Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Is there anywhere to store a bag at ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond

Got a long layover and don't want to check my backpack in, but on the other hand, I don't want to carry it around for 10hrs whilst I do some touristy things.

Is there any luggage storage at ORD (Chicago O'Hare), or say, Union Station?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Below is a post from 2018. I doubt the situation has improved.

"monsieurcumulus;29598730] ....No storage in ORD and Hilton (and any hotels) will usually refuse to check if you don't stay there. Union Station has a bag check but you need a train ticket. You may want to look at bagnb.com"
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Snuggs

Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus
....No storage in ORD and Hilton (and any hotels) will usually refuse to check if you don't stay there. Union Station has a bag check but you need a train ticket. You may want to look at bagnb.com
The following is is a cross post of a reply to a similar post in the UA forum. The post I reference is from the end of May 2021.

Take a look at this thread in the US - Midwest forum, specifically post #431. It is one of the long layover threads and there are people who have posted on the thread saying they were able to do a "left luggage" service at the Hilton (directly connected to the domestic terminals) for a fee. .

This information is a couple of years old so YMMV.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 9:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Snuggs

"monsieurcumulus;29598730] ....No storage in ORD and Hilton (and any hotels) will usually refuse to check if you don't stay there. Union Station has a bag check but you need a train ticket. You may want to look at bagnb.com"
That post runs contrary to the many dozens of times when I have stored luggage with the Hilton ORD bellhop desk. Did it multiple times in 2018 and 2019 too.

The Hilton ORD has never stopped accepting to hold my luggage — for a fixed fee per item (paid in cash upfront) — even when I’ve not been staying the night there and have no bookings to do so. But I go direct to the bellhop desk to do so.

Here are the words from the above referred to post 431 there, a post dated May 2021:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Hilton at ORD has been good about holding my bags even as a non-guest. They do charge for baggage storage on a per item basis, cash only at that. I think the fee was something like $5 or $10 per bag, but I've not had to do it since Q1 2020; but I did see them doing it this month.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 29, 2023 at 11:54 am
Old May 23, 2023, 7:00 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That post runs contrary to the many dozens of times when I have stored luggage with the Hilton ORD bellhop desk. Did it multiple times in 2018 and 2019 too.

The Hilton ORD has never stopped accepting to hold my luggage — for a fixed fee per item (paid in cash upfront) — even when I’ve not been staying the night there and have no bookings to do so. But I go direct to the bellhop desk to do so.

Here are the words from the above referred to post 431 there, a post dated May 2021:
Great data point, thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'll follow up and say that I did check my bag at Union Station for $20 (price for non-Amtrak customers).
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Quite practical that such thread exist. Our family has ~10h layover at ORD in june while coming from domestic, was planning to visit city center BUT
As outbound flight is on different PNR, changes are 0% that AA would check baggages through to AY, regardless or OW status? Hilton would sound like reasonable option but can one trust on it still existing, cash payment sounds like off-the-books arrangement that has tendency to disappear quickly.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Quite practical that such thread exist. Our family has ~10h layover at ORD in june while coming from domestic, was planning to visit city center BUT
As outbound flight is on different PNR, changes are 0% that AA would check baggages through to AY, regardless or OW status? Hilton would sound like reasonable option but can one trust on it still existing, cash payment sounds like off-the-books arrangement that has tendency to disappear quickly.
If AA won't check the bag through (it seems to me they would, even if you're on two reservations) then you'll have to pick up the bag at ORD anyway. Just take it to the AY desk and check it there, assuming someone is at the desk.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:12 am

AY check in desk at T5 won't open more than 4 hrs before the flight and for some airlines even 3-3.5 hrs.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Yeah, exactly, AY has limited opening time so it is not feasible option and I do not bet on interline luggage as it as OW perk is removed and I have had issues on those even within same airline.
Hene much more safer bet is to store bags somewhere.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:37 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
If AA won't check the bag through (it seems to me they would, even if you're on two reservations)...
AA will NOT check bags through on separate reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.