FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fish and Chips
Thread: Fish and Chips
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:02 pm
Schurr

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Red Lion Pub

When I want British "food", I go to Red Lion Pub on North Lincoln. I've never been to England, and I've never had Red Lion's fish & chips, but their bangers and nash are good. It's a great place to go on a cold winter day.

Here's a review:

Historically, the English are not known for their food, making "British Cuisine" seem like an oxymoron. However, I have found English food to be quite satisfying, particularly at the Red Lion where I've personally had the fish & chips, and bangers & mash – both of which were fantastic. For those of you who aren't familiar with English food, bangers refers to sausages and mash refers to mashed potatoes, the latter of which are served pleasantly peppered making them a bit spicy. The Red Lion offers other Pommy favorites as shepherd's pie, sausage rolls, steak & kidney pie, burgers, Welsh Rarebit, and ploughman's sandwiches. In the 2002 edition of Zagat's Chicago Restaurants survey, the Red Lion was rated as having good food, service and decor. An average meal should cost you around $18.

http://www.chicagobarproject.com/Rev...on/RedLion.htm

I've tried numerous carry-outs for fish & chips on the north side and they all have not been very good. If you find a good one, let me know!

Steve