for long hauls
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I have a quick question if I am doing this right?

I am using Google flights to check options out of DFW.

I am looking at a Milage run of DFW-LHR-BCL and then BCL-JFK-DFW and the date I have selected is Friday Dec 7th and return the 9th. Cost of the flight is $689.

Using the calculator found at MileCal dot com, it is showing a RT earning 21370 miles. I am platinum today on AA and am looking to possibly use this flight to get me to Plat Pro or EXP depending on the amount of travel I do the rest of the year.

Am I calculating this correctly? Thank you in advance for any help or guidance.
Unfortunately no, your fine print is going to get you. This is a Basic Economy fare, so cut all your numbers in half.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
I'm looking to make Executive Platinum once again. I realize this is going to need multiple trips. I did the PHX-CGK a few years ago and did 2 of them about a month apart. That may still be the best bang for the buck. I want to spend as little time as I can but might be able to work over my trip. Just want to minimize time away from home and off work.

Departure Airport(s): PHX (Can do LAX)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 45K to Ex Plat (Current estimated travel puts me just over 55K)
EQDs Needed: $0 I should make the $12K
Max Budget: ~$2000 (cheaper the better)
Available Travel Dates: Latter half of October / First half of November minimal days during the week
Max # Travel Nights: 2 weekdays off max if I can.
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA or Partners but would like to use my SWU's for long hauls
Depending on dates, there are some itineries PHX-PEK for $500-600. And there's some PHX-PVG for similar. These seem to be out there through much of Oct and Nov. Not sure I'd want to subject myself to that, but I did back-to-back weekends of PHX-MUC back about 10 years ago and managed to survive, in coach.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat
Hey everyone, been lurking for a bit and could use some help.

Departure Airport(s): CLT ideal, RDU, GSO, and GSP an option
EQMs or EQSs Needed: As many as possible
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: ~$1500
Available Travel Dates: 9/29-9/30
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners ok

Would prefer premium cabin but open to suggestions.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Plt Pro / AA Plat for Life / 2MM
Departure Airport(s): MIA, FLL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 18,060 EQM
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: Under $1000
Available Travel Dates: Pretty open since I have until the end of the year. Would like a quick turnaround. Any way to do this in one trip to Europe in PE?
Max # Travel Nights: 2-3 days, but less is preferred
AA only, or Partners Okay: As long as I qualify for status, I don't care the carrier. Would prefer to travel PE if possible to get to my goal faster
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3,976
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: Under $500
Available Travel Dates: Late August, sporadically throughout September, or late November / early December.
Available Travel Nights: 0 please!
AA only, or Partners Okay: Don't care.
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y, but don't think time will allow!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OW ex-SoCal - anywhere but HKG and PEK

Departure Airport(s): SAN / SNA / ONT / PSP / LAX / LGB
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 8500 EQM
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: 1400
Available Travel Dates: October thru end of year - Thursday thru Sunday are preferred
Max # Travel Nights: Friday and Saturday night , plus two days on either side
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay

Looking for a change from my usual work trips to HKG and PEK. I'm 6'-4", so PE or better is a must. PTY, GYE, and UIO are points of interest, but I haven't been able to work out a route that gets me to 8500 EQM
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Departure Airport(s): LAX / LGB / SNA / ONT
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 1600 EQM or 4 EQS
Max Budget: 150-200
Available Travel Dates: now thru mid October weekends
Max # Travel Nights: Friday afternoon through early Monday mornings.
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA only

I definitely can do 2 same day turn arounds to get 4 segments over 2 different weekends. A midcon or transcon weekend would be fun.
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Aedion; Aug 10, 2018 at 11:00 pm
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Aedion
Departure Airport(s): LAX / LGB / SNA / ONT
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 1600 EQM or 4 EQS
Max Budget: 150-200
Available Travel Dates: now thru mid October weekends
Max # Travel Nights: Friday afternoon through early Monday mornings.
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA only

I definitely can do 2 same day turn arounds to get 4 segments over 2 different weekends. A midcon or transcon weekend would be fun.
Thanks for any help!
Lax-Ord is 167 for non-basic economy. That's 0 day, about 1.5 hours between landing and departure. AA 1030, AA 2786
For $34 more you could have a few hours in Chicago. Leave at 6:10 am, get to Chicago at about 12:30 pm, Return departs at 10:05 PM gets in early, early morning.AA 2452, AA 2786

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.