Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] (First): BA, AA : PRG - CUN or MEX $799

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] (First): BA, AA : PRG - CUN or MEX $799

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Originally Posted by EZETravel
I called AA they said fare is invalid and I need to contact Customer Relations.
So they decided to take your pig back and told you to get lost. It's a data point. Anyone with practical suggestions ?

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
What are the rules on the trolling on this forum ? Because I def. see one

Anyway, shall we get back to the topic - how to make AA honor the tickets and possibly issue an apology ? Airlines can't be allowed to cancel the tickets unilaterally after customer bought and paid for those.

Imagine you sell a, say, pig on the market (no reference to any ex-US Air management). You sell it for 100$ and someone buys it. Then few days after you get back to this person and take your pig back without informing the person. Because you decided that you should have sold your pig for 1000$ and selling it for 100$ was an error.

Does not sound right, does it ? So I'm looking forward to any practical suggestions, especially from people with legal knowledge

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
The same example is quated a few pages before. In the view of AA aperantly they can. We have to wait for there statement. Tickets are cancelled, lets just wait what they have to say about it.

It's a pitty when I book a ticket and I'm not able to fly I have to pay for a new ticket to fly later, but they can because they mispriced it or whatever.

The only way to do something agains this behavior, just don't book anymore and find a new airline that is more nice to you.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
What are the rules on the trolling on this forum ? Because I def. see one

Anyway, shall we get back to the topic - how to make AA honor the tickets and possibly issue an apology ? Airlines can't be allowed to cancel the tickets unilaterally after customer bought and paid for those.

Imagine you sell a, say, pig on the market (no reference to any ex-US Air management). You sell it for 100$ and someone buys it. Then few days after you get back to this person and take your pig back without informing the person. Because you decided that you should have sold your pig for 1000$ and selling it for 100$ was an error.

Does not sound right, does it ? So I'm looking forward to any practical suggestions, especially from people with legal knowledge

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Correct, in particular where the price paid in this occasion was not so unreasonable! (e.g paying 1$ a ticket that costs 10.000!).

Furthermore if I correctly recall, BA voluntarely sold some ex scandinavia J tickets for 400-500€ few weeks ago, so the price paid this time (>700€ ) is not so unreasonable compared to that one! Of course, it's also a matter of interpretation.

Basically, airlines took the bad (and convenient) practice to discourage people to fly these deals (and to jump-in in the future), without any specific effort. At the end, 99,9% of the buyers will surrender and airlines will have their easy game. Without efforts, expenditures and giving particular explanations.

Last edited by Paul4Travel; Aug 31, 2015 at 9:46 am Reason: adding
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Same story here. Of course when I contact Customer Relations (email only since they now have an unlisted phone number) I got this BS reply...

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations.
Based on the information you have requested, I have determined that our reservation personnel can better address your concerns. They can be reached via 1-800-433-7300 and are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Should you require similar assistance with reservations in the future, we recommend you call the above number for a more expeditious response. We have an around-the-clock dedicated staff of professionals eager to resolve concerns for customers holding open reservations. If you still have questions or concerns after your trip is completed, we'd be happy to hear from you in Customer Relations.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,
Name
Customer Relations
American Airlines
Good, they are giving you a run-around to add the insult to the injury. I really hope someone (not referring to you, in general) will men up and call a lawyer to start a class action

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
Correct, in particular where the price paid in this occasion was not so unreasonable! (e.g paying 1$ a ticket that costs 10.000!).

Furthermore if I correctly recall, BA voluntarely sold some ex scandinavia J tickets for 400-500€ few weeks ago, so the price paid this time (>700€ ) is not so unreasonable compared to that one! Of course, it's also a matter of interpretation.
Agreed. Even if the price ultimately does not matter - customer can not be expected to be an expert of airfares - or pig prices, for that matter. I see one advertised on an official channel - AA website, pig market. I think that this price works for me, I buy it, honestly pay for it. Goods are mine and can not be taken back by the vendor.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Agreed. Even if the price ultimately does not matter - customer can not be expected to be an expert of airfares - or pig prices, for that matter. I see one advertised on an official channel - AA website, pig market. I think that this price works for me, I buy it, honestly pay for it. Goods are mine and can not be taken back by the vendor.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
yep, in principle I agree. Except when a fare is unreasonably low (I buy an Iphone 6 for 0,70€ when it's usually priced 700€)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
So weird that one Error Fare is be honoured and another one is not.

O well, I'll be ready this Thursday for another round
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
And if we want to talk about bad faith can we talk about how enormous amounts of 'taxes and fees' are shifted onto award tickets to negate any value that they may have in saving money. I can think of numerous instances where taxes are just created for the sake presumably to reduce an airline's own tax burden (by reclaiming it back at a later date). People should not think that the tax paid by people sitting to adjacent to one another is the same - this is manipulated and as a result the consumer can expect fare variation. It's a bit like the error fare to Australia that got cancelled. That was £1,000, mostly in taxes and the argument was the ticket didn't have enough tax on it. Really? The fare is still twice the price as an economy ticket with tax included. It could be easy to sound like victims, but no. We would rather being savvy benefits us.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:52 am
Suspended

I am starting to get highly annoyed with the idea that social media and the internet are some villainous tools.

These companies want people to buy on the internet. They want to market on the internet. They want to conduct customer service on the internet.

Then the companies need to stand behind their internet prices or be quick and customer friendly about rectifying mistakes.

This is not a country fair where we try to guess the number of jelly beans in the jar. Put up the price!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
yep, in principle I agree. Except when a fare is unreasonably low (I buy an Iphone 6 for 0,70€ when it's usually priced 700€)
I know what you are saying. Logically I do not agree since in my view the price does not matter. Vendor sets the price, buyer decides if accept it. Once the deal is done the goods can not be taken back.

In any case, this does not apply to this case where you do have a point - the price was not so low.

Now how do we make this matter legally is the question I'm looking to find an answer to

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:58 am

When it comes to error fare or not, my ticket is placed as

PRG - MEX = J,F,J
MEX - PRG = J,Y,J

Note that the real confidence is only at the F leg, the rest is short flys just in front of the place and the way back I'm in couch.
700 euro's is a low price, sure, but is definitly not the same as an Iphone for 0,70 euro. Looks more like a free upgrade on my first way or some promotion.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
....Airlines can't be allowed to cancel the tickets unilaterally after customer bought and paid for those.
Sadly, they can: and they do. Recent high profile bluster and actions to force airlines to honour opportunistic purchases have failed, and each round of failures bolsters the confidence of airlines to cancel, and adds to weight of precedents (formal or not).

Regulators tend to have sympathy for every-day consumers caught out by the system, but I guess there's very little love felt for those of us who turn mistakes to our advantage.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:05 am

I know what you are saying. Logically I do not agree since in my view the price does not matter. Vendor sets the price, buyer decides if accept it. Once the deal is done the goods can not be taken back.

In any case, this does not apply to this case where you do have a point - the price was not so low.

Now how do we make this matter legally is the question I'm looking to find an answer to

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Yep, but you can't be so inflexible! And..at least for some countries, the matter where you could make initially some leverage is that BA couldn't void the contract unilaterally , that's the problem. It doesn't matter if they state that you've accepted their T&C.
Only a judge in the court can void the contract. Not one of the parties. Furthermore where one of the parties is a consumer.

Originally Posted by ottorockit
When it comes to error fare or not, my ticket is placed as

PRG - MEX = J,F,J
MEX - PRG = J,Y,J

Note that the real confidence is only at the F leg, the rest is short flys just in front of the place and the way back I'm in couch.
700 euro's is a low price, sure, but is definitly not the same as an Iphone for 0,70 euro. Looks more like a free upgrade on my first way or some promotion.
I agree, in fact the Iphone 6 example was made just to show where a huge discrepancy is logically detectable by every consumer.

Last edited by Paul4Travel; Aug 31, 2015 at 10:10 am Reason: adding info
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sadly, they can: and they do. Recent high profile bluster and actions to force airlines to honour opportunistic purchases have failed, and each round of failures bolsters the confidence of airlines to cancel, and adds to weight of precedents (formal or not).

Regulators tend to have sympathy for every-day consumers caught out by the system, but I guess there's very little love felt for those of us who turn mistakes to our advantage.
Thank you for the input. I politely disagree I'm sure that most of us did not tried to "turn mistakes to our advantage". I can only talk for myself, but I'm quite sure many fellow travelers see a good fare and decide to buy it without any illicit intentions. I have no way to establish if a certain fare is a sale or a mistake - and actually do not care to. Something is offered at a price I see as acceptable - I buy it. It is mine from this point on and can not be taken back.

Having said this, I am quite sure that European regulators are not of much help and are very week bodies more interested to self-indulge in bureaucracy then support people.

This is why I am hoping that someone will get a lawyer in US, where the customer protection is more appropriate.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:17 am

I am quite sure that European regulators are not of much help and are very week bodies more interested to self-indulge in bureaucracy then support people.

This is why I am hoping that someone will get a lawyer in US, where the customer protection is more appropriate.
I don't know where you live nor where you got the idea that U.S. consumers are more protected but to me it's quite the opposite:
think about EC261 vs nothing
think about 2 years warranty vs 1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.