Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fish and Chips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Fish and Chips

Prefer the city.

can be all you can eat, or just plain good.

prefer light, but bring on the duke of perth.

suggestions?

i have never been to a VFW one
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Fish and Chips... Mmmmmm... Now I'm hungry! The VFW and Catholic Church (during Lent) ones that I've been to just cannot compare with any in England... And what is the deal with the "Fish and Chips" at various restaurants like Red Lobster that isn't cod? Red Lobster serves something other than cod for theirs, as do many other places... It has to be cod.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:21 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Is there actually a point to this thread?

Are we supposed to pick a city? A date? Or is this just a stream of consciousness?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Is there actually a point to this thread?

Are we supposed to pick a city? A date? Or is this just a stream of consciousness?
I think you are supposed to testify to your true feelings towards fish and chips. I like mine with vinegar and salt, please.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Dining Buzz???
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by kipper
what is the deal with the "Fish and Chips" at various restaurants like Red Lobster that isn't cod?
In Toronto, it tends to be either halibut or haddock. We killed all our cod.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
It is very easy to catch a cod, especially in the winter. I caught a cod and suffered through it, but I feel much better now.

I thought I would post in this thread, just for the halibut — at least, until the CommunityBuzz! moderators have just about haddock with this thread...
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I can't remember what I've been told it is at Red Lobster, but I was disappointed... I think they said it was haddock, but don't quote me on that. Then, there are people that call it fish and chips, but it's breaded and they use cereal in the breading, like Capitol City Brewing. http://www.capcitybrew.com/menus/Shirlington.pdf Theirs is tilapia (which now that I know what tilapia eat, I won't eat tilapia) with spiced buttermilk and corn flake crumb batter.

Fish and chips for me is: North Atlantic cod, batter-dipped and deep fried and steak fries, served with sea salt and lots of vinegar.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I screwed up. I had multiple windows open and it was late and I meant to post in Travel and Dining for Chicago. I wanted recommendations for Chicago.

Mea Culpa.

Mods: Please move thread.

Again...sorry.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I can't help you in Chicago, but there's a great little pub on the beach in Cairns, Australia that has the best F&C I've ever tasted. Good on ya!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:03 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
At OP's request and with good cause, this thread is moved to Travel & Dining-> Chicago for further discussion on OP's interest in a good F & C recommendation in Chicagoland. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Red Lion Pub

When I want British "food", I go to Red Lion Pub on North Lincoln. I've never been to England, and I've never had Red Lion's fish & chips, but their bangers and nash are good. It's a great place to go on a cold winter day.

Here's a review:

Historically, the English are not known for their food, making "British Cuisine" seem like an oxymoron. However, I have found English food to be quite satisfying, particularly at the Red Lion where I've personally had the fish & chips, and bangers & mash – both of which were fantastic. For those of you who aren't familiar with English food, bangers refers to sausages and mash refers to mashed potatoes, the latter of which are served pleasantly peppered making them a bit spicy. The Red Lion offers other Pommy favorites as shepherd's pie, sausage rolls, steak & kidney pie, burgers, Welsh Rarebit, and ploughman's sandwiches. In the 2002 edition of Zagat's Chicago Restaurants survey, the Red Lion was rated as having good food, service and decor. An average meal should cost you around $18.

http://www.chicagobarproject.com/Rev...on/RedLion.htm

I've tried numerous carry-outs for fish & chips on the north side and they all have not been very good. If you find a good one, let me know!

Steve
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
ok, I couldn't stop myself....not Chicago, but last weekend was at Yankee Clipper restaurant on Santana Row (sjc)---they were out of cod so guess what they were using for their fish and chips? Catfish!!! Uh, I ordered the steamed clams.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:47 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chichow
... but bring on the duke of perth.

suggestions?
Duke of Perth is a good one, GREAT single malt scotch selection.
2913 N. Clark, Chicago
Tel: (773) 477-1741

Goose Island used to have one on Friday nights, no longer.

when smelt are running some pubs have baskets of fried smelts which are so good.

The usual suspect fried fish houses are a choice, but I usually prefer the shrimp.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

Goose Island used to have one on Friday nights, no longer.
Are you referring to Goose Island Shrimp House or Goose Island Brewery?

Goose Island Brewery certainly does still offer a Friday Fish and Chips special, I stuffed myself last Friday at the Clybourn Avenue location. I would assume the Clark Street location also still offers this special, since the menus at both locations are identical.

A very good deal and very tasty, especially with a few IPA's to wash it down.

The Abbey Pub on North Elston also offers a tasty Friday Fish and Chips all-you-can-eat special, and they pour a great Guinness there too.

Last edited by touringuy; Jan 12, 2006 at 11:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.