Reload this Page >

Some suggestions, please: Fine Dining in Chicago

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some suggestions, please: Fine Dining in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Might I add the following places to your list:

Kiki's Bistro for great French, nice outdoor seating in summer

MK Chicago for American food done to perfection with the service and setting to match. People from all over the country rave about MK after going there. Very Chicago, very good.
Old May 12, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
While it's not exactly fine dining, I was extremely impressed with Graham Elliot when I dined there last August and Mr. Elola was similarly impressed with a meal there last November. Haven't been yet in 2010 (dinners at Moto^^, Le Bernardin, an upcoming Alinea res and an Olympics trip to Vancouver have taken up most of our recreation budget thus far), but it's definitely a more reasonably priced option for people looking for great, innovative food in a relaxed atmosphere.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:53 pm

Just to update some of my more memorable and eats mentioned in the thread....

L2O was sublime... We were simply blown away... Stunning and provocative presentations, the way Tru used to make me feel years ago!

MK... Finally got around to try it (it has been there over 10 years now). The dinner was solid, but our dessert was vile. They did set us up with some digestifs after we were repulsed by dessert (some odd variation of carrot cake)

Graham Elliot is one of my everyday favs. I have had an occasional dish that was way off balence, but others have been really enjoyable. Like the caesar, love the foie grally pops when they are on the menu..
Old May 25, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Just to update some of my more memorable and eats mentioned in the thread....

L2O was sublime... We were simply blown away... Stunning and provocative presentations, the way Tru used to make me feel years ago!

MK... Finally got around to try it (it has been there over 10 years now). The dinner was solid, but our dessert was vile. They did set us up with some digestifs after we were repulsed by dessert (some odd variation of carrot cake)

Graham Elliot is one of my everyday favs. I have had an occasional dish that was way off balence, but others have been really enjoyable. Like the caesar, love the foie grally pops when they are on the menu..

Wow, I am surprised if not shocked by your desert experience, MK usually has some of the best in town and I say that having gone for years.
Old May 26, 2010, 9:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I ate at Gibson's Steakhouse last week and had not only a great meal, but perhaps the best waiter I've ever had. The food and liquour selection as well as wine list are impeccable and the space is nice, though can get a bit crowded. The service, however, sealed the deal. It's amazing when you have a waiter who is able to anticipate your needs and knows exactly when to show up, exactly how much to say and exactly when to leave.

Oh and the desserts are huge so make sure you're up to splitting them.

http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/
Old May 27, 2010, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mktozd
Wow, I am surprised if not shocked by your desert experience, MK usually has some of the best in town and I say that having gone for years.
We did something atypical and ordered the same "carrot cake" for sentimental reasons (it's a really long story). I could only describe it as something like french toast, with a carrot sauce, and some iced sweet cream on top. The carrot sauce was the repulsive part. We thought it was a bad choice, and there were plenty of other options on the dessert menu that sounded (and glancing at other tables) looked fantastic.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Reservations made.

We only have 3 nights in chicago. Here's what we got:

Alinea

Tru

L20

I thought about MK, and I also thought about Moto, but it seemed like these 3 were the move. What do people think?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you're going to have three world-class dinners. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
We only have 3 nights in chicago. Here's what we got:

Alinea

Tru

L20

I thought about MK, and I also thought about Moto, but it seemed like these 3 were the move. What do people think?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:34 am

Thanks!

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think you're going to have three world-class dinners. Enjoy!
Really looking forward to this. Not only Chicago dining, but also molecular gastronomy!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:47 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
We only have 3 nights in chicago. Here's what we got: Alinea, Tru, L20.

I have ate at Tru numerous times and have never had a poor experience. I'm eager to hear how you like L20.

I think you made a good decision to skip Moto. I ate there a month ago and was not that impressed with any aspect of it.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I have ate at Tru numerous times and have never had a poor experience. I'm eager to hear how you like L20.

I think you made a good decision to skip Moto. I ate there a month ago and was not that impressed with any aspect of it.
Thanks. I'll report back after I go!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:18 am

I believe I remember reading in some recent poll (sorry I can't find the exact reference at this time) that one my favorites Les Nomandes was given a top billing as "readers favorite for food". Probably much more traditional fare than at the establishments discussed. I believe SFflyer123 should have three wonderful evenings.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: United 2P
I just cannot believe that no where in this thread is their mention of The Publican !!

a must if you are in for an afternoon/evening of indulging in quite simply the greatest, most decadent meal of your life.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by apadru2
I just cannot believe that no where in this thread is their mention of The Publican !!

a must if you are in for an afternoon/evening of indulging in quite simply the greatest, most decadent meal of your life.
I would encourage anyone tempted by this post to check out the menu and the website. This is not something for everyone.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I would encourage anyone tempted by this post to check out the menu and the website. This is not something for everyone.
Agree - I was most underwhelmed by the Publican. I don't think anywhere in Chicago quite gets the Gastropub concept right but IMO The Gage does a much better job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.