Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
If you've never gone through this process read this before posting!
Note: Please consider that with high probability, United is monitoring this thread, so please pay attention on what you post!

DOT Investigation UpdatesNews Media Updates:

-------

According to USA Today, Ben Mutzabaugh:
United is voiding the bookings of several thousand individuals who were attempting to take advantage of an error a third-party software provider made when it applied an incorrect currency exchange rate, despite United having properly filed its fares. Most of these bookings were for travel originating in the United Kingdom, and the level of bookings made with Danish Kroner as the local currency was significantly higher than normal during the limited period that customers made these bookings.
Note that United has also accidentally cancelled "legitimate" tickets paid for in USD, purchased in USD from LHR... Please check your other tickets if purchased today to ensure they were not unilaterally cancelled.

However, there is no chance at all that you can have your tickets re-instated if you complain to DOT on the basis of DOT rule § 399.88:
§ 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase price increase.

(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.
Form for filing DOT complaint. File complaint as soon as your ticket is cancelled.

Link to PDF of enforcement bodies for European customers affected. File complaint as soon as your ticket is cancelled.

Tips for DOT Complaint:
  • File on DOT for every ticket number affected.
  • If you have one reservation with four people traveling (four tickets) file 4 DOT complaints, one per ticket.
  • If you have separate reservations, file a DOT complaint for each.
  • The DOT complaint website may take several minutes to load, depending on demand.
  • When you go to upload a file, be careful as it will reset all your radio buttons. So, if you want a copy of the complaint, make sure you double check that "Yes" is still selected before submitting, especially if you upload a file.

Template For Complaint:
United has unilaterally cancelled my ticket without my consent.

Facts:
1. The ticket was ticketed (had a ticket number).
2. I received a confirmation number, ticket number, and emails stating both
3. The ticket was paid for and my credit card charged.

United must reinstate the ticket within its original cabin. This trip is for travel TO the United States.

At no time during the booking process was any other fare than the Danish Krone equivalent displayed. As a reasonable, prudent consumer, I believed I was paying the price displayed to me on the website. United never sent or displayed the equivalent fare in any other currency.

Trip Details
Ticket #: 016XXXXXXXXXX
PNR: XXXXXX
Routing: LHR-EWR-LAX-HNL

Attachments: Attached is a document showing the ticket, routing, and providing proof that the reservation was ticketed.

Filename: Cancelled - UA Reservation - LHR-EWR-LAX-HNL - XXXXXX - 016XXXXXXXXXX.pdf

+-------------------------------------------------------+
| Relevant Law |
| http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.88 |
§ 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase price increase.

(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.

| Relevant FAQ |
| http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/EAPP_2_FAQ.pdf |
Does the prohibition on post-purchase price increases in section 399.88(a) apply in the situation where a carrier mistakenly offers an airfare due to a computer problem or human error and a consumer purchases the ticket at that fare before the carrier is able to fix the mistake?

Section 399.88(a) states that it is an unfair and deceptive practice for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, or of a tour or tour component that includes scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation to a consumer after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of a government-imposed tax or fee and only if the passenger is advised of a possible increase before purchasing a ticket. A purchase occurs when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer. Therefore, if a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.”
-----
Tips for retrieving your ticket number:
  1. paste(right click copy link location first) following link into your web browser
  2. change XXXXXX next to COPNR= for your reservation number and LASTNAME next to LN= for you SURNAME
  3. go to the webpage address you have just created

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...NRCD=2/11/2015

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
R E L A X

Breathe deep.

Congrats on all who got in.

Now comes the fun part.

1. Discovery - mistake fare is posted on FT. Novices frantically checks how much vacation time they have and if the dates of availability mesh with their schedules. Experienced FTers just book it and worry about contacting spouses or their boss later. Word spreads like wildfire.

2. Excitement - Tickets purchased, confirmation emails received and dates of travel shared with other FTers. Discussions of what to see and do and where to stay crop up in other threads. Novices contact source to change seats or inquire about upgrades, Seasoned FTers sit back and enjoy reading the discussion threads.

3. Stress Stage 1 - Concern over paper ticket delivery - Novices Frantically check otheFedEx website every few hours, constant monitoring of driveway for FedEx truck. Seasoned FT veterans sit back and relax.

4. Glee and happiness - Paper tickets in hand, vacation request submitted, spouses finally informed, hotel reservations made and bragging to friends and co-workers begins. Both novices and experts get very excited.

5. Stress Stage 2 - Rumors of fare not being honored, discussion threads about the airline and ticketing agency ensue. Rumors crop up like crabgrass at this stage. Many FTers begin to worry excessively about whether or not the trip will happen. Novices make non-refundable and financial committments to their trip. Seasoned FTers make mixed drinks (and maybe a sandwich) and is patient.

6. Reality Check - Accurate information is obtained - usually takes place a week to 10 days after mistake fare is published. Confirmed information from the source as to whether or not tickets will be honored.

7a. Pure Joy (Icelandair style- Fare is Honored) - Lots of happy people, FT threads on shared information regarding hotels, restaurants, tours, etc. Jealousy from others sets in. First "FT guinea pigs" embark, post confirmation threads that all is ok.

7b Hostile Feelings (Copa Airlines Style - fare is not honored) - Many angry and disappointed FTers. Refunds are issued. Novices have multiple discussion threads of lawsuits and hostile correspondence, FT pros mutter "c'est la vie" and look for the next fare mistake.

8a Success (Honored) - Trip Report thread becomes very active

Freedom of Information Act Request
File #2015-147, Office of the Secretary of Transportation - Receipt acknowledged 3/13/15

http://www.dot.gov/individuals/foia/office-secretary-foia-information

Relevant excerpt from my request on 2/24/15. There no need for multiple requests for the same thing, though feel free to request more or different information obviously. I'll post any updates as I get them.

"Under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S. C. subsection 552, I am requesting access to any and all records of correspondence, including electronic, between anyone working for, or on the behalf of, United Airlines and its subsidiaries, and with anyone working for, or on the behalf of, the Department of Transportation; specifically this would include only the date range beginning on February 11th, 2015 through and including February 24th, 2015.

In addition, I am requesting access to any and all internal records and correspondence in relation to coming to the decision made on February 23rd, 2015 regarding the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings Determination Regarding United Airlines Mistaken Fare, with the exception of any of the consumer submitted complaints via phone, email, website, or letter. Specifically, this would be any records beginning on February 11th, 2015 through and including February 24th, 2015."
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Given the DOT regulation which clearly says mistake fares must be honored, I already was making solid plans on the basis of this. The rest of my family was adjusting obligations (my brother turned down a $1k contract based on these dates instead of the EI dates) and making plans.
If it really is the case that you encouraged your friends and family to make financial commitments before knowing that the fares would be honoured, then I fear there were elements of recklessness in your actions.

Everyman and his dog knew the fares were mistakes, and mistakes of such a gross nature that the tickets were instruments of precarious value.

Our only hope is a DOT regulation yet to be interpreted in an arena where its intended scale and scope will be sorely tested.

Not being able to rely on advertised, purchased, and confirmed prices is abusive harm. It is broadly acknowledged by economists and vividly demonstrated by banana republics that lack of contract solidity (nationalization of oil companies, Russian-style crony capitalism), fiat currency uncertainty (rapid inflation or deflation Zimbabwe-style), and all manner of not having the solidity of knowing that a deal is a deal at the agreed upon value, bring extreme economic harm in the macro. Movement toward that model where certain big businesses own the government and make the rules of contracts asymmetrical is bad. No, this issue will not cause economic collapse in the US, but it will do damage to the public's trust in buying airline tickets and knowing that a confirmation is a confirmation, which does bring economic damage. However, the greatest harm and abuse is the macro trend toward crony capitalism where the rules are different for the big guys versus the little guys.

If I make a bankrupting financial mistake, I lose my house; AIG makes a bankrupting financial mistake, they get an $85b bailout. I make a mistake in purchasing tickets, they're non-refundable; United makes a mistake in selling tickets, they're rescindable with not a bit of penalty. What's the direct harm to me? The $k's of change fees I've spent, for starters. But the damage of slanted playing fields--fields slanted by billion dollar lobbyists--to the overall economic and legal systems is much greater.
Gosh!

As far as I know the DOT regulation under discussion is unique. Anywhere else in the world our tickets would most likely be dead. As we saw in Canada over the Rangoon mistake fares, the contract underlying air tickets is like any other: it can be rescinded in certain circumstances.

One of those circumstances is where the purchaser knowingly takes advantage of a fare he/she should have known to be a mistake. Only the US has specific legislation which might prevent this from happening.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Given the DOT regulation which clearly says mistake fares must be honored, I already was making solid plans on the basis of this. The rest of my family was adjusting obligations (my brother turned down a $1k contract based on these dates instead of the EI dates) and making plans. Like I say more clearly below, if the DOT doesn't like their existing rules, they need to modify them. But in the meantime, they must enforce them, because the existence of those rules magnifies the harm if they were to change their minds and not enforce the rules as written after all, because people who are aware of the rules and have seen the past pattern of enforcement then rely on these error fares and make firm plans on the basis of them, even when the airlines are ignorant of the rules.
The past pattern of enforcement also includes examples where the DOT did not force the airline to honor the tickets, correct? If so, it sounds like enforcement is not so clear, and you were relying on enforcement going your way -- a roll of the dice. I'll take you at your word that you made many plans *within the 8 hours* that these tickets were still in force, and from your posts in earlier threads, I can tell that you indeed knew of the DOT regulation before you booked the fare. But you should also have known that in those earlier threads, 399.88 did not always get enforced the way we expected or wanted. Therefore, why would you make subsidiary plans when the possibility existed that these tickets might not see the light of day? Didn't I read somewhere in this very thread that people should be careful about booking ancillary plans on these tickets?

Not being able to rely on advertised, purchased, and confirmed prices is abusive harm.
You're using "abuse" again, so you need to point to the actual harm or injury from this event.

If I make a bankrupting financial mistake, I lose my house; AIG makes a bankrupting financial mistake, they get an $85b bailout. I make a mistake in purchasing tickets, they're non-refundable; United makes a mistake in selling tickets, they're rescindable with not a bit of penalty. What's the direct harm to me? The $k's of change fees I've spent, for starters. But the damage of slanted playing fields--fields slanted by billion dollar lobbyists--to the overall economic and legal systems is much greater.
Geez. No offense, but these analogies to Zimbabwe and AIG and things that happened to you unrelated to this event are abusive to analogies.
I feel you on having had to pay change fees for when you made a mistake, but it's really not germane to your argument. United didn't wait to cancel your ticket; they voided them within 8 hours. If you had canceled your ticket within 8 hours, you wouldn't have paid a penalty either.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:59 pm

Given the DOT regulation which clearly says mistake fares must be honored, I already was making solid plans on the basis of this. The rest of my family was adjusting obligations (my brother turned down a $1k contract based on these dates instead of the EI dates) and making plans.
In the midst of a mistake fare, you made the cardinal error of making non cancelable plans (whether it be additional plans for travel or, in your case, for work) and that is the airline's fault? Deal alerts for ultra low fares are often followed with cautions, to the effect of, don't count your chickens before they are hatched. in this case, United snapped back very quickly that it was voiding those tickets, so anyone who made "solid plans" that are now bungled did so less than a day after the deal went live. Not only does that defy common sense but any claim of damage would be defeated by any attorney with a modicum of competence.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by dlandz
As a customer, I have only dealt with United. Whether they use a third-party for a small component of their booking process, or for their entire booking process has no bearing on the fact that my contract is solely with United. If the third-party they hired provides a bad service to them, that is a separate dispute between United and the third-party they hired for any or every part of their booking process.
When you look at anything in the financial industry, there are significant amounts of money spent on Due Diligence and verifying everything through independent audits. In these cases, any third-party usually bears no liability themselves, as the financial firm is solely responsible for the entire due diligence process.
Simply, whether there was a third-party or not, United has the exclusive responsibility in making sure that everything that goes into and out of their system is correct. They are fully liable for their own mistakes and those of the third-parties they hire. They can try to sue their third-party, but it is likely their contract removes any liability from the third-party. My ticketed contract with United + DOT regulations which supercede details in the contract would leave United as fully liable for any mistakes made
FWIW, I've generally been skeptical of the arguments of the passengers in this thread, but I think this post gets at exactly why the United third party argument is stupid.

All large corporations rely on third parties. To give a United related example, there were recently announcements of large cutbacks of airport staff in favor of outsourced counter agents at many non-hub UA airports. That means the person who checks you in at the airport and tags your bags and collects your bag fees may not technically be a UA employee. However, that makes no difference with respect to the company's responsibility for his or her actions. If, for instance, the agent charges you a bag fee you were not required to pay, you can seek a refund from United, and United is not permitted to say that it bears no responsibility for the acts of the agent who was acting on its behalf.

Whoever was doing the currency conversion, United is responsible for it.

Do you believe that common contract law takes precedence over the DOT regulations on air travel?
I see United's only out as challenging the authority of DOT to impose these regulations, and the result of that could create a huge mess for consumers
In a DOT proceeding, the regulations obviously take precedence. And in a civil suit against United, the plaintiff could cite them and argue that they supersede the common law rules.

The question is whether they apply to this circumstance. If they do, the DOT will so rule and United will be facing a big fine if they don't honor the tickets. If they don't, the ordinary rules of contract law (including mistake) will decide the case.

Last edited by dilanesp; Feb 18, 2015 at 4:08 pm
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Whoever was doing the currency conversion, United is responsible for it.
I agree with this. I just don't think that means that the only appropriate remedy is a windfall to the people that exploited it. The windfall grossly exceeds any harm.

Do you believe that common contract law takes precedence over the DOT regulations on air travel?
I see United's only out as challenging the authority of DOT to impose these regulations, and the result of that could create a huge mess for consumers
Chevron analysis!

Remember, 399.88 is not a statute. It is a regulation. If there is no enabling statute from Congress speaking directly on the topic, then DOT really is kind of allowed to interpret it the way it wants. (And as we know, the writing is indeed on the wall there.) If there is a congressional act, aggrieved would-be flyers should rely on that, not the regulation.

The DOT will read and interpret their regulations in conjunction with contract law. I don't think it is a matter that one will supercede the other.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by dml105
... If he was inside the 24 hour window, he could have canceled his ticket without penalty. Do you disagree? If so, it doesn't respond to my position at all.
False. Completely 100% false. UA and others allow 24 hours for cancellation or trips that originate in the U.S., because they are required to by law. None of these tickets originated in the U.S., and none of them offered any free cancellation. I booked one of these DKK tickets for the wrong date, cancelled within 15 minutes before it ticketed, and United sent me an email stating that I could use those funds for travel on United. No refund of any kind.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:16 pm

I think it is getting rather heated now. Why don't we all just wait for updates from Dot

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Lack
...I don't recall entering any deals with the mysterious 3rd party...
You don't think payment amounts pass through their internal systems before ticketing the reservation? I would be quite certain that they are not using a third party to ticket reservations.
...Whoever was doing the currency conversion, United is responsible for it.
I've got no skin in this game, but I have in previous mistake fares; so I understand the thought process and justification as the buyer.

While I understand the POV of those who got in on the deal, I am pointing out what is likely UA's POV and why they decided not to honor this, unlike the prior mistake fares which they have.

Regardless of whether UA's system would (should) have caught this or be responsible for it, the fact they can point the finger at a 3rd party makes it that much easier for them to decline honoring the fare. From UA's POV, the mistake was from the 3rd party and it makes it justifiable to not honor it; perhaps the response would be different if it was entirely an internal mistake like last time, which I would then feel they should own it.

In addition, I'd like to present this scenario for those who claim UA is entirely responsible:
Say an online ticketing agency is the one that committed the currency error and sent the ticket request to UA. UA's website does not reflect the same error price. But bookings via the OTA went through and is automatically ticketed. Should UA honor that OTA's bookings?

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Feb 18, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
False. Completely 100% false. UA and others allow 24 hours for cancellation or trips that originate in the U.S., because they are required to by law. None of these tickets originated in the U.S., and none of them offered any free cancellation. I booked one of these DKK tickets for the wrong date, cancelled within 15 minutes before it ticketed, and United sent me an email stating that I could use those funds for travel on United. No refund of any kind.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...romoCode=A5753

United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to your reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100% refund of the ticket price.

I was curious if you were correct, but I don't see any conditions specifying ex-US only....
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:17 pm

No one is arguing the fact that ITA showed this fare for many airlines and some other airlines even showed it on their websites. United was just the only airline negligent enough to allow it to be booked/ticketed. Right?

Based on the above it can't possibly be unreasonable for one to assume that this was a fare war by the major airlines to gain the business of Danes living in the UK and not a mistake fare. United just had more people show up to its party than it wanted and so threw a hissy fit.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Territoriality is not one of their stated exclusions. Did you book using Western Union?

http://www.united.com/WEB/EN-US/apps...romoCode=A5753
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I still don't see this as "abuse." No one who bought these tickets honestly thinks that the tickets are only worth $100. Otherwise, people wouldn't have jumped on buying them up like this.

Abuse is treating someone in a harmful, injurious way. How is it "abusing" the consumers to undo a clear mistake where everyone knew it was a mistake? How are we harmed or injured by not receiving a windfall?

Isn't that where the customer started though? I'm just having a very hard time seeing what the customers actually _lost_ here.
It's more an issue of reciprocity. If I make a mistake and need to change my ticket, it's going to cost me anywhere between $150 and 200. And if I need to change my ticket at the last minute, it might cost me $200 plus $3000 or whatever is the cost of a full-fare walkup ticket. When I make a mistake worth thousands of dollars, UA has zero problems collecting it from me. Now they make a thousand-dollar mistake but say I am not entitled to benefit?

Take for example, this comment from the Economist article linked to earlier:
I have been one of UA's best customers, with almost 3 million miles flown. I was booked business class on a trans-Pacific UA flight that was delayed by seven hours, so I requested another flight. UA said the only flight available only had economy class seats, but the economy class seat would cost me US$7000. I said that, if they did that to me, I would never fly UA again. The woman said she would check with her supervisor, then came back and said, because of the inconvenience, they would refund half the cost of my business class flight. So I accepted. After I arrived, I discovered they had charged my credit card the $7000 without a refund. They said their employee wasn't authorized to make the offer I had accepted. After weeks of pressure, they made a small refund but not the one they promised. My lawyer said I could easily win a case against UA, but the time required would make it a Pyrrhic victory. So I have been enjoying my flights on Cathay Pacific; so have the many people I ticket for conferences. UA seems to think that it comes out ahead when they screw their customers. Well, they're going to have to screw hundreds of other customers to make up the revenue they lose from me and my company. Doubtless they will make the effort.
Seriously? UA has a flight delayed 7 hours, then has the nerve to charge someone $7k to switch to a last-minute economy fare on a flight running on time. This $7000 is completely separate and on-top of whatever figure the customer paid for the business class fare that will not get him to his destination on time. This is SOP for UA, the customer has little or no recourse.

So, no, I have absolutely no sympathy with the viewpoint that when a $7000 error goes in the customer's favor, UA is suddenly entitled to call 'mistake'. Especially when there is a clear regulation that UA is well aware of that says they can't.

You don't see a dealer accidentally giving you a Rolls Royce when you paid for a Yugo as a windfall? You're getting something worth quite literally 100 times what you paid for it.
Is it OK if UA ends up giving someone a Yugo for a Rolls Royce price? Like above, it is pretty easy to get a TPAC economy flight for $350 each way, but UA had no compunction charging the customer $7000 and then refusing to refund the BMW they had already sold to the customer, probably at a price of ~$3000 in the first place.

I just don't see why it should work one way but not the other. That seems abusive to me.

Last edited by janetdoe; Feb 18, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:36 pm

From a legal perspective, that UA should honor the tickets of anyone who can show that they had a reason to pay in DKK unrelated to trying to capitalize on the mistake, who had a legitimate Denmark billing address, and who otherwise meets the DOT requirements (e.g., the 24 hour stopover / to and from the US), and that the DOT will fine UA for each such passenger who comes forward whose ticket is not honored by UA. However, travelers who had no reason for seeking to pay in DKK other than to capitalize on the mistake, or who indicated a Denmark billing address when they did not have one, are outside the scope of the protections of the DOT rule.

From a business perspective, if UA isn't going to honor the fares, it should at least make a gesture such as a big fat travel voucher to everyone who got their ticket voided. That would acknowledge that some people did make plans based on the availability of the mistake fare and got thrown into limbo by this, and that UA is indeed responsible for what happened. (Indeed, I really think UA has been stupid not to do this already.)
Again more nonsensical rhetoric. UA should honor anyone who had reason to pay in DKK? Dilan please. Use your USC expertise and say something that makes sense once in a while. I travel frequently all over the world and have paid for services and products in EUR, GBP, JPY, AUD etc. etc. If I'm on summer holiday the UK and buy a ticket on united.com and it prices out in GBP and I purchase that ticket, does United then have any recourse to cancel that ticket for whatever reason? The plain and simple answer is - it doesn't matter where or in what currency you buy a good or service. That has no bearing on this whatsoever ever. If you think it does, I'd really like to be enlightened.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:37 pm

UA. I know you're monitoring this thread.

You're gambling a rather expensive game.

You know, you could still win it? Just call the DoT, and make an acceptable offer, like what was said in #4373?

The big majority would be happy about such an outcome, praise you as fair losers.. and WIN big time with advertisement (even though the win would have been bigger some days ago..)

But of course, you could always go all in.. risk to lose very BIG time, still make everyone unhappy on your behaviour, make you the laughstock of the whole industry (which I and almost everyone here hope you become for your behaviour) and have you pay BIG time..

Oh well, I just hope you make the right decision.. it might be soon too late, and too little...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by HateUA
No one is arguing the fact that ITA showed this fare for many airlines and some other airlines even showed it on their websites. United was just the only airline negligent enough to allow it to be booked/ticketed. Right?
Believed to be correct. If it did work on another airline's website I doubt that people would be coming forward to admit it since they would probably prefer to fly under the radar.

I wonder if this is because United was trying to make some extra money off of dynamic currency conversion. While the exchange rates are not as unfavourable as those typically offered with DCC there must be some reason that UA decided to offer the ability to choose the billing currency unlike other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.