Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
+1

...though I don't know how much time/effort I want to spend fighting with the airlines during my last year of high school. If they cancel me I might just try to finagle a couple of e-certs or something...
Wait until you get older, have a miserable job, and are itching for a battle. Then you'll be with us 1% fighting this.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Temedar
Next jumbo fare will bring a lot of new business to our TAs

PM sent
Good point. Can you suggest a good online TA in Russia who also has English on his webpages?

Will have to remember this.

Thanks.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Wait until you get older, have a miserable job, and are itching for a battle. Then you'll be with us 1% fighting this.
For me, it just depends what mood I'm in on the day.

On a good day, a nicely worded, personalised apology would probably be enough; if it was sincere.
Catch me on a bad day, and I'll tell them to FO. Even if they're offering a sack full of miles.
Catch me on a very bad day and they'd be told to insert their miles, one by one, into their darkest cavity. Preferably using a particularly prickly pineapple.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by tangoll
Good point. Can you suggest a good online TA in Russia who also has English on his webpages?
Personally I try to use XP/Orbitz as long as the fare is available there. That's not very patriotic, but I just place more trust in the bigger guys.
That said, I'll PM some addresses to you
Old May 4, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
For me, it just depends what mood I'm in on the day.

On a good day, a nicely worded, personalised apology would probably be enough; if it was sincere.
Catch me on a bad day, and I'll tell them to FO. Even if they're offering a sack full of miles.
Catch me on a very bad day and they'd be told to insert their miles, one by one, into their darkest cavity. Preferably using a particularly prickly pineapple.
Thank you, I needed a good laugh today!
Old May 4, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Uhm, just wanted to remind certain users who say that we are not protected by the new DOT rules, since this is a "mistake" fare, that the subject has been covered in the document, and guess what they are pretty clear about this type of situation...

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/EAP...-2012final.pdf

Does the prohibition on post-purchase price increases in section 399.88(a) apply in the situation
where a carrier mistakenly offers an airfare due to a computer problem or human error and a
consumer purchases the ticket at that fare before the carrier is able to fix the mistake?
Section 399.88(a) states that it is an unfair and deceptive practice for any seller of scheduled air
transportation within, to, or from the United States, or of a tour or tour component that includes scheduled air
transportation within, to, or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation to a
consumer after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of a
government-imposed tax or fee and only if the passenger is advised of a possible increase before purchasing
a ticket. A purchase occurs when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer. Therefore, if
a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or
the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the
seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the
fare is a “mistake.”

A contract of carriage provision that reserves the right to cancel such ticketed purchases or reserves the right
to raise the fare cannot legalize the practice described above. The Enforcement Office would consider any
contract of carriage provision that attempts to relieve a carrier of the prohibition against post-purchase price
increase to be an unfair and deceptive practice in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712
Old May 4, 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Uhm, just wanted to remind certain users who say that we are not protected by the new DOT rules, since this is a "mistake" fare, that the subject has been covered in the document, and guess what they are pretty clear about this type of situation...

Does this also apply to itins outside the US, or foreign carriers?
Old May 4, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Does this also apply to itins outside the US, or foreign carriers?
If the ticket touches US soil, as in final destination, or connecting flight, I believe it applies.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist

No question that the DOT rule changes the landscape on fare mistakes. The DOT seems to be saying that when it comes to a screw-up, the airlines are in the best position to keep them from happening (as between the carriers and the consumers/FTers/experts), so the airlines should be the ones responsible when it happens.

Of course, there are going to be people who watch for mistakes and take advantage of them...but the DOT is saying that's the cost of doing business.

One problem is that the ENFORCEMENT mechanism doesn't seem to really benefit the consumer much. The US Code provision cited in the FAQ, 49 USC § 41712, says, among other things:

"If the Secretary, after notice and an opportunity for a hearing, finds that an air carrier, foreign air carrier, or ticket agent is engaged in an unfair or deceptive practice or unfair method of competition, the Secretary shall order the air carrier, foreign air carrier, or ticket agent to stop the practice or method." (Emphasis mine.)

Sounds like my Mommy telling me to keep my hands out of the cookie jar.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:54 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond

Upstream in this thread someone posted a copy of a (translated) note from KE to their travel agent that claimed their internal price for the affected itinerary was $12,000 but the IATA currency issue caused it to be priced at a fraction of that price. Based on the reality of this very unique situation I believe it will be KE's stance with the DOT that this was not an error fare. Rather, it was a technical error with the IATA system that caused the fares to be priced wrong. Had these been ACTUAL error fares filed by KE it would be much harder for them to avoid the DOT ruling. At any rate, I've filed my DOT complaint and will wait to see what their response will be.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
LOL! It's definitely because of us!
Yeah, not likely. October is the start of high season. Surely PG had long planned to add service to keep up with the already-increasing demand.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:59 am

KE is full of themselves. When the deal was getting killed, and $200 C fare rgn- nan was still selling it had KE in it ( although with a bit of effort you could route without them), at the same time they were already canceling other tickets as reported here. Just inexcusable.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

OK - I'll bite -- has anyone been asked to pay more or have their tickets cancelled? Seems like people are just having their tickets cancelled - not sure this is the same circumstance covered by the DOT regs. Obviously could still be covered by other remedies - breach of contract, etc.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:09 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bulldog83
OK - I'll bite -- has anyone been asked to pay more or have their tickets cancelled? Seems like people are just having their tickets cancelled - not sure this is the same circumstance covered by the DOT regs. Obviously could still be covered by other remedies - breach of contract, etc.
One person reported they were told by KE (after their TA refused to cancel the ticket) that they could either cancel the ticket for a full refund OR pay the fare difference at check-in in RGN. So in effect, yes, but I still think KE will try to say this was not a mistake fare. It was a technical glitch allowing the tickets to be sold for less than face value.

Last edited by dll; May 4, 2012 at 9:16 am
Old May 4, 2012, 9:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dll
Upstream in this thread someone posted a copy of a (translated) note from KE to their travel agent that claimed their internal price for the affected itinerary was $12,000 but the IATA currency issue caused it to be priced at a fraction of that price. Based on the reality of this very unique situation I believe it will be KE's stance with the DOT that this was not an error fare. Rather, it was a technical error with the IATA system that caused the fares to be priced wrong. Had these been ACTUAL error fares filed by KE it would be much harder for them to avoid the DOT ruling. At any rate, I've filed my DOT complaint and will wait to see what their response will be.
I hear what you're saying but I disagree.

A mistake will always have a reason behind in. In this case, assuming the fares are mistake fares, the reason appears to be the result of a currency conversion. In other cases, it might be the result of an employee with Parkinson's Disease who accidentally hits the wrong key. Or a computer glitch that causes 9s to be 0s. Or a disgruntled employee who decides to stick it up their airline/agent.

They'll always be a reason but the DOT regulation appears to be quite explicit: you make a mistake, you pay the price - literally.

I would also argue that the DOT regulation allows airlines/agents the opportunity to avoid mistakes. That is, the airline/agent is only held liable when they take your money. If they have systems or processes in place to prevent or at least detect mistakes, then they're fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.