Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

$8.5 billion O'hare expansion? New Global Terminal?

Old Feb 25, 18, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore

The Chicago Tribune is reporting tonight that the City of Chicago and United, American and other airlines are in the process of finalizing a deal that will add 3.1 million square feet of terminal space to O'hare. As part of the revamp, in addition conversion of the existing T2 to a new 'Global Terminal", existing terminals will be renovated and expanded. Hub airlines along with their partners will relocate their international operations to the new Global Terminal (including the addition of two new 50,000 foot lounge facilities). Chicago aims to position O'hare to attract more international traffic as the first U.S. 'Global Alliance Hub.' Non-hub airlines and their international partners would relocate to a renovated Terminal 5. The funding for the expansion is to come from a bond issue backed by revenue from increased fees charged to the carriers under new O'hare lease agreements.

Chicago, airlines nearing $8.5 billion deal to dramatically expand O'Hare - Chicago Tribune

It'll be interesting to see what pieces of this get off the ground...
Old Feb 26, 18, 11:09 am

Programs: Amtrak, Marriott rewards, United, American
Also needs a high speed rail connection.

This link describes i the best plan imho.
Old Feb 26, 18, 8:09 pm
BCH

Can't wait. Hope these will be beautiful airport terminals.
Old Mar 29, 18, 10:44 am

New lease and $8.5B expansion signed yesterday.

$8.5 billion O?Hare Airport expansion project cleared for takeoff | WGN-TV
Old Mar 30, 18, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Plat
New page for the expansion:

http://www.flychicago.com/sites/ohar...s/default.aspx

Good overview video on the "About" page.
Old Jun 11, 18, 1:35 pm
BCH

Moving forward on the plan, the city launches a global design competition:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ra...ign-new-ohare/
Old Jun 13, 18, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BCH View Post
Moving forward on the plan, the city launches a global design competition:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ra...ign-new-ohare/
I saw this as well and am curious about what this "design" includes. The renderings from the city would seem to say that the general layout has been determined. Is the design phase limited to putting flesh on those bones, or is the entire scheme just a place holder and we could wind up with something very different.

I certainly hope that we wind up with something world class - the pictures I've seen of the new IST airport, for example, are smashing. But then I also wonder how realistic the budget is. I just hope we don't wind up with another turd like IAD!
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:08 pm

It's about as realistic as it gets. From conversations the high end proposed was $20B. My personal feelings it will end up around $11-12B once it's all said and done.

The $4B approved already covers Phase 1 which is a lot. Once pax numbers hit 105MM annum things change. Considering we'll be at 80MM this year, there's room to grow still over the next 10 years. Give a 3% annual increase in pax, 2028 is the year you'll look for the next big build approval.
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ords View Post
It's about as realistic as it gets. From conversations the high end proposed was $20B. My personal feelings it will end up around $11-12B once it's all said and done.

The $4B approved already covers Phase 1 which is a lot. Once pax numbers hit 105MM annum things change. Considering we'll be at 80MM this year, there's room to grow still over the next 10 years. Give a 3% annual increase in pax, 2028 is the year you'll look for the next big build approval.
What does Phase 1 encompass? Thx.
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:36 pm
BCH

5 Finalist designs for the new Global Terminal at O'Hare Airport. Photos and videos at the following link:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...117-story.html

Search this Thread