FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   New multi-airline lounge at MCI? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1980614-new-multi-airline-lounge-mci.html)

alman84 Jul 29, 2019 7:59 am

New multi-airline lounge at MCI?

Landed at MCI on Saturday and saw a banner hanging near the Delta baggage claim in Terminal B advertising a new lounge to be opened - I can't remember the name (maybe Regal Lounge or something?), but the branding made it look like a multi-airline lounge. Anyone have any info?

FriendlySkies Jul 29, 2019 9:35 am

The new terminal has space which could hold a lounge, though I’ve heard no news regarding an operator. Talk of an airline or PP/CC associated lounge.

alman84 Jul 29, 2019 11:34 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 31354729)
The new terminal has space which could hold a lounge, though I’ve heard no news regarding an operator. Talk of an airline or PP/CC associated lounge.

Yeah, I'm assuming there will be a lounge at the new terminal, but that's not scheduled to open until 2023, and it feels a bit odd that they'd advertise a lounge that won't open for another four years so my assumption is that it would be in the existing terminal. I could be wrong, though.

susiesan Aug 12, 2019 2:30 pm

not likely to open on time

Originally Posted by alman84 (Post 31355275)
Yeah, I'm assuming there will be a lounge at the new terminal, but that's not scheduled to open until 2023, and it feels a bit odd that they'd advertise a lounge that won't open for another four years so my assumption is that it would be in the existing terminal. I could be wrong, though.

You are assuming the new airport will open on time. It is already a year late and double over the budget.

alman84 Aug 25, 2019 11:11 am

Updating myself, the banner I saw was an advertisement for a nearby mixed-use development that just looked a lot like an ad for a lounge. So, nevermind :p

FriendlySkies Aug 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by alman84 (Post 31455103)
Updating myself, the banner I saw was an advertisement for a nearby mixed-use development that just looked a lot like an ad for a lounge. So, nevermind :p

Bummer.. Guess we’ll just keep our fingers crossed something opens in the new terminal. When you think about it, MCI May be one of the largest airports without any sort of airline club.

Beckles Sep 30, 2021 12:36 pm

So, it appears that dedicated space for the 'premium lounge' that was mentioned years ago is dead. If you look at slides 21-23 of this 2018 presentation they show the 4,500 square foot 'business lounge' that would have been located behind concessions in Concourse B near the Connector. If you look at slide 3 of this 2020 presentation, the space is reconfigured for concessions only.

The concessions contract is now being hotly contested in the City Council and local news media. A joint venture between Paradies Lagardere and SSP released information about their proposal, it included a Plaza Premium Lounge as one of their concessions to be located in Concourse A near the Connector. The information released about the selected plan from Vantage Airport Group does not appear to include a similar offering, they have restaurants in the area that the other team is proposing a lounge in.

susiesan Sep 30, 2021 12:38 pm

Who is surprised by this? Typical corrupt KC politicians who think they know how to build an airport.

FriendlySkies Sep 30, 2021 12:54 pm

When I was at the new terminal a few weeks back, I stood in an elevated area and was told two lounges were planned. Can’t read the above docs now, so not sure if more recent than my visit.

Beckles Sep 30, 2021 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 33608924)
When I was at the new terminal a few weeks back, I stood in an elevated area and was told two lounges were planned. Can’t read the above docs now, so not sure if more recent than my visit.

Well, if I had dug more into what I posted I would have found the answer. They have moved the proposed lounge locations from being on the departures level to being on a third floor right by the Connector in B Concourse (see Slide 15 of the 2020 presentation and this picture the space is visible). Interesting that one of the concessionaires was proposing an additional lounge on top of the dedicated space.

fastflyer Sep 30, 2021 1:53 pm

The lounges (the KCDoA peeps are planning for two -- DL Skyclub and AA Admirals Club) are going to be adjacent and on the third floor of Concourse B (the "far" concourse). That is the current rumor, which could change as quickly as the proposed concessionaire dropped Chick-Fil-A.

FriendlySkies Sep 30, 2021 2:44 pm

I could definitely see a SC going in, though waffle on what the second would be. I’d love a UA lounge, but some sort of common/PP lounge would also be cool.

GUWonder Oct 1, 2021 2:17 am

Originally Posted by susiesan (Post 33608866)
Who is surprised by this? Typical corrupt KC politicians who think they know how to build an airport.

Typical airside food&beverage retail venues that are out in the open may encounter more visitors and generate more sales than a lounge. And given the airside retailers may be stuck with revenue/profit-sharing clauses in the concession agreement with the airport owner/operator, I would say that It may be more a sign of questionable shenanigans if the airport’s board were to try to side with a lower return business like a stand alone lounge than with the cluster benefits of say a small food court.

fastflyer Oct 1, 2021 11:41 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 33609221)
I could definitely see a SC going in, though waffle on what the second would be. I’d love a UA lounge, but some sort of common/PP lounge would also be cool.

The most recent Kansas City MCI lounge to close (and the lounge of longest duration) was the Admirals Club (closed in terminal C in early 2013, opened sometime in the 1980s back in the terminal A days). The rumor is that BA wants to start MCI-LHR once business travel rebounds -- it's the largest US metro by GDP without London service (or maybe second largest after Hartford, depending on how you calculate it). However, BA requires a lounge, which in its smaller US spokes is usually an AA Admirals Club. For example: Tampa, Denver, Nashville.

We will see....

FriendlySkies Oct 1, 2021 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer (Post 33611433)
The most recent Kansas City MCI lounge to close (and the lounge of longest duration) was the Admirals Club (closed in terminal C in early 2013, opened sometime in the 1980s back in the terminal A days). The rumor is that BA wants to start MCI-LHR once business travel rebounds -- it's the largest US metro by GDP without London service (or maybe second largest after Hartford, depending on how you calculate it). However, BA requires a lounge, which in its smaller US spokes is usually an AA Admirals Club. For example: Tampa, Denver, Nashville.

We will see....

Actually, the MCI AC closed at the end of July, 2012. It was a nice lounge for a city which only had two AA destinations (towards the later years). In terms of BA, I am interested to see how the new terminal helps with an intl service. We had a brief amount of time where MCI-ORD-LHR was the same AA flight # with a change of gauge at ORD and some thought it was to determine how many customers they could get to LHR each day. After losing the FI service to KEF, anything (even on another alliance) would be great to see.