Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
You have most of it correct.

UA checkin is at T1. Your flight to YYZ could depart from either T1 or T2.
I would definitely try to check your bag with UA at their post-customs bag drop desk in T5. They are more likely to ignore the four hour window since you're coming off a flight from Japan.
As for general airport access, T1, T2, and T3 are a single security zone where you can walk between them. T5 is inside security via bus but once you go through security at T1, there probably isn't any point of taking the bus to T5. You might not be able to anyway as many have reported there's a check to see if you have a BP for a T5 departure.
Thanks. the email I received with my itinerary mentioned T2 (it's a UA / AC code share flight). But when I checked google, last few days this flight departed from T1. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and first drop off bags with UA in T5 if it's not a long line

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Yes, you got the process right.

I am unsure if you can check bags at 12h before in T5, but one thing you could try is if NH can tag the bags to YYZ. If they're already tagged, you simply drop them off at a conveyor belt after customs. You can enter any terminal with your bp and take the bus indeed.
Good thought but the OP is flying JAL who very likely won't tag the bags to YYZ across separate reservations.
I looked into this after and saw an old post that shows JAL had interline agreement with UA for checking through luggage: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25588645-post8.html
But based on posts in that thread, seems YMMV if they would do it for separate tickets based on agent
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: Chase, United
Hi. Flying AA in a few days, ORD->LAX. (I think that is terminal 3). I have tsa pre, and would like to go through TSA with it. I like the get to airport early, and it looks like there might be a priority pass lounge in Terminal 5.

I guess the overarching q. is, what should I do, e.g. go through security at 5, use lounge, take X route to 3 knowing it'll take Y minutes.

But more, specifically, do all the terminals have tsa pre lines? Does it matter where I go through?

Can someone explain the airside terminal connections between 3 and 5? Is there a bus and a train? Anything to choose between them.

tia, zc!
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by zoechow
Hi. Flying AA in a few days, ORD->LAX. (I think that is terminal 3). I have tsa pre, and would like to go through TSA with it. I like the get to airport early, and it looks like there might be a priority pass lounge in Terminal 5.

I guess the overarching q. is, what should I do, e.g. go through security at 5, use lounge, take X route to 3 knowing it'll take Y minutes.

But more, specifically, do all the terminals have tsa pre lines? Does it matter where I go through?

Can someone explain the airside terminal connections between 3 and 5? Is there a bus and a train? Anything to choose between them.

tia, zc!
All terminals have TSA Pre lanes, although hours of operation do vary. There is CLEAR in all terminals except T3.

You can take a terminal transfer bus from T5 to T3 or vice versa between 11:30am and 9:30pm: https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/tbt.aspx. The ATS train runs outside security, but with TSA Pre the time penalty is usually not large, as the trains run significantly more frequently.

FWIW, the Swissport lounge in T5 is absolutely not worth the extra effort of getting between terminals. It is a small, windowless space with sparse furnishings and very limited food and drink options.
chessman, goodeats21 and zoechow like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 12:36 am

I am arriving in ORD from HKG on Cathay Pacific. I am planning to book a separate domestic ticket on southwest. Are 3.5 hours enough for all this (I will have to clear immigration on a Visa)? I will have to collect my luggage and then check it in again. Or should I pick a later domestic flight (there is another 6 hours after the international arrival)?

Last edited by irenem; Apr 18, 2024 at 5:50 am
Old Apr 18, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Considering that you'll be entering with a visa and have to go through the visitor line, really all about how long that line takes. Personally, I'd go with a later one since a couple hour long line isn't out of the question.
TWA884 and irenem like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 9:15 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by irenem
I am arriving in ORD from HKG on Cathay Pacific. I am planning to book a separate domestic ticket on southwest. Are 3.5 hours enough for all this (I will have to clear immigration on a Visa)? I will have to collect my luggage and then check it in again. Or should I pick a later domestic flight (there is another 6 hours after the international arrival)?
The U.S. CBP publishes immigration wait times for ports of entry and the most recent data is for Tuesday April 16. Between 2 PM and 3 PM at ORD T5 (the hour the flight from Hong Kong arrives), it's showing for non-US citizens:

Average wait time -- 16 minutes
Longest wait time -- 39 minutes

If your processing time is remotely close to this, a 3.5 hour gap between flights is plenty of time. Southwest is in the same terminal, too.

You can check wait times here:
https://awt.cbp.gov
irenem likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 3:45 am

The U.S. CBP publishes immigration wait times for ports of entry and the most recent data is for Tuesday April 16. Between 2 PM and 3 PM at ORD T5 (the hour the flight from Hong Kong arrives), it's showing for non-US citizens:

Average wait time -- 16 minutes
Longest wait time -- 39 minutes

If your processing time is remotely close to this, a 3.5 hour gap between flights is plenty of time. Southwest is in the same terminal, too.

You can check wait times here:
https://awt.cbp.gov
Thanks!
The travel is later in the summer. I looked at the data from last year for the same time period at the link you posted.
The average wait time was 70 minutes, the max wait time was 2h20minutes.

I booked a southwest flight 3.5h after arrival -- how likely is it that I will catch it?
My fare on southwest is get away + which allows me same day changes without any fees, in case the immigration time is too long.

After immigration, how long should I have in order for a good chance of catching my domestic flight (I have to collect luggage, and recheck it, but it seems southwest flys from the same terminal)?

If my connection is fairly dicey, I will cancel my flight today and rebook for the later one that departs 6.5h after my arrival, on basic get away and save $15.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by irenem
Thanks!
The travel is later in the summer. I looked at the data from last year for the same time period at the link you posted.
The average wait time was 70 minutes, the max wait time was 2h20minutes.

I booked a southwest flight 3.5h after arrival -- how likely is it that I will catch it?
My fare on southwest is get away + which allows me same day changes without any fees, in case the immigration time is too long.

After immigration, how long should I have in order for a good chance of catching my domestic flight (I have to collect luggage, and recheck it, but it seems southwest flys from the same terminal)?

If my connection is fairly dicey, I will cancel my flight today and rebook for the later one that departs 6.5h after my arrival, on basic get away and save $15.
The immigration facility was undergowing a massive reconstruction which is now complete so data from last year probably isn't very representative of what's going on today. After you exit customs at T5, take the escalator or elevator up to the departure level and just look for the Southwest counters. If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to schedule a 3.5 hour layover, especialy considering Southwest is about the most flexible airline when it comes to last-moment changes.
irenem likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 7:17 am

The immigration facility was undergowing a massive reconstruction which is now complete so data from last year probably isn't very representative of what's going on today. After you exit customs at T5, take the escalator or elevator up to the departure level and just look for the Southwest counters. If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to schedule a 3.5 hour layover, especialy considering Southwest is about the most flexible airline when it comes to last-moment changes.
I would also relook at Southwest's schedules for when you're traveling. Due to aircraft shortages (about 40 planes) Southwest is reducing activity nationwide. ORD will get hit with a 40% reduction starting June 4th.
irenem likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 2:34 pm

Thanks. Typically, how long does it take to clear security once checked in?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Arriving from YYZ (Terminal 2, CBP customs at YYZ, so same as arriving from a domestic flight). Flying out of T5 to IST not quite 2 hours later.

Would I be able to connect airside, avoiding any and all TSA/Security?

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Arriving from YYZ (Terminal 2, CBP customs at YYZ, so same as arriving from a domestic flight). Flying out of T5 to IST not quite 2 hours later.

Would I be able to connect airside, avoiding any and all TSA/Security?

Thanks
Morning flight to IST -- landside only
Evening flight to IST -- airside

Terminal transfer bus (airside) runs 11:30 AM to 9:30 PM.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/tbt.aspx

edit If it's the evening TK flight you're on, you'll have to walk over to T1 Gate B1 (closer than the T3 bus gates) to get the bus. Will just take a few minutes.
bambinomartino likes this.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Apr 24, 2024 at 9:01 pm
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:13 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Morning flight to IST -- landside only
Evening flight to IST -- airside

Terminal transfer bus (airside) runs 11:30 AM to 9:30 PM.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/tbt.aspx

edit If it's the evening TK flight you're on, you'll have to walk over to T1 Gate B1 (closer than the T3 bus gates) to get the bus. Will just take a few minutes.
Thank you! I did not realize the terminal transfer bus doesn't run until 11:30 (kind of shocking, but I'm sure there is a good reason). It was the morning flight I was eyeing. The evening one works as well, although I'd be losing a half a day of a short trip. I might take the time to get some deep dish pizza.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Thank you! I did not realize the terminal transfer bus doesn't run until 11:30 (kind of shocking, but I'm sure there is a good reason). It was the morning flight I was eyeing. The evening one works as well, although I'd be losing a half a day of a short trip. I might take the time to get some deep dish pizza.
There is a good reason for why the bus doesn't run until 11:30 AM. All of the Europe departures are in the afternoon or evening, except for the early IST flight which doesn't run daily anyway. The Asia departures are mostly in the morning but All Nippon is from T1 while JAL is from T3 so no transfer bus is needed for those. Korean Air is from T5 but they are part of SkyTeam (Delta) which is in T5.

Going landside from T2 to T5 is no big deal. The train runs about every 4 or 5 minutes, takes at most 5 minutes between the terminals, and T5 security is rarely if ever crowded in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.