Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
So because I left my door unlocked it was alright for everyone to come in and steal my belongings? Great logic.
Faulty analogy. More like - if a store in Detroit offers iPads at half price, is it alright for half of Windsor to flock across the border to buy them? Actually, yes, it is.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:35 pm

Yes, someone at Expedia.ca screwed up in several ways, made a lot of Americans happy and just as many Canadians royally pissed off.
Get real.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
many people have lives on the weekend (the 20th and 21st were the days of the promo) other than scooping up deals on FT.
Still stomping on sour grapes I see.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
So because I left my door unlocked it was alright for everyone to come in and steal my belongings? Great logic. Most of the damage was done even before the promo actually started (on the 19th), and many people have lives on the weekend (the 20th and 21st were the days of the promo) other than scooping up deals on FT. Yes, someone at Expedia.ca screwed up in several ways, made a lot of Americans happy and just as many Canadians royally pissed off.
Hi Shareholder,
If I might ask, how is your situation any changed now that the promo is over? There's still inventory remaining, and before you and your friends book it, other people (non-flyertalkers, with no promotion) are still booking seats, depriving you of yet more inventory? It's kind of like you're asking everyone - flyertalker and not - to stop booking their trips until you've booked yours for real cheap so that theirs are more expensive.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
Other than bring in new customers (I've never used or had planned on using Expedia before, was quite painless ^), how could they possibly make money out of this?
Originally Posted by phranticaw
^ I think it is fair to say they are not making money. You don't have to go to business school to know that it's hard to make money on $5 packages.

But... it all depends on how they are funding the $300 coupon. No way to know the internal sources behind that...
I'm fairly sure that xp.ca isn't funding all of this themselves. It is pretty common for city tourism bureaus to pay some amount for promotions. Consider how a typical traveler would use this deal - they'd book one package for a pair of flights and a room. They'd be happy to save $300. Does Expedia really plan to take a $300 hit for every package it sells, given their slim margin? Probably not. Probably Vegas is funding some or all of the refund. Or they've committed a certain amount of extra advertising to Expedia for running the promotion. And why? Because now this couple is going to Vegas and is going to pour additional tourism dollars into the city on meals and shows and gambling and cabs. Maybe Vegas paid $300 to make $1000 off this couple.

Where things went wrong was when people started using the deal in unexpected ways. Expedia.ca expected that smaller population of Canadians would use this deal (who else uses a .ca site, right?). They didn't figure that others would glom on. And they certainly didn't figure how savvy folks would game the system by buying multiple packages, at least one per traveler, if not extras with throwaway portions. Suddenly Vegas paid $1500 on this couple to make $1000 on them. Now it was a bad bet for Vegas.

I'm not saying the agreement was necessarily that Vegas pays for $300 of every $300 refund. But I'm betting they do have some money invested in the promotion.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:41 pm

I booked 2 packages...dumping the hotel on the first one and dumping the flight on the second
I doubt you would care, but I hope it at least occurred to you that there are real world people who *want* to take that flight or stay at that hotel and are willing to pay actual money for it.

Also, take a guess -- what do you think happens to the airfare and hotel room costs for other travelers as the cheap ones are booked out?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
many people have lives on the weekend (the 20th and 21st were the days of the promo) other than scooping up deals on FT.
If we're such losers than why are we all going to Vegas?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Faulty analogy. More like - if a store in Detroit offers iPads at half price, is it alright for half of Windsor to flock across the border to buy them? Actually, yes, it is.
+1. This IS a better analogy. Win some, lose some, move on.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Spoken like a true imperialist! Survival of the fittest. It's alright for us to break the rules, but the rest of you had better live by them!
I'm appalled at all these comments by someone so established at FT. Nothing, I REPEAT NOTHING, was stolen...there was no fraud, no theft, no rule breaking. There was simply an oversight (some would argue many) made by Expedia.ca in the rules and restrictions of the promotion which we were able to exploit to get some amazing deals. For the last time, EXPEDIA.CA REPS CONFIRMED THAT THIS WASN'T FOR CANADIANS ONLY so get over it, you missed out, life moves on, another promo will eventually pop up...one which you will probably react to in a bit more of a timely manner.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ccqueenanne
Suddenly Vegas paid $1500 on this couple to make $1000 on them. Now it was a bad bet for Vegas.
We should feel bad that VEGAS had the odds turn against them?

I get your point... but I'd re-direct your statement to somewhere like NYC. And, FWIW, the Cancun trips were prohibitively expensive, even with the voucher!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I doubt you would care, but I hope it at least occurred to you that there are real world people who *want* to take that flight or stay at that hotel and are willing to pay actual money for it.
If the inventory is still there, they still can... just without a voucher.

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Also, take a guess -- what do you think happens to the airfare and hotel room costs for other travelers as the cheap ones are booked out?
They pay what us business travelers are used to paying, rather than the business-travel subsidized deep-discount rate?

Last edited by mreed911; Nov 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm Reason: missing quote bracket
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by jschoi
If we're such losers than why are we all going to Vegas?
+1!

See you there!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by jbart74
+1!

See you there!
A chance to play a little poker before Christmas.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sinoed09
If you want to blame anyone you should point your finger at Expedia for their colossal oversight.
This is true... in the sense that if someone dropped a wallet on the sidewalk and someone else found it and kept it, then we might say the person who lost the wallet only has his own carelessness to blame.

However, it would be extremely tacky for the person who kept the wallet to make such a statement.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:02 pm

Congrats to all who get some end of the year travel in at - who's expense will this be?!

Last edited by runfit; Nov 24, 2010 at 12:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.