New multi-airline lounge at MCI?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New multi-airline lounge at MCI?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
My money is on an Admirals Club to be announced alongside BA transatlantic service. The City Manager of KC is pushing hard for BA. Of course the answer from London could be no. But the activity on Concourse A, North (the home to AA's gates) implies something OneWorld.

Also, a new video was posted in the KC Star
https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...266067281.html
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club

I tweeted back at Justin and asked about the second lounge and he replied almost instantly: "Nothing finalized on that yet, unfortunately."

Last edited by MatthewT; Oct 7, 2022 at 5:05 pm Reason: Update
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:39 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewT
https://twitter.com/JustinMeyerKC/st...404800/photo/1

I tweeted back at Justin and asked about the second lounge and he replied almost instantly: "Nothing finalized on that yet, unfortunately."
Someone else posted on Facebook they were building it speculatively, I suppose if you build it, maybe they'll come.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
Someone else posted on Facebook they were building it speculatively, I suppose if you build it, maybe they'll come.
MCI ranks around 43rd for annual passengers in the US. Delta only has around 17 percent of traffic and American is about 18 percent YTD, While American is slightly bigger, my main takeaway is that after the SkyClub opens 83 percent of the 43rd busiest airport still doesn't have access to a lounge. It seems to me that's a prime market for a third-party independent operator. We all know you can't just decide to open a lounge in an airport and build so I have to think that if the new airport has a shell ready to go, someone will come in and take that other 83 percent of the market. Plaza Premium is ready to grow: https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/1...plaza-premium/.

According to the Points Guy in 2019, there were just 10 US airports that carried more than five million passengers and lacked a lounge. Six of those only had airlines lounges and four lacked any lounge at all, not counting USO's. Obviously, Kansas City is in that latter category. I have to think that if they build it, somebody will come. It's a ripe market.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: UA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by Beckles
It could also be AMEX affiliated, either Centurion or AMEX-partner Escape Lounge (which would be fine by me), but yeah, AA is the only realistic airline options or 3rd party of some variety.
Based on a Twitter conversation, the hints are getting stronger about it being an Escape Lounge.

Edit: Apparently links to Twitter conversations display fine in preview, but vanish in posts. Anyway, Justin Meyer replied with "Stay tuned" when someone told him how nice the one in Reno is.

Last edited by swid; Nov 16, 2022 at 11:04 am Reason: can't link to Twitter URLs
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by swid
Based on a Twitter conversation, the hints are getting stronger about it being an Escape Lounge.

Edit: Apparently links to Twitter conversations display fine in preview, but vanish in posts. Anyway, Justin Meyer replied with "Stay tuned" when someone told him how nice the one in Reno is.
That’s not Priority Pass accessible, is it?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That’s not Priority Pass accessible, is it?
It is not Priority Pass accessible. Either pay to get in or get an Amex Platinum card.

If this works, here is the original tweet to which Justin replied, "Stay tuned."

Last edited by MatthewT; Nov 16, 2022 at 12:32 pm
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Interested in being a test traveler at the new terminal before it opens? Click below to register:

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0
Old Nov 30, 2022, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FirstTjj
The link isn't working for some reason for me
Strange. I just tried it on my iPad and it opened right away.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:09 pm

I pulled a couple shots from a video they just posted, north end of Concourse A in January 2022:

North end of Concourse A in December 2022 with lounge shell added:

Based on some rough measurements on Google Maps I'd say there's about 8,000-9,000 square feet in the new shell.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having seen the inside of the shelled space, it could make for a rather roomy lounge. From folks I've spoken to at the various airlines, an AC at this point is almost certainly not going to happen. I put my $$ on an independent lounge concept and continue to hope it's one accepting PriorityPass.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From today's KC Star: https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...270866487.html

I don't remember seeing where the USO might go when I was on my last tour. Curious to see if it ends up being the original AC shell or somewhere else. I've not found anything on the KCMO building permit site (like somebody previously found for the DL SC) for the second lounge space.

Also, the airport has a new partnership with USO Missouri and is creating a lounge for active duty military members. Work on the lounge is underway.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:02 pm

I suspect the USO will be a relatively modest sized space compared to the Delta SkyClub (11,000 square feet) and the new shell built at the end of A Concourse (8,000 square feet).
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:47 am

I can't get the post to link but in 2019 BuildKCI said on Facebook that there would be a USO lounge. If that was the case three years ago that makes me think that the mysterious "second lounge" is not the USO lounge. At least I'm still holding out hope for it being something else.

Last edited by MatthewT; Jan 12, 2023 at 10:50 am Reason: Missing Link
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:45 pm

According to permit data from the KCMO City website the USO is 788 square feet, it is not the new shell that was added at the end of A Concourse that is ten times that size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.