Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
This fall SFO was reduced to one a day. Second flight will be back in April. Not sure if FLL and RSW will be back not loaded now for early November 2916.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
This fall SFO was reduced to one a day. Second flight will be back in April.
They've been doing this for the past few years.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trk1
Will see a slight increase in Cle schedules starting in May. Aircraft upgrades
on several key routes
I would venture a guess and say that some of those are very temporary due to the RNC and will end quickly.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:39 am
RNE

Originally Posted by plinth857
I would venture a guess and say that some of those are very temporary due to the RNC and will end quickly.
Just as temporary as is the Club at CLE. Not long after The Donald leaves CLE as the Republican nominee, UA will announce the Club will close, lying that it's unprofitable to keep it open.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Originally Posted by RNE
Just as temporary as is the Club at CLE. Not long after The Donald leaves CLE as the Republican nominee, UA will announce the Club will close, lying that it's unprofitable to keep it open.
Any evidence to suggest this? According to multiple Club reps, this information would be false.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:28 am

Smile club

Shifting flights to the banjo--to be near the club is the point. The
RNC is one week--will have little effect on airport operations
and traffic this summer. All events such as this (Look at past conventions and Olympics as examples) local traffic will tank and the convention will not make up for it. It will be a loss for everyone in the area except for hotels. July traffic
for 2016 will be less than 2015. The rest of the year will be up.

The club will be here for years to come. Club usage% is above the number for
our seat total % system wide. Way above such stations as San Diego, Boston,
MSP.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RNE
+1

Originally Posted by Mike2K
Any evidence to suggest this? According to multiple Club reps, this information would be false.
Business 101. If you are going to close a location and lay off people, you don't telegraph your intentions almost a year in advance.
The club will not survive into 2017.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
+1

Business 101. If you are going to close a location and lay off people, you don't telegraph your intentions almost a year in advance.
The club will not survive into 2017.
Business 101 would say not to close a club in your busiest non-hub location. With United consolidating its gates down in the banjo, and unless they are planning a massive reduction in flights, there isn't any tangible evidence to suggest the club will close.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike2K
Business 101 would say not to close a club in your busiest non-hub location.
Business 101 would also say not to close a hub that had been called very profitable by prior management.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by SFO777
Business 101 would also say not to close a hub that had been called very profitable by prior management.
But in that case most of us recognized that CLE was a hub the airline no longer benefitted from having, regardless of prior statements about profitability, while having a club there is a definite competitive advantage for the airline.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I can't imagine why people think the CLE Club will close. Currently there are Clubs at PHX, SNA, PHL, MCO, MSP, SAT and several others that see minimal United service.

Hell, they rebuilt the SAT Club when United moved to a new terminal. But all of a sudden CLE is going to be shut down?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I can't imagine why people think the CLE Club will close. Currently there are Clubs at PHX, SNA, PHL, MCO, MSP, SAT and several others that see minimal United service.

Hell, they rebuilt the SAT Club when United moved to a new terminal. But all of a sudden CLE is going to be shut down?
Bingo. We have a winner. Why would they close it? Could it get smaller? Maybe. But will it close? That makes no sense.

And, to take it a step further, if they already knew they would close it, why would they keep it open for the next 7 months just for the convention? That makes no sense. What benefit is there to United to keep something they want to close, and is supposedly losing money, open for another 7 months to benefit people for a few days? Why would they do that? The club is either making money, or it is not. The convention is irrelevant.

Last edited by DawgmanOH; Dec 6, 2015 at 12:00 am Reason: Edited for very poor spelling
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:48 am
RNE

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
...why would they keep it open for the next 7 months just for the convention? The convention is irrelevant.
Do you think I've become the most important person on FlyerTalk merely because of my good looks? Well, yes, that's part of it, but, no. I'm important because I'm an expert at pattern recognition. That's how I've made my living and how I've lived my life. Quite an adventurous one at that!—spanning two planets, three moons and one asteroid. But I digress.

Via my ability to recognize patterns, I'm able to foresee a continuation thereof, and, thus, the future itself! For over ten years, I've shared my vision with the lesser mortals on FlyerTalk. They dote on my every word. Selfless generosity, therefore, is my sole motive in predicting—sadly—the demise of the CLE Club—a frequent and favorite haunt of my own.

Nevertheless, it is what I foresee. The Club closure continues the pattern of UA's abject disdain for Cleveland. Were the Republican Convention not bringing to town Club-going congressmen and other dignitaries—all of whom are lesser beings than me, of course—the closure would happen early in 2016, instead of late.

I'd say more, but I've got to run to catch a transport to Ceres.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
The Club closure continues the pattern of UA's abject disdain for Cleveland. Were the Republican Convention not bringing to town Club-going congressmen and other dignitaries—all of whom are lesser beings than me, of course—the closure would happen early in 2016, instead of late.
This.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Air Houston
But in that case most of us recognized that CLE was a hub the airline no longer benefitted from having, regardless of prior statements about profitability, while having a club there is a definite competitive advantage for the airline.
That's what I was thinking. It doesn't matter what previous management said, the CLE hub didn't have a great fit into the new United, due in part to how the new management was running the show. However, having that club, in their largest non-hub base of operations definitely gives them an advantage. Much smaller stations have clubs, so it doesn't make sense for United to just pack up and leave. Reduce in size? Maybe. Not completely shutter.

Some on this board seem bent on believing that United has a personal vendetta against CLE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.