Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

~$1 for 5* Langham Hotel in Melbourne Australia - FARE GONE - DISCUSSION ONLY!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

~$1 for 5* Langham Hotel in Melbourne Australia - FARE GONE - DISCUSSION ONLY!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is the moral of the story to filter what goes into the list? Or is to see if ScottC would be willing to only let registered FT'ers with CC & Omni ability to subscribe (i.e. FT'ers that are active, not corporate lurkers?)? This presents an itself with an interesting case...

But as a moderator of this forum, I'm going to NOT continue this thought here on this thread since it's off-topic. If anyone would like to continue this discussion - please discuss it here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419236
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by tristan727
OMG - I only popped out of the house for a bit of fresh air (off sick today), & missed this - my brother lives 80 miles from Melbourne & tries to get in as often as possible. Never has enough money for these kind of places (teacher).

Could anyone who is going to cancel their reservation, as I'm sure 80% of you will, please contact me first to see if name additions/changes possible, as would mean a great deal if he and my sister-in-law could enjoy this place - anyone familiar with my posts, know I've been finding tons of similar deals for everyone here - from presidential suites to BA redemption errors, which I haven't even been able to use for myself!

Many thanks & would refund your 78c/night by Paypal, might even pay double, or quadruple even for Dec26th-30th for the Boxing Day cricket tests!
Absolutely no problem if Im not going and this really works.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
Am I the only who thinks that the Fare Alert list is a very, very bad idea.
I am willing to bet there are reps from many major booking sites and airlines subscribed to that list.
Now they don't even have to monitor FT, we helpfully email them about every mistake!!
I disagree. I understand your concern, but if these travel providers have the resources to monitor the Fare Alert e-mail, then the also have the resources to monitor FlyerTalk. And for every Fare Alert e-mail there are dozens of spectacular deals that don't make the cut or don't get publicized by the Fare Alert e-mail for some other reason.

MODERATOR EDIT - Please discuss this topic here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419236
bhatnasx, Mileage Run Moderator

Last edited by bhatnasx; Apr 25, 2005 at 12:14 pm
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
A priceline mole might be on Scott's email list.
I would imagine.

Certainly we can bet that Travelocity is signed up for that e-mail list
Originally Posted by cAAl
I disagree. I understand your concern, but if these travel providers have the resources to monitor the Fare Alert e-mail, then the also have the resources to monitor FlyerTalk. And for every Fare Alert e-mail there are dozens of spectacular deals that don't make the cut or don't get publicized by the Fare Alert e-mail for some other reason.
I'd have to disagree. The fare alert e-mail is a lot easier to monitor than FT. All you have to do is subscribe and then wait for an e-mail to pop up. It's a lot faster and easier than combing through FT all the time. They may miss some stuff, but the really, really good deals (e.g. this one, NAN, KEF) are the ones they are interested in, not the $150 WAS-SEA trips.

MODERATOR EDIT - Please discuss this topic here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419236

Last edited by bhatnasx; Apr 25, 2005 at 12:15 pm
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
Originally Posted by cAAl
i disagree with your disagreement. resources to monitor email are zip. i was working on something else (as i'm sure alot of you were) when i got the email and jumped straight on. no email, it wouldn't be discovered for hours (although i wouldn't have discovered it for a while either), when the 'resource' logs in, filters through the posts, and finds it.

clear as day.

Last edited by bhatnasx; Apr 25, 2005 at 12:15 pm
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please Do Not Discuss The Fare Alerts On This Thread

Please continue all discussion regarding the fare alerts on this this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419236

Thank you!

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator

Editted to add - Since I can't merge specific posts into other threads, I will delete future posts on this subject in this thread - let's try to keep the threads on the topic of the hotel in MEL - not the topic of the value of the Fare List. Thanks!

Last edited by bhatnasx; Apr 25, 2005 at 12:18 pm
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:09 pm

[QUOTE=yevlesh2]Am I the only who thinks that the Fare Alert list is a very, very bad idea.
I am willing to bet there are reps from many major booking sites and airlines subscribed to that list.
Now they don't even have to monitor FT, we helpfully email them about every mistake!!

You could be right, but they will have to read it and act before we do.

Last edited by bhatnasx; Apr 25, 2005 at 12:16 pm
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:10 pm

ok bhatnasx.

now, redemption. who's got thoughts?
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:11 pm
Suspended

I think farealert served its purpose well for this one

7 pages in a matter of minutes!!!
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:14 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Wow...take a few minutes to stop out for lunch and it all happens . I hope for those who get it that it doesn't turn out to be another "Lanesborough" situation .
Good luck!!
--Skye1
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:17 pm

Summary of Charges
Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): AUD 1 ($0.78 US - based on current exchange rate)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 21

Room Subtotal: AUD 21 ($16.38 US - based on current exchange rate)

Taxes & Fees: May Apply

Total Trip Cost: AUD 21 ($16.38 US - based on current exchange rate)

like, REALLY HIGH fees perhaps?
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:18 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by UA 882
I think farealert served its purpose well for this one

7 pages in a matter of minutes!!!
Just a thought - if it means that the people who actually are logged-in/using FT at the time, only benefit as much as anyone who is subscribed - what's the point of FT - active users will go down, so would advertising revenues etc. I would say 80% of users of the site are just in it for cheap deals, most of the rest like myself in it for bit of fun, deals & discourse, and maybe 5% just for the discourse. If that 80% went, revenues could go likewise? I'm including all the lurkers in the 80%, maybe it's a high number, but it's only a wild guess.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Darn, I tried to get it but it didn't work for me. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Good luck to all that got it!
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:20 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
It was 6.10pm here in London and 3.10am in Australia...
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MCI777

Now we can start the discussion of whether or not this will be honored.
Despite the fact I booked some, and Spiff kindly booked some for me too whilst I was changing booking websites, I have some doubt that this rate will be honored.

And my thanks to a fast responding bhatnasx ( ^) by email when my Amex would not work via PL, who suggested I book via www.travelweb.com. When you booked via there you clearly saw the room rate was $0.00. Traditionally one that no-one honors.

HOWEVER, they gave me this as a confirmation, showing a 'room cost' of 78 cents for some reason:

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): AUD1.00 ($0.78 US - based on current exchange rate)

----------------------

Room 1: Glen ozstamps Hotel Confirmation Number: 9433xxxx

Room Type: Classic Rm 1 King Bed Non Smoking Residential style Marble Bathroom Separate Shower/Bath Langham Blissful Bed Broadband G1K

Summary Of Charges

The actual charges for your hotel room are shown in the local currency below. The US dollar estimates provided are based on the current exchange rate.

Billing Name: glen ozstamps
Credit Card: American Express (ending in xxxx)
Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): AUD1.00 ($0.78 US - based on current exchange rate)
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Nights: 3
Room Subtotal: AUD3.00 ($2.34 US - based on current exchange rate)
Taxes & Fees: May Apply
Total Charges (excluding Taxes and Fees): AUD3.00 ($2.34 US - based on current exchange rate)

As not a lot of rooms were booked - that much is clear as it was pulled fast, and not a great number of folks have reported booking any here, and those that were booked are spread over 8 months, they may just wear it like Travelocity did with the Fiji fares, and US Air etc has with the $1.86 fares.

My guess is due to the make-up of FT at least 90% of the rooms booked were by North Americans excited about the deal, who will do nothing further when they discover in the cold light of day that the 18 hours flying each way (just from SFO/LAX) to use their $1 room night will cost them well over $1000 in COACH.

As it was ~3am in oz when this was emailed, almost none of the local FT'ers who clearly could use the rooms, booked them.

Fingers crossed they wear these, but I'd personally rate it 50/50 at best.

Glen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.