Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some suggestions, please: Fine Dining in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:33 pm
glg

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
For instance, for our lunches, we're getting Al's Italian Beef and Lucky's over-stuffed sandwiches. Of course, the "dive" places can be delicious, but they're off-topic on this thread. Thus, I am trying to stick to the fancy schmancy places!
Sorry to take this further off topic, but... Unless you're really sold on it, skip Lucky's. It's decent, but there's nothing Chicago about it. It's a knock off of Pittsburgh's Primanti Bros. I was a little disappointed to see it on Man vs Food, but then, I couldn't think of another food challenge around.

To go back on topic, I'll toss out a recommendation for Topolobampo. It's not quite the cutting edge type thing that Tru or Alinea is, but it is definitely fine dining.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:50 pm

i would suggest Wildfire in downtown Chicago.
http://www.wildfirerestaurant.com/chicago

its not super fancy schmancy dining but its a great steak place and for the price, a really great value. if you're into drinks, they have a fantastic flight of martinis that you can try.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I will second you on Topolobampo. Every meal I have ever had has been unique and memorable and it is by far the most complex, subtle Mexican restaurant (though calling it that does not do it justice)in the US. As far as fun street food Rick Bayless also owns Xoco next door to Frontera/Topolobampo which has terrific sandwiches, though it can be a mob scene.

Jim

I engage many cities in this wide, wonderful world but my heart belongs to Chicago
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Ones to take a look at: Tru, Zealous, Alinea

Is Zealous still recommended?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the good ideas. For me, it looks like Tru and Alinea. Unfortunately, I do not like Mexican food (yes, one of the few people who dont!). It's nothing against the food, but I eat burrito's all the time here in SF, so when I travel, I want "fine dining." I am very curious about the whole molecular gastronomy scene.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Thanks for the good ideas. For me, it looks like Tru and Alinea. Unfortunately, I do not like Mexican food (yes, one of the few people who dont!). It's nothing against the food, but I eat burrito's all the time here in SF, so when I travel, I want "fine dining." I am very curious about the whole molecular gastronomy scene.
Yeah, I don't like burgers and I don't like them so much that I eat them "all the time."
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the good ideas. For me, it looks like Tru and Alinea. Unfortunately, I do not like Mexican food (yes, one of the few people who dont!). It's nothing against the food, but I eat burrito's all the time here in SF, so when I travel, I want "fine dining."
Xoco's hot chocolate and churros are edible ecstasy. Even if you don't like Mexican food, hot chocolate and donuts = awesome. Also, Xoco is different from the "Mexican food" you're probably thinking of. Burritos these ain't!

It's really really good, but be prepared to wait in line for an hour before you eat, any time you go.

I am very curious about the whole molecular gastronomy scene.
Then check out Moto.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:40 pm
glg

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Xoco's hot chocolate and churros are edible ecstasy. Even if you don't like Mexican food, hot chocolate and donuts = awesome. Also, Xoco is different from the "Mexican food" you're probably thinking of. Burritos these ain't!
None of Bayless' food can be compared to "I eat burritos all the time".
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Yeah, I don't like burgers and I don't like them so much that I eat them "all the time."
You know what I mean...

I eat burrito's so much that I don't wanna go to Chicago to eat more burritos. I want things in Chicago that I can't get in SF. I don't think there is a molecular gastronomy scene in SF at all. I heard that Alinea is better than Moto. I wanted to go to Moto, but Alinea seems to be the rage.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:02 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I have heard a lot of good things about L2O. Based upon a disaster of an experience at Charlie Trotter's, I would not recommend his place at all.

I also echo recommendations for Rick Bayless' restaurants!!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by luxury
I have heard a lot of good things about L2O. Based upon a disaster of an experience at Charlie Trotter's, I would not recommend his place at all.

I also echo recommendations for Rick Bayless' restaurants!!
You shouldn't be allowed to call an experience at a four star restaurant "a disaster," without telling us what happened!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:08 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You shouldn't be allowed to call an experience at a four star restaurant "a disaster," without telling us what happened!
Here is what happened:

We were sat right away at our table upstairs but had to wait 15 minutes before anyone came to greet us and give us the menu's. This sort of set the tone for the rest of the evening.

The service was wanting all night long -- it took us over 30 minutes to find an acceptable wine to pair with our meal (my sister taking more items from the vegetarian menu and myself entirely from the Grand tasting -- which are the only two options available). We would tell the sommelier what sorts of wine we liked but he was not very responsive nor very helpful in guiding us. No recommendations were offered to us so I finally just chose something I knew we would like.

No amuse bouche brought to our table. Bread and water were "re-filled" only upon request. I actually poured some of our wine by myself.

The food on the whole was decent but I would not say mind-blowing. I think Gary Danko is far superior to Trotter's and that is nothing to say about the Michelin starred establishments in Paris.

The timing of our courses became so skewed that another couple who sat next to us 30 minutes after us received their 4th course and dessert before us. With the tables so close we knew they were not in a hurry.

At the conclusion of the meal, I mentioned to a Manager that we were disappointed with the meal and all he did was to thank us for the feedback and gave us a tour of the kitchen. Turned out there indeed was an amuse but since it was something we could not eat the restaurant did not offer it to us. However, nothing was ever mentioned about an amuse, or did the restaurant, which prides itself for customising menus for clients, offer to make us a different amuse.

We left the restaurant in much the same way we arrived, without much of a greeting, or farewell, and left about as hungry as we arrived.

I complained in writing and it turns out the Manager who I met was the Executive Chef.

We have been invited back for dinner -- we may take them up on the offer next time we are in Chicago.

This was a disaster because the service was completely lacking and the food was lacklustre.

Note: I am trying to find the menu we had -- if I do, I will post it....
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:20 pm

Adelle's in suburban Wheaton. L2O is on my to-do list.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Best two dinners I've had in Chicago this year were at Home Bistro and BonSoiree. Great food, incredible values and both allow corkage.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TimF1975
Best two dinners I've had in Chicago this year were at Home Bistro and BonSoiree. Great food, incredible values and both allow corkage.
Used to go to HB a fair amount (the chef is a friend). The food is very yummy, but Jon Carl's (the chef) chief ingredients are butter and salt. You just can't eat there a lot. It's very rich.

HB has no corkage fees; it's entirely BYOB.

You might also check out the Hearty Boys' new restaurant on Halsted and Grace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.