Search

Some suggestions, please: Fine Dining in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Some suggestions, please: Fine Dining in Chicago

We would like to take a cousin out for a special birthday dinner in Chicago in September. Can you please make some suggestions on where we might go? We're pretty open to many different cuisines. Did Charlie Trotters many years back. We're looking for something of that caliber in food and service, but I'm not familiar with the newer "hot spots of dining".

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
The ones I can think of off the top of my head include the following:

Everest
440 S. LaSalle

Catch 35
35 W. Wacker

Ambria

Trio (Evanston)
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
Frontera Grill is a favorite of ours when we're in Chicago.... It's authentic Mexican - not the TexMex style you get in U.S. - and not your standard Mexican restuarant, much nicer.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:27 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Ones to take a look at: Tru, Zealous, Alinea
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alinea is spectacular, although some sad news about it was reported today.

The other "dedicated" fine dining spots I enjoy:

- Tru
- Arun's (great Thai)
- Spring
- Meritage
- Heat
- North Pond
- Moto

Keep in mind these are all considered "fine dining" and, as a result, they have prices that match. In Chicago, the more "$" signs a restaurant has doesn't necessarily mean it offers better food. There are tons of restaurants at the heels of the top tier spots that serve amazing dishes and offer a more enjoyable experience. Most of these spots are owned by chefs who have trained with the big boys and have broken off to start up their own little empire.

If you want to list the types of cuisines you'd like, as well as other restaurant atmosphere elements you enjoy, perhaps our resident foodies here (myself included) can point you to some very nice, but more "neighborhood" spots with amazing food!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by elll
Frontera Grill is a favorite of ours when we're in Chicago.... It's authentic Mexican - not the TexMex style you get in U.S. - and not your standard Mexican restuarant, much nicer.
Within Frontera, Topolobampo is a more upscale option.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by jcherney
We would like to take a cousin out for a special birthday dinner in Chicago in September. Can you please make some suggestions on where we might go? We're pretty open to many different cuisines. Did Charlie Trotters many years back. We're looking for something of that caliber in food and service, but I'm not familiar with the newer "hot spots of dining". Thanks in advance.
Over many years and a number of visits, mt favoritie combination of appearance, appeal, service, variety of menu, decently prepared food at decent prices and convenience (on West Hubbard, a couple of blocks West of State) is Brasserie Jo, which looks and tastes French without being pretentiously so. Tile floors, white table clothes and a wine list - conventional, but not over blown - for folks who want to enjoy wine not absorb outrageous prices.

TMO
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:55 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Alinea is spectacular, although some sad news about it was reported today.
Thanks. I missed the thread on that.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Over many years and a number of visits, mt favoritie combination of appearance, appeal, service, variety of menu, decently prepared food at decent prices and convenience (on West Hubbard, a couple of blocks West of State) is Brasserie Jo, which looks and tastes French without being pretentiously so. Tile floors, white table clothes and a wine list - conventional, but not over blown - for folks who want to enjoy wine not absorb outrageous prices.

TMO
Please, when you're in Chicago next...do me a favor and instead of Jo, go to Le Bouchon (Damen & Armitage). Small, neighborhood authentic French bistro...IMHO knocks the socks off of Jo's, and it will leave a few extra bucks in your wallet. And a second choice is Bistro Margot on Wells St.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
And a second choice is Bistro Margot on Wells St.
^

I hope to try Le Bouchon soon
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by indo79
^

I hope to try Le Bouchon soon
There are much better French bistros with far less attitude in the city.

But 959's other suggestion; Bistro Margot is ^.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by PrinzII
The ones I can think of off the top of my head include the following:

Everest
440 S. LaSalle

Catch 35
35 W. Wacker

Ambria

Trio (Evanston)
Ambria is closed.

But to echo some of the other rec's here:
Tru
Zealous
Alinea
Spring
Avenues

and not previously mentioned..... Le Lan!
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Please, when you're in Chicago next...do me a favor and instead of Jo, go to Le Bouchon (Damen & Armitage). Small, neighborhood authentic French bistro...IMHO knocks the socks off of Jo's, and it will leave a few extra bucks in your wallet. And a second choice is Bistro Margot on Wells St.
Once I would have agreed with you. Le Bouchon is no longer anything special IMHO. It's crowded (tables on top of each other) and noisy. Even if you have a reservation, you'll wait. (It's difficult to get people to turn over quickly in such a tiny place. You'll be sent to the bar to wait and will be in the way of servers, other customers and you'll be hovering over the people at the tables 18 inches away, who are trying to eat.) These things are nothing new, however, I don't think the food is special enough to put up with it any longer. The last time I was there, I don't know whether the waitress couldn't resist touching me or couldn't avoid touching me every time she went by.

Brasserie Jo is a much more comfortable experience. Or, if you want to splurge, Everest (same Executive Chef).

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jul 25, 2007 at 8:56 am
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Wow! What a list! This'll take me a while to go thru. Thanks to everyone that contributed.

A little OT, but I thought you'd appreciate this one. When I was at Charlie Trotters (as I mentioned in the OP) it was a surprise for my 35th birthday. I was with 7 others, including my wife. And the bill was going to be a stretch for us at that time. To make a long story short, my wife tells the waiter that she'd like everyone to try all the desserts. Imagine our surprise (and the looks from everyone seated near us) when the staff brings out 1 of EACH dessert for everyone! If I remember correctly, there were something like 5 or 6 choices X 8 people!! There were trays and plates everywhere. When my wife got the bill, the desserts alone came to close to $300 or so. She almost choked. Now we can laugh about it, but then it was a matter of national debt!
Old Jul 26, 2007, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Another place you might like to try that hasn't been listed yet is Moto.

http://www.motorestaurant.com/flash/index.html

Edited to add: Sorry, I see that Moto was listed above. You've got the link now, anyway.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jul 26, 2007 at 8:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.