Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREMIUM FARE GONE] Qr: Alg-foc $177 ow, $344 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BA Humbug
Party Boys & Girls & Dates
billybligh, Apr 22 2016
mattking2000, Feb 2017

Positioning Flights
OW - AMM (RJ) | DOH (QR) | LGW (BA) | MAD (IB)
*A - CAI (MS) | FRA (LH) | GVA (LX) | IST (TK) | LIS (TP)
ST - MED (SV) | MXP (AZ) | CDG (AF) | FCO (AZ)
Unaffiliated - BCN (VY) | DXB (EK) | CMN (AT)

"Insight" on Air Algerie...: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/225051

Hotels
Hilton Algiers (resort)
Sofitel Algiers
Mercure Alger Aeroport (free shuttle, located off airport)
Sheraton Club Towers (resort)

Shangri-La Fuzhou
Westin Fuzhou

Visa Information (be sure to state the nationalities for which the rules apply!

Things to do in Algeria

Things to do in Fuzhou
Print Wikipost

[PREMIUM FARE GONE] Qr: Alg-foc $177 ow, $344 rt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
At the risk of ridicule...

would anyone have tips how to best "negotiate" a change once I've flown the outbound? The fare rules say that it's $50 usd (with some cases at $2150 or $2000) but given the fact that it's (a) a flash sale fare, (b) QR's stellar customer service track record, and (c) all conditions state changes are permitted when "no international coupons remain" [is there even another airport in Qatar?] is it something that should be attempted at all or best stay under the radar on this one?
Heads up: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1785696-qr1381-qr1382-doh-alg-doh-discontinued-october.html

If you are booked on QR1381 or 1382 and these flights would be canceled (still uncertain!), this might trigger potential free changes.

I would not count on changes, even after having flown the outbound, without a fare repricing on top of the change fee (which was 50 USD IIRC).
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Epicura
Heads up: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...d-october.html

If you are booked on QR1381 or 1382 and these flights would be canceled (still uncertain!), this might trigger potential free changes.
Update: I just was (automatically) rebooked on the earlier QR1379 instead of QR1381. As expected, QR is cancelling the extra flights DOH-ALG-DOH and will only serve ALG once/day starting early October.

You might want to check your booking and/or use this opportunity for potential free changes.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:13 am

Programs: DL GM, TK Elite+, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, Accor Plat
I was changed on QR1379, too - which makes my booking eligible to transit accommodation. I am tempted to try to get the HKG outbound changed to the midnight departure instead though - any recent experiences on that re: reprice? I'd rather spend another full day in HKG instead of having a rough 8hr hotel layover in DOH.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: FB,OW
Any flight report ?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, TK Elite+, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, Accor Plat
Flew that one in October, without any problems. Anything more specific you want to know?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:28 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Algerian tourism visa in my passport, positioning flights booked! Can't wait for the trip
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:51 pm

By the way - try to avoid the Hilton Algiers, as their AC was out of order for apparently MONTHS. Unsure if it's working now. Made for a rough night in still warm October.
I was compensated with an ok amount of points after complaining to hhonors - Hotel was happy to charge full rate despite known major problem.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by NightlinerVIE
By the way - try to avoid the Hilton Algiers, as their AC was out of order for apparently MONTHS. Unsure if it's working now. Made for a rough night in still warm October.
I was compensated with an ok amount of points after complaining to hhonors - Hotel was happy to charge full rate despite known major problem.
You're freaking joking.

Cancelling booking.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
You're freaking joking.

Cancelling booking.
Unfortunately not. They had some kind of renovation going on, and a sign on the front desk saying something along the lines of "we regret to inform our valued guests that the air conditioning system is out of service until further notice". That was a first for me.
That was in October, so I do not know if its still the case. Wouldnt matter too much now as its fairly chilly in ALG. Rooms were VERY dated also. Maybe you should consider the Mercure instead (at a similar price point, i suppose).
To be fair, the public areas of the hotel were well kept and the staff was friendly, though not much help.
The Hilton Garden Inn in Fuzhou is quite nice though - not exactly in the city centre, but very cheap and good sized, clean rooms.

Last edited by NightlinerVIE; Jan 5, 2017 at 12:46 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Do you know if it is possible to "turn-around" at ALG without a tourist VISA?

My positioning flight from CDG will arrive at 3 PM for an 8 PM departure on QR
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Danusa86

There seem to be no "transit" facilities - and you'd have to collect your bags anyway, as AF wont check baggage through to QR.
In theory (!), you should be able to transit without a visa within 24 hrs, but I dont think that works well. There was a post on here somewhere detailing this.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by NightlinerVIE
There seem to be no "transit" facilities - and you'd have to collect your bags anyway, as AF wont check baggage through to QR.
In theory (!), you should be able to transit without a visa within 24 hrs, but I dont think that works well. There was a post on here somewhere detailing this.
You might be able to check it through if you are flying in with Iberia or British Airways.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
Originally Posted by Danusa86

It was very easy for me to stay airside in hindsight. I was the first trip report and detailed the process as best I could early in this thread. That said I only had carry on luggage. I would contact BA/IB about checking through to DOH at least. If that fails my usual carry on is a 60L rigid frame backpack that has yet to be denied boarding or gate check.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by billybligh
It was very easy for me to stay airside in hindsight. I was the first trip report and detailed the process as best I could early in this thread. That said I only had carry on luggage. I would contact BA/IB about checking through to DOH at least. If that fails my usual carry on is a 60L rigid frame backpack that has yet to be denied boarding or gate check.
Thank you!

I might travel with just carry-on if that helps. I'm away for about 8 days so it's really "border-line" but I'm willing to do that if this means not having to go through the hassle of the Algerian Embassy in Italy. Also considering I won't be travelling BA/IB but AF.

You confirming this is possible is certainly a big relief. What number of post was the one with your instructions?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
Arrival at ALG was a bit tricky, i hope this helps. As you exit plane you follow a permanent glass jetway bridge that ends at typical roundabout walkway with sign to passport control. No options, I walked towards immigration expecting a transit line. Nope. Lets walk back up and ask someone. Theres a young algerian female gate agent in the hallway. I say Transit Doha. She takes my passport, gets into her cell phone. After a few moments a guy tells me to follow two other passengers to passport control. I walk down the stairs again but it doesnt seem right. Walk back upstairs see the young agent and she asks for my passport again. walks me in reverse through the security at gate. sits me down on a really comfy round sofa for a boarding area and tells me she will get me processed and to wait on the sofa. data point...Wifi is paid and my sprint service doesnt connect. in about two minutes a young guy walks up and asks for my passport. he says hes going to get my boarding passes. Sure enough He walks back in about 5 minutes I can see the BP's in my passport. He chats with her and her group for a moment. I get a glance or two. Then he strolls up and says Heres my passes and that I am on the second flight to Doha that day. His tone was very nice but I think he was making a point that I didnt specify I was on the later flight. He pointed the way to the lounge and here I am with free wifi and soft drinks. Not a place I would plan on spending 8 solid hours but being the first to fly I figured leaving extra time to make backup plans would be smart.

It appears icensft got himself a transit visa. I'd look into that. The airport sucks for 8 hrs. I just noticed I deleted all my previous posts at somepoint.probably because they had too much personal info or rants against airport quality. I will say this everyone at ALG was very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.