Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

RT-PCR in Chicago

RT-PCR in Chicago

Old Jan 5, 21, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Covid-19 testing available at ORD

I just saw that Covid-19 testing is available at ORD in the Bus/Shuttle Center in the main parking garage (link). The website says it is open 06:00 to 18:00, 7 days a week.

Sometime this month they plan on opening a drive-through test center in Parking Lot H.

No walk-ins, a prior appointment is required. And you need to show proof that you require testing, either because of travel or airport employment.

Test recipients will need to show proof of flying (within 72 hours before their flight or five days after) or proof of airport employment.
If this works out, I'll try it on my upcoming South Africa trip in a few months.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The PCR test is $145 and the results are to come back in 24-72 hours. 72 hours to get the result back may be too slow for a segment of international travelers.
Old Jan 5, 21, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The PCR test is $145 and the results are to come back in 24-72 hours. 72 hours to get the result back may be too slow for a segment of international travelers.
I saw that too. That is part of "If this works out ...". There seems to be a high demand load on Covid-19 testing in the Chicago area at the moment. Labs that I have found to be reliable for < 24 hour turnaround and now saying 24 - 48 hour turnaround.
Old Jan 18, 21, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Here is an update. I was searching for potential test centers for our upcoming trip to Africa in June and came across this link.

This appears to be the same location as the walk-in center mentions in the CDA's O'Hare web sire (link). If you click on the first link and select the button for scheduling an appointment for travelers, you will get the location.

I'll keep checking in on them and probably schedule the 24 hour turn around, 48 hours in advance, Just being paranoid.
Old Mar 7, 21, 9:30 pm

Programs: EK Gold
RT-PCR in Chicago

We last flew ORD-DXB in mid Aug 2020. At that time Dubai required negative RT-PCR test taken 96 hours prior to flight. Tests then were taking 3-5 days for results to be available and we had to scramble in order to get ours on time. FF to now and we will again fly ORD-DXB in early April. Except now Dubai requires negative RT-PCR taken 72 hrs prior.

Does anyone have experience/guidance about where in Chicago can we get test results within 72 hrs? Any help would be appreciated and wed like to thank you in advance
Old Mar 7, 21, 11:19 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Turnaround really shouldn't be more than 24 hours, 36 at the most, these days
Old Mar 8, 21, 8:22 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread to the Midwest forum, as similar posts are found there. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 21, 9:16 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Thank you
Old Mar 9, 21, 6:44 am
Original Poster

I know of two that will give you results in approximately 24 hours (or less). Just a warning, both are expensive.

https://www.doctorstestcenters.com/flychi

https://covidofchicago.com/

I don't know if the actual tests performed by these locations meet the requirements of the UAE government. You would need to call and make sure of that. I have a trip coming up in early June to South Africa and plan on using the location at O'Hare as they have a RT-PCR test with results in < 48 hours.
Old Apr 20, 21, 5:35 pm

I'm curious if anyone has taken advantage of the antigen test offered at the ORD testing center. The website indicates that it is the BD Veritor System which is approved by Germany and other EU countries. I'm asking as I'll be transiting via FRA next month. My destination - Croatia - only needs proof of vaccination but as of today German needs negative covid test, even for transit. I've found a spot in Chicago that can do same day PCRs but at a whopping $385. I'd prefer the $120 antigen route if accepted but, needless to say, don't want to gamble my trip on $245.
Old Apr 21, 21, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAguy1979 View Post
I'm curious if anyone has taken advantage of the antigen test offered at the ORD testing center. The website indicates that it is the BD Veritor System which is approved by Germany and other EU countries. I'm asking as I'll be transiting via FRA next month. My destination - Croatia - only needs proof of vaccination but as of today German needs negative covid test, even for transit. I've found a spot in Chicago that can do same day PCRs but at a whopping $385. I'd prefer the $120 antigen route if accepted but, needless to say, don't want to gamble my trip on $245.
If you require same day results, there are cheaper labs than $385 for results be the end of day (RT-PCR). What I can find is ARCPoint labs does same day RT-PCR testing for $300. Still no bargain, but cheaper than $385. ARCPoint will do any type of COVID-19 test you want with test locations in Libertyville, Schaumburg and Orland Park. The only issue with ARCPoint I see is they are open only M-F. So if you are flying out on a Monday or Tuesday, you might have an issue with getting the results on time.

The site at the ORD parking garage does RT-PCR testing with results < 48 hours for $145 (Same deal available at MDW). IMO it is the best deal and is open 7 days a week.

The cheapest I have found for the rapid PCR tests (like the nasal swabs done at Walgreens, CVS, etc) is $120.

There are several other places that do expedited RT-PCR testing, but most are only open M-F and all are at least $300.
Old Apr 29, 21, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
If you require same day results, there are cheaper labs than $385 for results be the end of day (RT-PCR). What I can find is ARCPoint labs does same day RT-PCR testing for $300. Still no bargain, but cheaper than $385. ARCPoint will do any type of COVID-19 test you want with test locations in Libertyville, Schaumburg and Orland Park. The only issue with ARCPoint I see is they are open only M-F. So if you are flying out on a Monday or Tuesday, you might have an issue with getting the results on time.

The site at the ORD parking garage does RT-PCR testing with results < 48 hours for $145 (Same deal available at MDW). IMO it is the best deal and is open 7 days a week.

The cheapest I have found for the rapid PCR tests (like the nasal swabs done at Walgreens, CVS, etc) is $120.

There are several other places that do expedited RT-PCR testing, but most are only open M-F and all are at least $300.
Thanks for the info. Arcpoint is great - used them last year for a flight to Croatia. The problem was that the results didn't arrive same day as expected. Luckily, at the time, LH didn't require the test for transit and results arrived in time for arrival in Croatia. As LH now requires test results at check-in, can't take the change. The antigen test offered at ORD works - in theory - but I'm hoping to hear first-hand that it worked!
Old Apr 29, 21, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAguy1979 View Post
Thanks for the info. Arcpoint is great - used them last year for a flight to Croatia. The problem was that the results didn't arrive same day as expected. Luckily, at the time, LH didn't require the test for transit and results arrived in time for arrival in Croatia. As LH now requires test results at check-in, can't take the change. The antigen test offered at ORD works - in theory - but I'm hoping to hear first-hand that it worked!
I assume it will take the full 48 hours for all these services that promise 24-48 hour service. I will be going to South Africa in early June and will get my sample taken about 56 hours prior to departure (South Africa has a 72 hour limit). So they can be a little late and I still have everything printed out prior to physically checking in at the airport.

I have been chatting with another provider (link) about their service. They do one of the accelerated RT-PCR tests and promise results in less than 1 hour for $240. According to the email thread their report says RT-PCR and does not include any verbiage for accelerated or rapid testing. It is a physician run immediate care chain and the report includes a statement signed by a physician (their service includes a short physician consultation). So it may be a good solution for destinations requiring a signed report. I want to make it clear that I have not used this provider, so YMMV.
Old Jun 6, 21, 10:00 am
Original Poster

My wife and I had 8:00 AM appointments today at the Doctor's Test Center at the ORD Bus Shuttle Center (just outside the main parking garage, next to the O'Hare Hilton). We are getting RT-PCR tests done ($145 each). Results somewhere between 24 - 48 hours.

We arrived about 10 minutes early and thee was already a line. They process appointments first and then walk ins. I strongly recommend having an appointment if at all possible.

I will update this post as we get our results.

Update #1:

Received email 27 hours after the sample was collected with results in a PDF attached to the mail message. The test was identified as "SARS-COV-2 (RT-PCR - NASAL FLUID)".

Last edited by cheltzel; Jun 7, 21 at 10:59 am Reason: add results

Search this Thread
Search Engine: