Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold

Doing a MR in 2 weeks that has me landing at SIN at 145 am from HKG and then leave for NRT at 7 am.

Wondering whether should go hang out at a lounge or go to transit hotel.
If lounge, which one is the best? I'm UA 1k so *A Gold, am in Business Class from HK but on standby for upgrade to SIN and have PP.
Assume SQ lounges the best but not sure whether can access the one with shower when coming in business but not necessarily leaving in business.
Not sure whether PP lounge has shower.

The transit lounge looks good but is close to $100 and I would realistically have max of 4 hours there so not much time to sleep and expensive to pay that just for a shower.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Hello hello. Go for the transit hotel--I think it is part of the experience at SIN. Last time I landed at 1230am and left at 530-6ish. Once at SIN I headed to my room, dropped my bags, and went out for a walk throughout the terminals, to explore and food. 2 hours later I returned to eat and a glorious bath, which prepared me for the return flights. The block of 5-6hrs. at the transit hotel cost roughly $60; food $5-7. Amazing time. Added bonus: the calf/foot massage machines.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:08 pm

If you have *A Gold you can access the SQ business lounge/*A gold lounge even if not flying in business. Not sure if there is a shower there though.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2141 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I'm doing a similar run, with only 4 hours. Can I stay airside?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2141 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I'm doing a similar run, with only 4 hours. Can I stay airside?
Yes you can stay airside at SIN.
You should be able to get your BP for your return flights from the Airside transit desks at SIN.
Enjoy walking around SIN airport and the food court food is fab!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
The SQ business lounge has plenty of space to sleep and the last time I was there I saw many people doing it. Plenty of corners with sofas etc.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by drewp123
The SQ business lounge has plenty of space to sleep and the last time I was there I saw many people doing it. Plenty of corners with sofas etc.
Showers there?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by anandrag
Showers there?
Yes!

http://www.loungebuddy.com/singapore...ltimate-guide/
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Seems that business class lounge has showers but Gold lounge doesn't. Do I have access to biz lounge if fly in on Biz but may be flying out in coach?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Next to SQ lounge, there is a *A gold lounge called "SATS Premier Lounges", which admits UA flyers after 3:00 am. It has showers and message chairs, as well as nice foods. If you do not have lounge access privilege, behind the right-hand-side of this lounge there is a nice sleeping floor. I saw many people sleeping there. Good luck.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Next to SQ lounge, there is a *A gold lounge called "SATS Premier Lounges", which admits UA flyers after 3:00 am. It has showers and message chairs, as well as nice foods. If you do not have lounge access privilege, behind the right-hand-side of this lounge there is a nice sleeping floor. I saw many people sleeping there. Good luck.
The SATS lounge is listed in the UA Club list under "Other Partner lounges. According to it, you can have one guest as Gold. I have been hearing that you need to get a pass from the transfer desk, which is not open in the middle of the night. Does anyone know if you can get in with your boarding pass and UA*G card?

Also, I notice that there's a second one at T1, which is open 24hrs. Has anyone tried getting in there? If you need a pass, the extended hours don't help.

Sorry, I can't speak from experience, since I got ticketed to SIN but failed to get there. Twice.

One thing I can report is that it is possible to get your onward boarding passes. In Nov 2014, I had booked HNL-SIN/SIN-IAD, which routed as HNL-NRT-SIN-HKG-ORD-IAD, and I was able to get all 5 boarding passes at check-in.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wh6cto
The SATS lounge is listed in the UA Club list under "Other Partner lounges. According to it, you can have one guest as Gold. I have been hearing that you need to get a pass from the transfer desk, which is not open in the middle of the night. Does anyone know if you can get in with your boarding pass and UA*G card?

Also, I notice that there's a second one at T1, which is open 24hrs. Has anyone tried getting in there? If you need a pass, the extended hours don't help.

Sorry, I can't speak from experience, since I got ticketed to SIN but failed to get there. Twice.

One thing I can report is that it is possible to get your onward boarding passes. In Nov 2014, I had booked HNL-SIN/SIN-IAD, which routed as HNL-NRT-SIN-HKG-ORD-IAD, and I was able to get all 5 boarding passes at check-in.
Yes, you can get in with your boarding pass. I was just there last week and used only my boarding pass to get in. It's a reasonable lounge for a couple of hours. The showers are very small and you need to get a towel from the front desk. Food is OK. Plenty of chairs to lounge around in. It was busy overnight last week. Lots of people hanging out in there waiting for the early morning flights.

If you have PP there is also the DNata lounge, just a short walk to the right. It also has showers and small food section. You could hop between the SATS Lounge, the Singapore Lounge and the DNata lounge !!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by anandrag
Doing a MR in 2 weeks that has me landing at SIN at 145 am from HKG and then leave for NRT at 7 am.

Wondering whether should go hang out at a lounge or go to transit hotel.
If lounge, which one is the best? I'm UA 1k so *A Gold, am in Business Class from HK but on standby for upgrade to SIN and have PP.
Assume SQ lounges the best but not sure whether can access the one with shower when coming in business but not necessarily leaving in business.
Not sure whether PP lounge has shower.

The transit lounge looks good but is close to $100 and I would realistically have max of 4 hours there so not much time to sleep and expensive to pay that just for a shower.

Thoughts?
For that short of a layover, I would not spend the $ for the transit hotel. I just read a review and it looks pretty basic. Plus, there are enough lounges to hop around to, you can get food and showers, and the airport itself is nice to walk around in. go check out the Butterfly garden. It's pretty cool.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brituchenite
Yes, you can get in with your boarding pass. I was just there last week and used only my boarding pass to get in. It's a reasonable lounge for a couple of hours. The showers are very small and you need to get a towel from the front desk. Food is OK. Plenty of chairs to lounge around in. It was busy overnight last week. Lots of people hanging out in there waiting for the early morning flights.

If you have PP there is also the DNata lounge, just a short walk to the right. It also has showers and small food section. You could hop between the SATS Lounge, the Singapore Lounge and the DNata lounge !!
Great! Have PP so guess plenty of options
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I was in a similar situation at SIN once.

First thing to notice is that you'd have around 3.5 hrs of truly free time, 4 hr max.
Second, HKG-SIN is not such a long flight, you really should not be tired enough to need a hotel.
So....The entire SIN airport is like a lounge, and I would be tempted to spend most of the time just loitering around.
If the need be, go take a break/shower in some lounge.
However, speaking for myself at lest, I can't imagine checking into a hotel for 3.5 hours.

How long are you in Tokyo? Would you be passing by Asakusa temple by any chance? (I need to get a very small trinket from there, if somebody is going there anyway.)

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.