Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi
I was in a similar situation at SIN once.

First thing to notice is that you'd have around 3.5 hrs of truly free time, 4 hr max.
Second, HKG-SIN is not such a long flight, you really should not be tired enough to need a hotel.
So....The entire SIN airport is like a lounge, and I would be tempted to spend most of the time just loitering around.
If the need be, go take a break/shower in some lounge.
However, speaking for myself at lest, I can't imagine checking into a hotel for 3.5 hours.

How long are you in Tokyo? Would you be passing by Asakusa temple by any chance? (I need to get a very small trinket from there, if somebody is going there anyway.)

Good luck.
My origin/destination is Newark so HK and NRT are just layovers. HK-SIN not too long but would have just come from EWR
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by anandrag
My origin/destination is Newark so HK and NRT are just layovers. HK-SIN not too long but would have just come from EWR
I understand. A shower would be good. If you do decide to nap, set multiple alarms and also request the lounge agent to wake you up.

It would not be an overkill to have a paper sitting next to you saying "Please wake me up at 05:00 hr (5:00 AM)" or similar. Make the sign with a good marker pen before leaving home instead of hoping to find supplies at the airport.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
There are, in fact, 2 A* lounges airside in T3:
- KrisFlyer - open 24/7;
- SATS - open at 3 am.
SATS is much nicer, so go to KrisFlyer to have a nap, then switch to SATS for a better breakfast!
I would not worry about having that shower in SIN. Have it in NRT. ANA lounges have very nice showers with heated toilet seats
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
- KrisFlyer - open 24/7;
- SATS - open at 3 am.
SATS is much nicer, so go to KrisFlyer to have a nap, then switch to SATS for a better breakfast!
I would not worry about having that shower in SIN. Have it in NRT. ANA lounges have very nice showers with heated toilet seats
I do like ANA showers. Used them 3 months ago or so
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aktchi
It would not be an overkill to have a paper sitting next to you saying "Please wake me up at 05:00 hr (5:00 AM)" or similar. Make the sign with a good marker pen before leaving home instead of hoping to find supplies at the airport.
Lol. Good idea
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: united mileage plus
You won't really have enough time to make the transit hotel worth doing. If you don't already have your boarding pass you can probably pick it up while you are transiting through the security at HKG (there's a desk nearby). If you got the upgrade you can go to the fancier SQ lounge (it's very nice). If not, you can go to the KrisFlyer but it's usually dead at that time and they may be vacuuming. You might just want to stretch your legs walking around a little bit or surfing the net on the many public computers and then go to the SATS lounge. It has showers, massage chairs, actually not bad food and will make boarding announcements. You will need to leave a good amount of time for going from the lounge to the gate (last week it was B9 which is a brisk 15 minute walk from the lounge). They might want to do a little extra security questioning at the gate since you were airside and didn't have it at SIN's check-in. The problem with taking a nap is waking back up. Happy flying.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fdflys
You won't really have enough time to make the transit hotel worth doing. If you don't already have your boarding pass you can probably pick it up while you are transiting through the security at HKG (there's a desk nearby). If you got the upgrade you can go to the fancier SQ lounge (it's very nice). If not, you can go to the KrisFlyer but it's usually dead at that time and they may be vacuuming. You might just want to stretch your legs walking around a little bit or surfing the net on the many public computers and then go to the SATS lounge. It has showers, massage chairs, actually not bad food and will make boarding announcements. You will need to leave a good amount of time for going from the lounge to the gate (last week it was B9 which is a brisk 15 minute walk from the lounge). They might want to do a little extra security questioning at the gate since you were airside and didn't have it at SIN's check-in. The problem with taking a nap is waking back up. Happy flying.
Thanks!

Understand that there are a few lounges in T3 that I can access with my Lounge Club membership: Ambassador Transit Lounge, SATS lounge, The Haven by JetQuay.

Is SATS the best one? They all seem to have showers but all claim 3 hour max stay. Not sure how/whether they enforce that esp in middle of the night
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
SATS

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
- KrisFlyer - open 24/7;
- SATS - open at 3 am.
Hello, is the SATS Lounge available to *A Gold members who are traveling in economy, or only for Biz/F passengers?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
A lot of answers can also be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-please.html

From personal experience, the Transit Hotel is nice but you won't get your money's worth during a 4-5 hour turnaround. You can buy just a shower at the Transit Lounge (next door to the hotel entrance) for $16 SGD.

All airline lounges in SIN are for departure only - it doesn't matter what class you were in for your arrival. You'll need a hard copy printed BP for your same-day departure flight to gain access. Print your BP out before you land (in HKG or NRT) and you won't have to stop at the transit desk. (transit desk also opens at 3am so if you don't have your onward BP already then you're out of luck getting into any of the lounges before then).

The SQ Kris Flyer Gold lounge is the only *G lounge that is open 24 hours. Food is good but limited and there are spots where you can nap but it is small and there are no showers.

The SQ Silver Kris lounge is only for *G on Biz/First class. There are showers and the food is better.

The SATS lounge (next door to the SQ entrance) is for *G members in any class but it only opens at 3am. The food is decent and there are massage chairs in the back.

There are lots of things to occupy your time in SIN. It's a huge airport and everything is connected airside. Unless you really need a 2-3 hour nap in an actual bed with no sound/light, then skip the Transit Hotel.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The Haven is a new arrivals lounge landslide as you exit customs/immigration at T3...walk to the very end of the atrium hall. It's a PP lounge and quite nice with large, airy showers. UA check-in opens at 3a if you don't get all your boarding passes at check-in before you start your run. Otherwise you must wait until either the transit desk opens, or UA's landslide check-in. I arrived off the HKG flight and used The Haven for about an hour, then went up to check-in. You'll receive a pass for the SATS lounge (which has showers), but can also use the SQ STARGold lounge (no showers) airside without one. I believe the SilverKris lounge is only accessible if you are flying in business or first on UA, so STARGold status may not get you in.

Note that if you're on the ORD-HKG-SIN or SIN-HKG-ORD flights and only get one boarding pass for both segments, you will need to have your BP stamped when you get off the plane at HKG before going through security. If you've two boarding passes you're okay without the stamp. (This will generally only occur on the inbound since SIN agents always give out a boarding pass for each segment.)

I prefer the SATS over the STARGold lounge, but SilverKris is best if you can get in. The T3 Transit hotel is also an option if you don't sleep well in E+ and want a couple of hours. Note there is a 6-hour minimum in terms of payment.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I finally got around to booking a MR to SIN - but with a 48 hour stay. EWR-ORD-NRT-SIN 2/12 then SIN-HKG-EWR 2/16. I don't think I can sit 21+ hours each way without stopping in Y/E+ seating, even with a few hours napping at a transit hotel. So I booked a room at the Conrad next to the Flyer and also booked some excursions through Viator.

Now I am just hoping that I don't get weathered in a few days...

-- Additional info

I just got back from SIN. I checked in for my flight around 4am for a 5:45am flight at Terminal 3. Very empty terminal, absolutely no lines at UA or at immigration. There were quite a number of people sleeping on the chairs and on the floors. The terminal seems to be a huge lengthwise building - like 2 miles in length, you could probably do a 5k run there.

To get to SATS or KrisGold lounges, after immigration turn left and go up the first escalator on the right. There are signs so you can't miss it. From immigration go to the right for UA transfer desk. Basically if you walk the entire length of the terminal, you are bound to find what you are looking for (lounges, transit hotel, restaurants).

If you want to take a nap without using the hotel, I would recommend the area near the lounges, which is up the escalator as I mentioned. Go up the escalator and immediate go to the right, there is a large open space where you can lay down next to the wall. The bathrooms are close by as a bonus.

I only had a few minutes so I went to SATS to grab a bite to eat. They had lentil curry, some mashed potato thing, samosa, turkey bacon, dim sum, and 2 or so other selections. I wasn't too impressed with the food quite frankly.

Last edited by miasmal; Feb 16, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: LH&BA
I have a question regarding Aerotel Transit Hotel.

Will arrive June 03 from HKG and want to pass immigration and visit the city. My next flight is 06:45 on June 04.

Can I access the hotel only once I have passed immigration again or is there a landside entry?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tkwetina
I have a question regarding Aerotel Transit Hotel.

Will arrive June 03 from HKG and want to pass immigration and visit the city. My next flight is 06:45 on June 04.

Can I access the hotel only once I have passed immigration again or is there a landside entry?

The Aerotel Transit Hotel is in terminal 1. Terminals 2 & 3 have Ambassador Transit Hotels. (They used to all be Ambassadors. Sounds like Aerotel recently bought and remodelled the one in terminal 1).

All of these are only accessible airside past immigration. There are no landside entries as far as I know.

The only hotel on the airport property that is accessible landside is the Crown Plaza. There are other off-site hotels nearby (Changi Village) that have shuttle buses but the airport is a fair bit away from the city center itself.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anandrag
The transit lounge looks good but is close to $100 and I would realistically have max of 4 hours there so not much time to sleep and expensive to pay that just for a shower.
There may be some good answers on the Singapore thread. I'd pay anything for solid sleep if I was on a MR turn like that - but that is just me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...otel-room.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.