Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
If you've never gone through this process read this before posting!
Note: Please consider that with high probability, United is monitoring this thread, so please pay attention on what you post!

DOT Investigation UpdatesNews Media Updates:

-------

According to USA Today, Ben Mutzabaugh:
United is voiding the bookings of several thousand individuals who were attempting to take advantage of an error a third-party software provider made when it applied an incorrect currency exchange rate, despite United having properly filed its fares. Most of these bookings were for travel originating in the United Kingdom, and the level of bookings made with Danish Kroner as the local currency was significantly higher than normal during the limited period that customers made these bookings.
Note that United has also accidentally cancelled "legitimate" tickets paid for in USD, purchased in USD from LHR... Please check your other tickets if purchased today to ensure they were not unilaterally cancelled.

However, there is no chance at all that you can have your tickets re-instated if you complain to DOT on the basis of DOT rule § 399.88:
§ 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase price increase.

(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.
Form for filing DOT complaint. File complaint as soon as your ticket is cancelled.

Link to PDF of enforcement bodies for European customers affected. File complaint as soon as your ticket is cancelled.

Tips for DOT Complaint:
  • File on DOT for every ticket number affected.
  • If you have one reservation with four people traveling (four tickets) file 4 DOT complaints, one per ticket.
  • If you have separate reservations, file a DOT complaint for each.
  • The DOT complaint website may take several minutes to load, depending on demand.
  • When you go to upload a file, be careful as it will reset all your radio buttons. So, if you want a copy of the complaint, make sure you double check that "Yes" is still selected before submitting, especially if you upload a file.

Template For Complaint:
United has unilaterally cancelled my ticket without my consent.

Facts:
1. The ticket was ticketed (had a ticket number).
2. I received a confirmation number, ticket number, and emails stating both
3. The ticket was paid for and my credit card charged.

United must reinstate the ticket within its original cabin. This trip is for travel TO the United States.

At no time during the booking process was any other fare than the Danish Krone equivalent displayed. As a reasonable, prudent consumer, I believed I was paying the price displayed to me on the website. United never sent or displayed the equivalent fare in any other currency.

Trip Details
Ticket #: 016XXXXXXXXXX
PNR: XXXXXX
Routing: LHR-EWR-LAX-HNL

Attachments: Attached is a document showing the ticket, routing, and providing proof that the reservation was ticketed.

Filename: Cancelled - UA Reservation - LHR-EWR-LAX-HNL - XXXXXX - 016XXXXXXXXXX.pdf

+-------------------------------------------------------+
| Relevant Law |
| http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.88 |
§ 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase price increase.

(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.

| Relevant FAQ |
| http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/EAPP_2_FAQ.pdf |
Does the prohibition on post-purchase price increases in section 399.88(a) apply in the situation where a carrier mistakenly offers an airfare due to a computer problem or human error and a consumer purchases the ticket at that fare before the carrier is able to fix the mistake?

Section 399.88(a) states that it is an unfair and deceptive practice for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, or of a tour or tour component that includes scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation to a consumer after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of a government-imposed tax or fee and only if the passenger is advised of a possible increase before purchasing a ticket. A purchase occurs when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer. Therefore, if a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.”
-----
Tips for retrieving your ticket number:
  1. paste(right click copy link location first) following link into your web browser
  2. change XXXXXX next to COPNR= for your reservation number and LASTNAME next to LN= for you SURNAME
  3. go to the webpage address you have just created

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...NRCD=2/11/2015

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
R E L A X

Breathe deep.

Congrats on all who got in.

Now comes the fun part.

1. Discovery - mistake fare is posted on FT. Novices frantically checks how much vacation time they have and if the dates of availability mesh with their schedules. Experienced FTers just book it and worry about contacting spouses or their boss later. Word spreads like wildfire.

2. Excitement - Tickets purchased, confirmation emails received and dates of travel shared with other FTers. Discussions of what to see and do and where to stay crop up in other threads. Novices contact source to change seats or inquire about upgrades, Seasoned FTers sit back and enjoy reading the discussion threads.

3. Stress Stage 1 - Concern over paper ticket delivery - Novices Frantically check otheFedEx website every few hours, constant monitoring of driveway for FedEx truck. Seasoned FT veterans sit back and relax.

4. Glee and happiness - Paper tickets in hand, vacation request submitted, spouses finally informed, hotel reservations made and bragging to friends and co-workers begins. Both novices and experts get very excited.

5. Stress Stage 2 - Rumors of fare not being honored, discussion threads about the airline and ticketing agency ensue. Rumors crop up like crabgrass at this stage. Many FTers begin to worry excessively about whether or not the trip will happen. Novices make non-refundable and financial committments to their trip. Seasoned FTers make mixed drinks (and maybe a sandwich) and is patient.

6. Reality Check - Accurate information is obtained - usually takes place a week to 10 days after mistake fare is published. Confirmed information from the source as to whether or not tickets will be honored.

7a. Pure Joy (Icelandair style- Fare is Honored) - Lots of happy people, FT threads on shared information regarding hotels, restaurants, tours, etc. Jealousy from others sets in. First "FT guinea pigs" embark, post confirmation threads that all is ok.

7b Hostile Feelings (Copa Airlines Style - fare is not honored) - Many angry and disappointed FTers. Refunds are issued. Novices have multiple discussion threads of lawsuits and hostile correspondence, FT pros mutter "c'est la vie" and look for the next fare mistake.

8a Success (Honored) - Trip Report thread becomes very active

Freedom of Information Act Request
File #2015-147, Office of the Secretary of Transportation - Receipt acknowledged 3/13/15

http://www.dot.gov/individuals/foia/office-secretary-foia-information

Relevant excerpt from my request on 2/24/15. There no need for multiple requests for the same thing, though feel free to request more or different information obviously. I'll post any updates as I get them.

"Under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S. C. subsection 552, I am requesting access to any and all records of correspondence, including electronic, between anyone working for, or on the behalf of, United Airlines and its subsidiaries, and with anyone working for, or on the behalf of, the Department of Transportation; specifically this would include only the date range beginning on February 11th, 2015 through and including February 24th, 2015.

In addition, I am requesting access to any and all internal records and correspondence in relation to coming to the decision made on February 23rd, 2015 regarding the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings Determination Regarding United Airlines Mistaken Fare, with the exception of any of the consumer submitted complaints via phone, email, website, or letter. Specifically, this would be any records beginning on February 11th, 2015 through and including February 24th, 2015."
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by vision20
First there are really two forums in question. DOT and a civil court. I didn't know you wanted to focus on the latter. I'm fairly certain most people are principally concerned with how the DOT will rule and not a jury. Since we are talking about the DOT, does the DOT care whether the consumer knew it was a mistake fare? If you look at the way previous cases were handled by the DOT you would see that that is not really the issue. Are you still going back to your unilateral mistake argument that already the DOT does not currently hold to?

Can you reform your argument? I'm not too interested in seeing how a civil court would handle such a case. Let's focus on the upcoming DOT ruling.
I talked about it upthread, but this is a very, very long thread.

I think statutes and regulations are generally interpreted consistent with their purpose. And while I am not the DOT, I think I have some inkling of the purpose of their regulation. I can think of obvious ones:

1. To prevent airlines from canceling tickets as a result of what you might call "seller's remorse", after an intended fare reduction does not have the intended market effect or is determined to have cost the airline too much money, or engaging in similar forms of bad faith conduct with respect to non-mistaken airfares which in retrospect turned out to be dumb business decisions.

2. To protect people who go to an authorized agent of the airline, are quoted a very low fare, pay for a ticket, and go ahead and make travel plans, pay deposits, take time off of work, etc., only to have the airline come back to them and say "pay us thousands of dollars more or you won't fly!".

To prevent these things from happening, the DOT departed from the common law rule of unilateral mistake and said that instead, we would require airlines to honor mistaken fares to prevent against 1 and protect the people in category 2.

The question posed here is that you have a situation that doesn't really relate to either of the two purposes of the rule. United wasn't trial ballooning a ridculously low fare for their elite Global First product only for Danish people (and indeed, the EU regulation arguments made by people early in the thread basically refute that this could possibly be the case, as United wasn't even allowed to do this under EU law and therefore couldn't have been trying). And certainly for the most part, the people who bought these tickets are people whose local currency wasn't even the DKK and whose credit cards did not even actually have a Danish billing address. They clearly understood by their conduct that this was some sort of mistake, that if they booked in a different currency they would be quoted the "real" fare, and the error was discovered very, very fast, which means that a person would have had to have been acting unreasonably if they larded up on non-refundable travel deposits and reservations based on one of these tickets before UA notified them they weren't going to get to travel.

So the legal issue is, does the DOT regulation, which clearly applies where either of its purposes are being served, also apply in a situation where it is completely divorced from its purposes?

I suspect that the DOT will rule that it does not. Because it's entirely possible to protect people from airlines engaging in gamesmanship on their fares or people who innocently book a mistaken airfare and make their plans consistent with it while not applying the rule to a situation where the passengers had to consciously select a particular foreign currency and (perhaps) state an incorrect credit card billing address in order to get the mistake airfare, and did it precisely with the intention of obtaining an airfare that they knew was grossly erroneous.

But I do not say that with certainty. It is also possible-- and this is your best hope, I think-- that the DOT will decide that it is too big a can of worms to open up to start drawing distinctions between passengers who game the website and those who don't, and as a result will decide that the regulation extends to this case as well. (A third possibility is that this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and the DOT will expedite publication of a rule repealing their regulation-- a result that I would consider very bad, because, as I said, I do think that the current regulation protects a class of travelers whom I think should be protected.)

What I will say with certainty is that I have no doubt that the DOT, and anyone in any capacity deciding any dispute based on these tickets, will at least give consideration to the manner in which they were booked and are certainly going to be aware of it. I realize people want to argue that the manner of booking is all irrelevant, but there's no way the DOT or anyone else is going to see this as exactly the same case as other mistake fares where no gaming of the website was necessary to claim the fare.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Starbucks Gold
oh please just stop steering the conversation in the direction that we are "abusing".
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp

a. X made a contract with Y.
b. The contract contained a term that we will assume arguendo is mistaken. (I realize there are arguments flying around that it isn't, but I am trying to keep that point fixed so I can analyze yours.)
c. In order to obtain the mistaken contract term, X had to do two things: pay for the purchase in DKK rather than any other currency, and say that X's credit card had a Danish billing address.
d. The actual reason X chose to pay for the purchase in DKK (and perhaps incorrectly indicate a Danish credit card billing address) was to obtain the mistaken contract term.
e. However, there are other transactions in which X, and other people similarly situated, might pay or a purchase in DKK and use a credit card with a Danish billing address for reasons having nothing to do with attempting to obtain a mistaken contract term.
f. Therefore courts and regulatory agencies must ignore "d" and focus only on "e".
This is a good short version however - the address thing is still being flogged to death. All one had to do was search on Danish website and/or pay in DKK
It was not absolutely necessary to pay using Denmark in address field when paying by card no matter where you or your card are based. This would change perspective on c and e above.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:53 pm

There are significant problems with bringing a civil suit, especially if the DOT rules against the passengers.

But despite Ginsberg, in any such suit, (1) contract law would apply, (2) it is at least arguable that the "abusive or illogical" provision does not apply to an mistake fare (it's a contract of adhesion, terms are construed against the drafter, and I bet there's drafting history that the term had nothing to do with mistake fares), and (3) the plaintiff would at the very least be able to cite the DOT rule and argue that it preempts the doctrine of contractual mistake with respect to airline tickets-- the lack of a private right of action is not dispositive on this piont.

I think if the DOT were to rule in the passengers' favor, despite the points you make, a civil suit could become an intriguing possibility. However, if the DOT rules against the passengers, it would be extremely tough because the common law doctrine of unilateral mistake clearly permits UA's actions (at least with respect to most of the tickets) and the DOT's interpretation of its own regulation would be given deference.
(1)Ginsberg wouldn't stop a suit to enforce a contract as written, it would however eliminate arguments involving things such as good faith or fair dealing, (2) I'd bet the history of abusive, etc. is to give UA the maximum flexibility to do whatever it wanted (hard to overcome this without fair dealing, etc.) and (3) I doubt a court would allow what would essentially be a private right of action to enforce DOT regs.

If the DOT were to rule in the passenger's favor a civil suit would seem unnecessary.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingLasse
oh please just stop steering the conversation in the direction that we are "abusing".
Lasse:

I did not use the word "abusing". I did, however, say that the manner in which the tickets were purchased was relevant.

We can't render any discussion of even the LEGAL implications of the manner in which the tickets were procured into a verboten personal attack. It is not one. Like it or not, the DOT will consider how the tickets were purchased, and they are certainly aware of how they were purchased. As is United Airlines, as is any other regulatory agency that anyone contacts, and as will be any court where a claim was brought.

I have made it very clear on several occasions and I will again here that I don't view the people who bought these tickets as any sort of bad people. There are aviation columnists on the Internet who have taken that position; I do not. I view them as people who were taking a shot, and I don't think there's anything horrible about taking a shot.

I do, however, view the manner of purchase as an extremely relevant issue to how this gets decided. Not because the consumers were doing anything wrong, but because it bears on whether they are within the class of intended beneficiaries of the DOT rule and whether they have a claim under contract law.

(1)Ginsberg wouldn't stop a suit to enforce a contract as written, it would however eliminate arguments involving things such as good faith or fair dealing, (2) I'd bet the history of abusive, etc. is to give UA the maximum flexibility to do whatever it wanted (hard to overcome this without fair dealing, etc.) and (3) I doubt a court would allow what would essentially be a private right of action to enforce DOT regs.

If the DOT were to rule in the passenger's favor a civil suit would seem unnecessary.
2. Contracts of adhesion have to be very specific (that's why they are so long). The scope of such a broad contractual clause will be construed AGAINST United. Indeed, if I were United's lawyer and my only argument in a case were the "abusive / illogical" provision, I would recommend they settle the case. (There's also another problem with it in that a broad interpretation of it renders the consideration illusory. United has to be bound to do SOMETHING in exchange for your money.)

3. I have on a couple of occasions, WON the argument that a federal law or regulation that does not create a private right of action can nonetheless be taken into account when interpreting or determining the scope of state law. All no private right of action means is you can't sue directly under it. It doesn't mean anything else.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by dlandz
Yes I agree that a civil suit against the airline would be difficult. I step back on what I said earlier, the common contract law may have the only legal precedence in court against a company. However, you could sue the Department of Transportation if they fail to enforce their regulations (United might voluntarily enter that suit on DOT's side). If you win against DOT, it would put the burden back on United of how they wish to remedy the complaints levied against them (pay the fine, or resolve the complaint to the equivalent of the cancelled ticket, or sue DOT themselves over whether they have the legal authority to impose such regulations)
The latitude given to regulatory agencies and doctrines such as prosecutorial discretion would seem to make such a suit by passengers against the DOT highly improbable, at best.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dml105
Unless you paid by Western Union, it's going to cost you between ZERO and $200, depending on when you cancel your ticket. In that manner, if we were going by reciprocity, this is in fact reciprocal.
I am not referring to this mistake, I am referring to any ticket I buy that is not a full flex fare. For example, I had a friend who needed a flight on 2/14 and accidentally booked on 3/14 but didn't realize it until a few days before the flight. $200 fee plus the difference between what he bought and full-fare Y. That is normal business for UA. It doesn't matter that he made a mistake, he has no other option than paying triple his original price.
In this scenario, you purposely bought a ticket with restrictions and did not cancel within the fee-free window. Is that a "mistake?" Is United "abusing" you in this situation? (My only beef on this thread was the accusation that voiding these DKK tickets constitutes "abuse.")
See above. You are misunderstanding my example.
That's not my question. No, United should not give you a Yugo when you paid for a Rolls Royce, and if they do, you have MANY avenues of recourse, as does this gentleman in the economist's example. But I still cannot see any connection here - big bad evil company hurts this guy, so we all get to hurt big bad evil company back?
When you get on a plane, there is always a decent chance that the person sitting next you paid 10x or 20x the price you did. UA regularly sells Yugos for Rolls Royce pricing and gets away with it, it is SOP for them. It is their business model. It is the primary driver of their profitability.

In the Economist example, the only thing the customer is entitled to sue for is half the price of his original ticket, the refund he was promised. He has no recourse for the fact that he paid $7000 for a ticket while his neighbor paid $350. Not receiving the $3k refund he was promised was just salt in the wounds.

So yes, that is my argument. If a big bad company makes a billion dollars in profit by selling Yugos at Rolls Royce prices, and penalizing customers for every mistake or change they make, then YES, it is abusive to cancel tickets when the airline makes a mistake and sells a few Rolls Royces at Yugo prices.

And apparently, someone at DOT agreed with me. They made a clear regulation governing this exact situation, which says an airline can't cancel a ticket because of a mistake.

The airlines are abusive and have ridiculous pricing. The behavior is so egregious that the airlines' primary regulatory body took away the 'normal' contractual recourse of unilateral mistake with respect to airline tickets. So yes, it is exactly that - "big bad evil company hurts [consumers], so we all get to hurt big bad evil company back."

If you are still confused, please read the DOT regulations and the DOT FAQ that explain why this regulation is necessary, and if that doesn't help, read the public comments that sparked the regulation. I think I have done all I can to explain my viewpoint to you in this thread.

Last edited by janetdoe; Feb 18, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:29 pm

I talked about it upthread, but this is a very, very long thread.

I think statutes and regulations are generally interpreted consistent with their purpose. And while I am not the DOT, I think I have some inkling of the purpose of their regulation. I can think of obvious ones:

1. To prevent airlines from canceling tickets as a result of what you might call "seller's remorse", after an intended fare reduction does not have the intended market effect or is determined to have cost the airline too much money, or engaging in similar forms of bad faith conduct with respect to non-mistaken airfares which in retrospect turned out to be dumb business decisions.

2. To protect people who go to an authorized agent of the airline, are quoted a very low fare, pay for a ticket, and go ahead and make travel plans, pay deposits, take time off of work, etc., only to have the airline come back to them and say "pay us thousands of dollars more or you won't fly!".

To prevent these things from happening, the DOT departed from the common law rule of unilateral mistake and said that instead, we would require airlines to honor mistaken fares to prevent against 1 and protect the people in category 2.

The question posed here is that you have a situation that doesn't really relate to either of the two purposes of the rule. United wasn't trial ballooning a ridculously low fare for their elite Global First product only for Danish people (and indeed, the EU regulation arguments made by people early in the thread basically refute that this could possibly be the case, as United wasn't even allowed to do this under EU law and therefore couldn't have been trying). And certainly for the most part, the people who bought these tickets are people whose local currency wasn't even the DKK and whose credit cards did not even actually have a Danish billing address. They clearly understood by their conduct that this was some sort of mistake, that if they booked in a different currency they would be quoted the "real" fare, and the error was discovered very, very fast, which means that a person would have had to have been acting unreasonably if they larded up on non-refundable travel deposits and reservations based on one of these tickets before UA notified them they weren't going to get to travel.

So the legal issue is, does the DOT regulation, which clearly applies where either of its purposes are being served, also apply in a situation where it is completely divorced from its purposes?

I suspect that the DOT will rule that it does not. Because it's entirely possible to protect people from airlines engaging in gamesmanship on their fares or people who innocently book a mistaken airfare and make their plans consistent with it while not applying the rule to a situation where the passengers had to consciously select a particular foreign currency and (perhaps) state an incorrect credit card billing address in order to get the mistake airfare, and did it precisely with the intention of obtaining an airfare that they knew was grossly erroneous.

But I do not say that with certainty. It is also possible-- and this is your best hope, I think-- that the DOT will decide that it is too big a can of worms to open up to start drawing distinctions between passengers who game the website and those who don't, and as a result will decide that the regulation extends to this case as well. (A third possibility is that this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and the DOT will expedite publication of a rule repealing their regulation-- a result that I would consider very bad, because, as I said, I do think that the current regulation protects a class of travelers whom I think should be protected.)

What I will say with certainty is that I have no doubt that the DOT, and anyone in any capacity deciding any dispute based on these tickets, will at least give consideration to the manner in which they were booked and are certainly going to be aware of it. I realize people want to argue that the manner of booking is all irrelevant, but there's no way the DOT or anyone else is going to see this as exactly the same case as other mistake fares where no gaming of the website was necessary to claim the fare.
Here is the problem with your arguments.

1) Although I do agree with intents 1) and 2) you really didn't read the DOT reg very carefully. They specifically outlined 3) to include (and please read this carefully) "situation where a carrier mistakenly offers an airfare due to a computer problem or human error and a consumer purchases the ticket at that fare before the carrier is able to fix the mistake". Why? They state very overtly that it is UNFAIR. There is nothing in the regulation that indicates that the consumer needed to "know" it was a mistake. That is completely irrelevant. The issue is FAIRNESS. They recognize that a consumer will make plans based on the purchase price which includes nonrefundable lodging, transportation etc. Since much of this also affects also same-day travelers, they decided not to impose a time-restriction.

2) There was no "gaming of the system". The term "gaming" seems to imply that the users fraudulently broke into the system to produce these fares. All of these consumers simply used the site as the site was designed. The address as others have already indicated is irrelevant as well. Continuing to harp on the "manner in which the system was accessed" really shows poor understanding of global e-commerce. Only a person who does not routinely make purchases outside of US would think of this as "gaming" the system. To give you a simple example, let's say Katie Melua's new CD was being sold on the UK version of Amazon for $.99 at 90% less than what it was selling on the US version of the site. Would it be considered "gaming the system" if consumers went to that site and purchased the CD to have it shipped to the states? Hardly.

The DOT reg is not divorced from its purpose as I CLEARLY indicated. The reg specifically states its purpose which fits this scenario EXACTLY. That is why UA is repeatedly trying to frame this as a "third-party" error, which as we all know is another faulty argument doomed for failure.

Ultimately I don't know how the DOT will respond either but I'm hopeful they will do the right thing.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by janetdoe
....Glad I checked into this thread today, that is definitely food for thought.
I am glad you checked into this thread today too...

I think you going in a fundamentally wrong direction by trying to apply typical contract law to an airline.

Simply put, the rules don't apply to airlines. They have their own set of rules.

For example, this seems like a pretty typical example:
1. I purchase a ticket with UA that is supposed to get me to SFO at 10 am Monday morning. I have a 3:00 meeting to sign an important contract.
2. Due to UA's negligence, there is a mechanical problem with the plane I am supposed to fly on. All the other flights are going out on time, but they are booked full. Since my flight is only delayed a few hours, UA refuses to rebook me on another airline.
3. UA says I can switch to another flight, but I will have to throw away my $119 ticket (valueless due to the $150 change fee) and pay $1750, the cost of full-fare Y from DFW-SFO.

In what other industry can you create artificial scarcity due to your own negligence, and then jack up the price more than 10x in order for the customer to get some semblance of what they originally agreed to, and not get sued out of existence for fraud and/or price gouging?

The airlines are totally unique and have huge and arcane bodies of regulation that allow them to get away with things that would be unthinkable in any other industry.

So when one of those regulations happens to fall in the customer's favor, you might understand why we expect that regulation to prevail, in the face of circumstances that would be considered obscene in any other industry or court of law.
I am amazed at how well this describes the real reason so many are taking the airline to task. Someone who has never experienced these issues will never understand. Fortunately (hopefully), those who we as consumers rely on to set matters straight are probably tired of the same issues.

A related story, I once I got a parking ticket once in front of a Starbucks 5 minutes before the free parking limit was up. The judge I was in front of when fighting the ticket was a Starbucks coffee drinker and showed me mercy.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:35 pm

I am not referring to this mistake, I am referring to any ticket I buy that is not a full flex fare. For example, I had a friend who needed a flight on 2/14 and accidentally booked on 3/14 but didn't realize it until a few days before the flight. $200 fee plus the difference between what he bought and full-fare Y. That is normal business for UA. It doesn't matter that he made a mistake, he has no other option than paying triple his original price.
See above. You are misunderstanding my example.

When you get on a plane, there is always a decent chance that the person sitting next you paid 1/10th or 1/20th of the price you did. UA regularly sells Yugos for Rolls Royce pricing and gets away with it, it is SOP for them. It is their business model. It is the primary driver of their profitability.

In the Economist example, the only thing the customer is entitled to sue for is half the price of his original ticket, the refund he was promised. He has no recourse for the fact that he paid $7000 for a ticket while his neighbor paid $350. Not receiving the $3k refund he was promised was just salt in the wounds.

So yes, that is my argument. If a big bad company makes a billion dollars in profit by selling Yugos at Rolls Royce prices, and penalizing customers for every mistake or change they make, then YES, it is abusive to cancel tickets when the airline makes a mistake and sells a few Rolls Royces at Yugo prices.

And apparently, someone at DOT agreed with me. They made a clear regulation governing this exact situation, which says an airline can't cancel a ticket because of a mistake.

The airlines are abusive and have ridiculous pricing. The behavior is so egregious that the airlines' primary regulatory body took away the 'normal' contractual recourse of unilateral mistake with respect to airline tickets. So yes, it is exactly that - "big bad evil company hurts this guy consumers, so we all get to hurt big bad evil company back."

If you are still confused, please read the DOT regulations and the DOT FAQ that explain why this regulation is necessary, and if that doesn't help, read the public comments that sparked the regulation. I think I have done all I can to explain my viewpoint here.
Nothing else to add but ^^
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
My personal opinion (cutting some of my booked travels, by the way..)

UA having to honour 1 F ticket per person on their own metal (if more than one route in F got booked by a single individual, he gets to choose which one he/she likes in F)

UA having to honour all fares touching US soil in Business class (F domestic) -> ie, downgrades from F without "compensation" on international routes, where such routes were booked, bookings in C and Y to be reinstasted (and yes, many Polish people booked in Y )

Routes which aren't touching US soul are void. (haha to many Germans)
What about cases, in this case, then, where there was MPM overage as a result of deliberately obtaining partner metal.
(I know for the Australia fare, it was possible to book
UA LONCHI
UA CHISIN
QF* operated by EK SINMEL)
Also, in your case, even honouring F on international fare components may require interline with other carriers
i.e. the return of this ticket
QF MELSYD
UA SYDSFO
UA SFOCHI
UA CHILON
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by stinger101
Why did they end up honoring the Wideroe.no deals? That wasn't on their system?
What were the circumstances of the wideroe.no deal?

I recall specifically 2 UA internal system issues they honored: the mileage award mistake and the pricing one.

Originally Posted by Lack
Dog ate my homework doesn't fly when you leave kindergarten, and certain not for a 38b company.
But in reality, many companies use that similar line of excuse. Amazon does it all the time when something is mispriced. Why can't UA?

Originally Posted by Lack
UA would be sending a debit memo to the OTA, even if the OTA itself had used a 3rd party.
Also, it the OTA (or UA) had used Amadeus to auto price, then Amadeus would cover the mistakes.
And if OTA doesn't agree to the debit memo and turns around and cancels the tickets?

Or if Amadeus covers the mistake, the point is UA doesn't feel compelled to honor it.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

Putting in plainly, if UA was a beloved corporation with integrity, great customer service and fair in its business practices how many here would have any issues if this weren't honored?
The majority of ticket buyers would.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:21 pm

Here is the problem with your arguments.

1) Although I do agree with intents 1) and 2) you really didn't read the DOT reg very carefully. They specifically outlined 3) to include (and please read this carefully) "situation where a carrier mistakenly offers an airfare due to a computer problem or human error and a consumer purchases the ticket at that fare before the carrier is able to fix the mistake". Why? They state very overtly that it is UNFAIR. There is nothing in the regulation that indicates that the consumer needed to "know" it was a mistake. That is completely irrelevant. The issue is FAIRNESS. They recognize that a consumer will make plans based on the purchase price which includes nonrefundable lodging, transportation etc. Since much of this also affects also same-day travelers, they decided not to impose a time-restriction.

2) There was no "gaming of the system". The term "gaming" seems to imply that the users fraudulently broke into the system to produce these fares. All of these consumers simply used the site as the site was designed. The address as others have already indicated is irrelevant as well. Continuing to harp on the "manner in which the system was accessed" really shows poor understanding of global e-commerce. Only a person who does not routinely make purchases outside of US would think of this as "gaming" the system. To give you a simple example, let's say Katie Melua's new CD was being sold on the UK version of Amazon for $.99 at 90% less than what it was selling on the US version of the site. Would it be considered "gaming the system" if consumers went to that site and purchased the CD to have it shipped to the states? Hardly.

The DOT reg is not divorced from its purpose as I CLEARLY indicated. The reg specifically states its purpose which fits this scenario EXACTLY. That is why UA is repeatedly trying to frame this as a "third-party" error, which as we all know is another faulty argument doomed for failure.

Ultimately I don't know how the DOT will respond either but I'm hopeful they will do the right thing.
1. You assume that because the agency said that it is generally unfair, that means that every single expected application of the principle is unfair.

Consider this example. A lot of people criticize US drug laws as draconian. It is unfair, they argue, to lock up casual drug users for long sentences. However, suppose there is a local drug dealer who sells hard drugs exclusively to young children. That drug dealer is prosecuted under the same law, the Controlled Substances Act.

The Controlled Substances Act can be both GENERALLY unfair and totally fair when applied to that particular drug dealer.

The DOT certainly did not go through and hypothesize every single possible scenario in which a mistake fare was offered. Rather, they made a rule based on the principle of protecting people who purchased such tickets and then acted in reasonable reliance thereon, only to later face a demand for a much higher fare or cancellation of their trip. That, the DOT determined to be unfair.

Do you really believe that the DOT also determined that it would be unfair to cancel, within a few hours, the ticket of a person who deliberately exploited an error in the coding of an airline's website by engaging in conduct that could be called dodgy-- purchasing in a currency they had no reason to use and perhaps including an inaccurate credit card billing address-- to get a fare that's 100 fold too low?

I don't think that the DOT ever made THAT determination. Maybe they did. Or maybe they determined that they didn't want to go down that road even though they knew it was a possibility. I think that's your best hope.

But I suspect the DOT is likely to see the manner of ticketing as relevant here.

2. "Gaming" is different than fraud (though bear in mind that with respect to RESCISSION of a contract, fraud doctrines do not require a showing that the buyer lied, merely that he or she misled or did not tell the full truth). If you have ever played poker, there's a distinction between cheats and angle shooters.

A cheat is someone who deliberately violates explicit rules. For instance, putting cards up your sleeve is cheating. The equivalent here might be a person who uses a stolen credit card to purchase an airline ticket, and flies on it. That's cheating.

An angle-shooter is someone who always maintains an argument that he or she is in technical compliance of the rules, but does not believe there is any such thing as the "spirit of the law" and believes that any action that maintains technical compliance but pursues an advantage is permissible.

An example in poker is a player who, while the player to her right is deciding how to act, makes a motion with her cards as if to fold them. The player to her right then bets out, and rather than folding, she raises. According to the rules, her action out of turn is not binding, and she is entitled to raise. However, she is shooting an angle-- doing something in technical compliance with the rules but which gives her a weak claim should something go wrong.

And that last part is the point-- let's say she makes that folding motion and the cards fly out of her hands and into the muck. If she has had a history of trying to trick players with that action, do you think the floorman is going to allow her to retrieve her cards?

I am undecided as to exactly what representations were being made by United's customers here. I do think there are plausible arguments that you weren't EXACTLY asked for your residence. But at the same time, you WERE asked a bunch of questions that at least are related to residence, and those questions were answered in a way that they would not have been answered, in most instances, absent the fact that the user knew there was a mistake fare that could be claimed if the buyer appeared Danish to the website.

I think that's clearly a form of gamesmanship. It's shooting an angle. And I'm coming to believe that a number of people don't realize that there are gradations of user conduct that fall somewhere between "full and complete adherence with the letter and spirit of all regulations and complete and upfront dealing without relying on technicalities of any sort" and "despicable fraud".

I am suggesting that "gaming" is a good description for such in between cases. If you think there's a better description, however, I am all ears.

Finally, don't read too much into United's invocation of "third parties". They are not required to reveal their legal arguments to you. I assure you, if their lawyers aren't screaming from the rooftops about user conduct to the DOT, they aren't doing their jobs.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
If anybody adds anything substantive, rather than their opinions, legal musings, or just false information etc in the next 12 hours, I will send them a bottle of great tequila.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.