Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by mileageking
Even with return new fare base, still can't see it with OTAs
It's on ITA. Move along.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Due to carrier restrictions you cannot connect in Asia now so no backtracking. You have to take UL or BA to LHR or the ME carriers to their hubs and connect onward.
read the rules properly, talks about HKG.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Unfortunately, even though you can use HKG, it's not really useful from a cost standpoint. The routings I've looked at are almost double the other, lower cost routings I've found...

Eric
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:59 pm

It also talks about Mexico and booking with LX ticket stock. If you want to route through HKG you will bump the I fare up to a D fare. The most important part
3 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
1 PERMITTED IN AREA 3 IN EACH DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED IN AREA 2 IN EACH DIRECTION.
CX connects in BKK on the way to HKG.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:16 pm

It also talks about Mexico and booking with LX ticket stock. If you want to route through HKG you will bump the I fare up to a D fare. The most important part

CX connects in BKK on the way to HKG.
Good point. Sending you a PM.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
I have long wanted to visit Sri Lanka and was so excited when the civil war that predates the birth of many flyertalk members was settled. I had great hopes that the country would capitalize on the opportunity to join the mainstream international community that embraces human rights and a free press. I really love travel deals and vacation very opportunistically due to cost concerns but couldn't convince myself into this one due to the government's post-war malfeasance and lack of regard for human rights and journalist freedom. I love to travel and would really like to see everywhere at least once but hesitate to give funds, though mine are quite meager relative to most all who fly paid premium cabins, to a repressive regime. I will wait. While prices may be much higher in the future, it will be a better deal in many non-monetary ways to visit Sri Lanka once the country acknowledges its human rights abuses and has a free press.

http://www.hrw.org/asia/sri-lanka

I post selectively on flyertalk, and this is probably only the first or second time I've done so knowing I'll garner much ire. It disappoints me to rarely see posts on this site that reference moral issues in conjunction with cheap prices. Maybe I am just a weirdo.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
They loaded a new I fare and A fare. All is not lost yet.

Now close this thread and never speak of it again.

EDIT: The major difference is you cannot get the half roundtrip price on a oneway. The oneway fares are much more expensive. I was pricing one out last night and it worked.
These round trip fares with the favorable routing of the past went up by almost 60%
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
That explains it. I use this route from time to time. My regular travel agent has been trying to book and ticket my next trip for well over a week, now. He says that he can book it with no problem, but every time he tries to ticket, the computer changes the fare category to the higher priced routing.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: VA Gold
Devastated at this news. I was going to run around in F as a graduation gift to myself some time in the near future. Had the routing and flight numbers all set for at least 6 months now but not the funds.

I guess it was not meant to be.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
This is upsetting. I agree with previous poster - excessive publicity did no good to this fare. I mean, how could it not die when every week someone brought this fare up in the good deals tread - over and over !

The new fare looks quite useless to me. It's at least +1k OW with significantly reduced routing possibilities. And I can't get any decent price or routing as RT at all.

I would appreciate if someone who managed to get a decent routing and price, OW or RT, on the new fare is kind enough to PM an example to me.

Let's not discuss it in too many details publically, just in case it still can offer decent value.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
This is upsetting. I agree with previous poster - excessive publicity did no good to this fare. I mean, how could it not die when every week someone brought this fare up in the good deals tread - over and over !

The new fare looks quite useless to me. It's at least +1k OW with significantly reduced routing possibilities. And I can't get any decent price or routing as RT at all.

I would appreciate if someone who managed to get a decent routing and price, OW or RT, on the new fare is kind enough to PM an example to me.

Let's not discuss it in too many details publically, just in case it still can offer decent value.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante.
The most HILARIOUS part of this is that the same bloggers who post screen-shots and literal step-by-step instructions on how to book the fare are on here acting surprised and disappointed. You know who you are, and we all told you the fare would go away, if not by publicity directly than by publicity leading to over-use and manipulation. ^ Great work!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by DLATL777
The most HILARIOUS part of this is that the same bloggers who post screen-shots and literal step-by-step instructions on how to book the fare are on here acting surprised and disappointed. You know who you are, and we all told you the fare would go away, if not by publicity directly than by publicity leading to over-use and manipulation. ^ Great work!
Like who? Name some names. Show the blogs. I found the fare years go on my own and managed to price out some crazy routings through trial and error. I managed to fly it once in F but was planning another roundtrip for next year to qualify for AA. MH had opened up some nice possibilities.

There is still value in the fare, you just have to be more creative and temper your expectations.

All good things come to an end. This one will be put next to all the other exCMB fares that have gone away.

Last edited by skunker; Jul 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Like who? Name some names. Show the blogs.
While I fully and completely understand both sides of the debate it's one best continued in the External Miles and Points Resources forum which was created for exactly these types of blog discussions.

Thank you,

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:41 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I'm game to book at r/t. I can't decipher the rules for the return. I put in some routes transpac and transatl and the price jumps by 4X or so. Any clues?

The only way back I can see goes through the gulf.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jul 12, 2013 at 5:54 am
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I'm game to book at r/t. I can't decipher the rules for the return. I put in some routes transpac and transatl and the price jumps by 4X or so. Any clues?

The only way back I can see goes through the gulf.
You have to cross the Atlantic, on an AA flight number, both ways.
Hope that helps.

Eric

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.