Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

ORD runway numbers changing

Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Listen up all Channel 9 fans. While not specific to UA of course, they are the only carrier offering flight deck communications. July 5 current runway 9R-27L will be renamed 10R-28L. So if you're coming in and think you're at the wrong airport no need to panic. In August 9L-27R will become 9R-27L. Confused? In November next year (huge maybe) the new north runway will be 9L-27R.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:48 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
OK. The next question is: Why?

How do they decide on the numbers for runways anyways? I understand the L and R are left and right, but what do the numbers mean?
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g_leyser
How do they decide on the numbers for runways anyways? I understand the L and R are left and right, but what do the numbers mean?
Add a zero to the runway number and you have its direction. So runway 28 means it is at a heading of 280.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
If I recall, the #s on the runways roughly line up with the compass heading in which the runway is 'pointed.' You just need to add a 0 to the end of the runway number. For example runway 9 would be headed at 90 degrees or East. The same runway approached from the other direction would be 270, or 270 degrees; West.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Listen up all Channel 9 fans. While not specific to UA of course, they are the only carrier offering flight deck communications. July 5 current runway 9R-27L will be renamed 10R-28L. So if you're coming in and think you're at the wrong airport no need to panic. In August 9L-27R will become 9R-27L. Confused? In November next year (huge maybe) the new north runway will be 9L-27R.
Sure they're not just changing them to L-C-R? I know some airports with 3 parallel runways designate a Center runway. Since I believe the ORD shift is temporary until the whole new construction is done (in 20 years?) I wonder why it is not just done that way.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Sure they're not just changing them to L-C-R? I know some airports with 3 parallel runways designate a Center runway. Since I believe the ORD shift is temporary until the whole new construction is done (in 20 years?) I wonder why it is not just done that way.
They are not using C because when all is said and done there will be 4 parallel east/west runways. Two on the north side (where they are building a new north field control tower) and 2 on the south side.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:06 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I learned something new today and it's not even lunchtime yet!! ^
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandalby
If I recall, the #s on the runways roughly line up with the compass heading in which the runway is 'pointed.' You just need to add a 0 to the end of the runway number. For example runway 9 would be headed at 90 degrees or East. The same runway approached from the other direction would be 270, or 270 degrees; West.
This is true. What I'm confused over...is they're simply changing the runway's numbers from 9/27 to 10/28. But they're not physically rotating the runway 10 degrees.

LAX is the same way...the 4 runways are parallel, but they are 7/25LR and 6/24LR. I guess there are special notes on the approach charts to alert pilots that a heading correction is necessary.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
They are not using C because when all is said and done there will be 4 parallel east/west runways. Two on the north side (where they are building a new north field control tower) and 2 on the south side.
Actually, 6:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...S%29_Final.png

SmilingBoy.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:29 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by UNITED959
This is true. What I'm confused over...is they're simply changing the runway's numbers from 9/27 to 10/28. But they're not physically rotating the runway 10 degrees.

LAX is the same way...the 4 runways are parallel, but they are 7/25LR and 6/24LR. I guess there are special notes on the approach charts to alert pilots that a heading correction is necessary.
Great point. The reason they can do this is that the ORD runways are at approximately 93/273 degrees. Thus, they currently round down to "Runway 9," but they can also round the same runways up to "Runway 10," without physically rotating the runways.

See http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/20...ms/00166AD.PDF

LAX does the same thing. All four runways are at 249.8 degrees. So they round two down to "Runway 24" and the other two up to "Runway 25."

See http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/20...ms/00237AD.PDF

Off-topic, but interestingly, sometimes a runway heading DOES change, even when the runway does not physically move. The runway headings are based on magnetic north, not true north. Magnetic north "moves" at a very slow rate. Thus, a runway heading might eventually have to be changed, because its magnetic direction has changed. An example of this is the Palo Alto municipal airport (PAO). It used to have runway 12/30, but a few years ago they had to rename it 13/31, because of the magnetic variation.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:56 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
emphasis mine: as if it wasn't bad enough already.......so now both sfo & ord will have weather delays on runways with same numbers
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by nnn
The runway headings are based on magnetic north, not true north. Magnetic north "moves" at a very slow rate. Thus, a runway heading might eventually have to be changed, because its magnetic direction has changed.
Exactly the reason.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I guess there are special notes on the approach charts to alert pilots that a heading correction is necessary.

Nope... no special notes. Well... mostly not. The chart does list magnetic heading for the runway. The runway numbers don't exactly line up with magnetic heading anyway and are mainly used for clerical purposes, if you can call it that. I've seen airports where the headings are off by 15+ degrees from magnetic which really screw you up when double checking your instruments after lining up for an instrument departure.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma dog
Nope... no special notes. Well... mostly not. The chart does list magnetic heading for the runway. The runway numbers don't exactly line up with magnetic heading anyway and are mainly used for clerical purposes, if you can call it that. I've seen airports where the headings are off by 15+ degrees from magnetic which really screw you up when double checking your instruments after lining up for an instrument departure.
Fair enough...I'd like to think the pilots can get close enough to the big 2 mile piece of asphalt and direct the plane down accordingly. Worst case, when it's about time for touchdown and there are houses and swimming pools directly below, there's the go-around option.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:59 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Fair enough...I'd like to think the pilots can get close enough to the big 2 mile piece of asphalt and direct the plane down accordingly. Worst case, when it's about time for touchdown and there are houses and swimming pools directly below, there's the go-around option.
You'd think... but then again, there are plenty of cases where the pilots of a flight land at another airport accidentally, such as when NW landed at Ellsworth Air Force Base instead of RAP. Or the numerous planes that try to land on Taxiway T at SEA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.