New multi-airline lounge at MCI?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New multi-airline lounge at MCI?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
According to permit data from the KCMO City website the USO is 788 square feet, it is not the new shell that was added at the end of A Concourse that is ten times that size.
Betting it’ll go in around baggage claim. I’ll see what I can find during the trial run next month.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Betting it’ll go in around baggage claim. I’ll see what I can find during the trial run next month.
That would be a safe bet as the new airport map shows the USO room by baggage services! I can't post the link to the map as I just joined Flyertalk.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
MCI shared a photo of the new terminal/garage this evening on Twitter. I notice the space we thought was going to be the AC has its lights on. If it was simply going to be shelled for the time being, I wouldn’t have expected the lights to be on. Maybe grasping at straws here, but I am hopeful we’ll see some lounge opening there in two weeks.

ETA: I’ve pasted the link below, but for some reason it doesn’t show up. It’s viewable now on Instagram and Twitter.

Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:26 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I have never seen any reliable rumor there was going to be an Admirals Club, I saw hopes and wishes, but they never appeared to be based on facts. There are 25 airports with AC locations, and none seem that similar to Kansas City, the closest in terms of traffic would be SNA, but SNA is not KC. Delta on the other hand has SC's in 35 different airports, some with similar traffic levels and demographics as KC (e.g., MKE and IND).

Early airport plans included a lounge behind the concessions in the Concourse B amenity node, then at some point it got expanded to about 11k square feet and moved to the mezzanine level and there were rumors it was two lounges, but Delta ultimately took all the space for the SkyClub (a pretty large SkyClub for an airport the size of KC).

I haven't seen any additional permits for a lounge space on the City's planning website since the initial construction. If they had someone signed on to lease the space I don't think it would still be a secret, the reality seems to be they built it so they would come, but no one has signed on to come yet.

Some concessions have been issued a Final Certificate of Occupancy, while others are still working with Temporary Certificates of Occupancy, I suspect that contractors at the airport are probably perpetually at the top of the list for inspections given the importance of this project to the City.

The SkyClub got a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy on February 3.

Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Gold
I just got back from a look around at the new airport. My business will be supplying the air filters. I spoke with the engineering company who will be operating the HVAC systems. There is an unfinished space opposite the Delta lounge in terminal B. It has air handlers set in. There is no tenant for it yet and the interior space is not finished.

The airport terminal is quite small. To walk from one end where the checkin/security is across the bridge to terminal B is maybe 3 minutes. There is a moving sidewalk. There are lots of windows, light colored wall finishes. Very little seating. It looks like any other airport. I'm not that impressed with how my tax money was spent.

I can foresee an issue at the new airport with the rest rooms: they are all gender use. People here are not going to like that. There are some family restrooms outside of the main ones though.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:22 am

While I understand that you just returned from the new airport. All restrooms are not for all genders. This has been addressed in the media multiple times and the new terminal map even indicates this is not true. There are a mix of male, female, family and all gender restrooms.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
I just got back from a look around at the new airport. My business will be supplying the air filters. I spoke with the engineering company who will be operating the HVAC systems. There is an unfinished space opposite the Delta lounge in terminal B. It has air handlers set in. There is no tenant for it yet and the interior space is not finished.
The lease approved indicated Delta was leasing approximately 11,000 square feet for a SkyClub. The building permit is for 11,202 square feet. The mezzanine level of Concourse B above the amenity node is approximately 280 feet by 40 feet based on measurements I just rechecked on Google Maps, 11,200 square feet. Delta has recently stated the new SkyClub in MCI will be 11,000 square feet. Unless all of those things are incorrect, I don't believe there is any significant unfinished space on the mezzanine level that could be a future airline lounge. I also find it difficult to believe the airport authority would have speculatively built an unfinished lounge space if one already existed.

Originally Posted by susiesan
I'm not that impressed with how my tax money was spent.
The terminal is being paid for by airlines and the people who use it through fees, it is not paid for with 'tax money'. If a new terminal wasn't built there is not $1.5 billion in 'tax money' that could be spent on schools, sewers, streets, or police instead.
sgeoxd likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bballyork
While I understand that you just returned from the new airport. All restrooms are not for all genders. This has been addressed in the media multiple times and the new terminal map even indicates this is not true. There are a mix of male, female, family and all gender restrooms.
The restroom I used was right near coming out of security and into the center of terminal A. It was marked all gender. It was huge and appeared to be the main central terminal A restroom. If someone needs to go and doesn't want to use this restroom they are not going to want to run all over finding one that is female only.

One other thing I noticed, the area for international arrivals and customs/immigration is tiny. There are only 3 desks for CBP agents to screen pax and check passports at. If a large jet with 200 passengers came in and all people were herded into this space it would be shoulder to shoulder.

It was funny watching people walking around with empty suitcases pretending they were going somewhere. None of the shops or restaurants are open yet but look like they will be ready by opening day, assuming they have the staff hired and trained.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:27 pm

They won't need to run all over to find one that is female only, the restrooms closest to the actual gates in both directions of terminal A have both men's only and women's only restrooms. There is a large video screen at the entrance of the All Gender restrooms denoting which direction to walk and how long the walk is to reach these restrooms. It should be noted that the All Gender restrooms contain a "community" hand washing area and the actual facilities themselves are self contained stalls with floor to ceiling enclosures/doors.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never seen any reliable rumor there was going to be an Admirals Club, I saw hopes and wishes, but they never appeared to be based on facts. There are 25 airports with AC locations, and none seem that similar to Kansas City, the closest in terms of traffic would be SNA, but SNA is not KC. Delta on the other hand has SC's in 35 different airports, some with similar traffic levels and demographics as KC (e.g., MKE and IND).

Early airport plans included a lounge behind the concessions in the Concourse B amenity node, then at some point it got expanded to about 11k square feet and moved to the mezzanine level and there were rumors it was two lounges, but Delta ultimately took all the space for the SkyClub (a pretty large SkyClub for an airport the size of KC).

I haven't seen any additional permits for a lounge space on the City's planning website since the initial construction. If they had someone signed on to lease the space I don't think it would still be a secret, the reality seems to be they built it so they would come, but no one has signed on to come yet.

Some concessions have been issued a Final Certificate of Occupancy, while others are still working with Temporary Certificates of Occupancy, I suspect that contractors at the airport are probably perpetually at the top of the list for inspections given the importance of this project to the City.

The SkyClub got a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy on February 3.
Agreed. I think a lot of it started around the time the City pitched BA to add service and the fact they had a shelled space (added later) by the AA gate area and on the same concourse as the FIS.

I did not get a chance to wander down there today during the event, but I will do so in two weeks when I fly the first flight out. At this point, it would be great to even have something basic, like an Escape or PP lounge. Even some sort of PP option for one of the restaurants would be great.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by bballyork
They won't need to run all over to find one that is female only, the restrooms closest to the actual gates in both directions of terminal A have both men's only and women's only restrooms. There is a large video screen at the entrance of the All Gender restrooms denoting which direction to walk and how long the walk is to reach these restrooms. It should be noted that the All Gender restrooms contain a "community" hand washing area and the actual facilities themselves are self contained stalls with floor to ceiling enclosures/doors.
I personally don't have a problem with this. I talked with my office manger about the restroom set up. She has an 11 year old daughter and said she would not allow her to go into that kind of restroom on her own if men are going to be in there. There are likely many parents of young girls who feel the same way. I frequently see women washing their faces and brushing their teeth in airport restrooms and they won't want to be doing this in front of men at the sinks.

Last edited by susiesan; Feb 15, 2023 at 9:18 am
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:35 am

I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself on Saturday morning, an online map is available, the two 'All Gender' restrooms are centrally located in each concourse with Family Restrooms, Adult Assist Restrooms, and the usual Male and Female Restrooms located throughout as well. It is quite an innovative airport design in that there appear to be much more restroom facilities inside of security instead of outside of security.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:51 am

I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself on Saturday morning, an online map is available, the two 'All Gender' restrooms are centrally located in each concourse with Family Restrooms, Adult Assist Restrooms, and the usual Male and Female Restrooms located throughout as well. It is quite an innovative airport design in that there appear to be much more restroom facilities inside of security instead of outside of security.
From what I saw yesterday the restrooms are the best part of the new airport.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:41 am

I just got home from the Open House for the new terminal. I talked to someone there and while apparently there were discussions with AA about the 8,000 square foot shell built at the north end of terminal A, nothing ever came of them and the Airport Authority has now turned the space over to the concessionaire to solicit for a third-party lounge in the space. I also confirmed there is not unfinished space in B for a lounge, Delta took the space from end to end, there is a SkyDeck at each end of the SkyClub.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you get to go inside the SC? It was taped off when I visited for the trial run on Tuesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.