Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Just off my gut looking at Fairview Park relative to CLE (and its runways) except for unusual wind situations I think you'd be unlikely to get much aircraft noise since Fairview Park is north of but in the middle of the primary runways so it would have to be an odd flight path to be low enough over FP to make much noise in my experience... But if it's a significant concern you could always try visiting the neighborhood at a few different times of day -- perhaps a walk for doggo would be a good stakeout opportunity -- while you're on the east side your pup would probably appreciate Shaker Lakes if you haven't already come across that little oasis.
Thank you....I will take said Doggo for a walk. We have explored Shaker Lakes, Nature Center, Fairhill Park, Southerly Park and a bit of Chagrin Reservation...for the 2 former, I received some serious stink eye when Pumpkin was off leash, the others, not so much. I'm just spoiled because my Boston house abutted a 60 acre wooded park with morning off leash hours. Pumpkin is used to waking up and having an hour run/playtime before Momma's even had her coffee

Originally Posted by guy44134
Welcome to Cleveland! In looking at the street in Fairview Park you mentioned, it appears to be northwest of the main runways. I bet landing aircraft would not impact you there, but I'm not sure about departures from the 6's turning left. If this is really a major concern for you, I like the idea of hanging out there, walking the dog, and maybe asking some of the neighbors you might encounter if aircraft noise is a problem. When you say "the Valley and the Marina," which ones do you mean--the Rocky River?
Thank you!. I have joined a few Facebook groups to ask about the noise. Sounds like it's tolerable, but do I really want to be at the mercy for resale? Still need to figure out if it's worth it. I've been told Rocky River Reservation is called 'The Valley'. And I'm thinking I'll park my boat at (Westside) Emerald Necklace Marina or 1 of the 2 eastside yacht clubs. If I end up staying in Shaker or the Heights, I'll do the 55th street Marina or one of the 2 same Yacht Clubs.

Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
Departures are predominantly to the south. DEP 24L, ARR 24R. Runway construction has altered this over the summer. Maybe a "i'm bored and it's raining out so I'll pick a CLE-ATL or CLE-ORD flight number and watch it's flight path on flightaware over that past six months to see how much variance there is in flight plans or how often operations turn northerly" could be fun. make a drinking game out of it. I think I remember there being a lot of noise abatement data and discussion in paper/news back when they extended the one runway. Maybe some of that is still available? I used to play trivia at the BW3 in Fairview and do not recall any jet noise. But yeah, a field data collection dog walk during both landing and takeoff events is probably the best course of action. The standard approaches and departures are published for CLE, including glidepath elevation data to help you pick the best scouting location. as an example, I searched for "kcle ils rwy 24R" to get https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KCLE/IAP/ILS+RWY+24R+(SA+CAT+I)
Thank you

Originally Posted by Kagedawg
As a Fairview Park resident (Bain Park neighborhood - so actually closer to the airport then Coffinberry), I can tell you that one does hear aircraft noise but it has never bothered me or seemed like a nuisance. Now I am a heavy sleeper and am probably used to it at this point, but the only times I ever actively "notice" the noise is the occasional flight that departs northeast and immediately turns west over my house and late at night when the large cargo flights depart (I hear it if outside or lots of windows are open, but it is not window-rattling or anything like that). In the Coffinberry neighborhood, the bigger noise concern would probably be when helicopters go in and out of Fairview Hospital. Occasionally they fly over my neighborhood and one definitely notices it. However, I am not sure about the frequency of helicopter operations at the hospital. Otherwise, you are considering a great neighborhood in Fairview and an overall great location in the CLE metro area.
Thank you. I really thought Coffinberry was cute and SO close to everthing. I know it's nuts, the the rounded 'corner' trim I noticed in a lot of the houses is very art deco is like NOTHING I had ever seen before...and I'm an architecture nut. And I can get some land!!!! But I honestly wonder if the noise is any worse than the darn 'choo choos' in Western Lakewood or the street noise from Shaker's busy streets. The FB group did warn me about the helicopters tho .

Sounds like Pumpkin and I need to take some scouting trips. Thank you all for the warm welcome

The first day at his new home.
guy44134 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
We've been in the Coffinberry neighborhood for 30+ years -- I can tell you that the runway noise is minimal and I can't remember the last time I heard a helicopter going into Fairview Hospital (although to be fair we are on the western end of neighborhood near Wooster Rd.) I can also add that Fairview Park has been part of a group of CLE-bordering cities that regularly meets with airport management about airport-interface issues, including noise.

Great neighborhood, great housing stock, close to CLE, I-90, I-480, and as you mentioned above, no surcharge for proximity to the lake as in northern RR or Lakewood.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
CRJ-550

I see a CRJ-550 at CLE today operating ORD-CLE then CLE-EWR. Not seen before was not on the list CAK has them.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Oct 4, 2020 at 1:17 pm
Old Oct 4, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I see a CRJ-550 at CLE today operating ORD-CLE then CLE-EWR. Not seen before was not on the list CAK has then.
CR5s have been making (relatively) frequent appearances on CLE-ORD/ORD-CLE lately -- the 2nd morning ORD-CLE (~9:30-ish) particularly has been running them for a month or so and I know the crews have been ORD-CLE-EWR and vice versa, not sure about the actual aircraft.

If I have to go express, pre-pandemic F in a 550 is my #2 pick to F in a ERJ175. If you weren't aware the 550 is a CRJ-700 with 20 seats removed, a larger F cabin, and floor-level closets for carry on bags (one in front of F, 3 in front of Y IIRC) -- the thing that makes it appealing pre-pandemic is a "seve your self" snack/beverage section (presumably since there's only one FA) but no in-seat power in F, unlike the 175s
Old Oct 4, 2020, 1:15 pm

LAX

They keep pushing LAX nonstops out now into December.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:37 pm

MCO

Orlando nonstop back.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
They keep pushing LAX nonstops out now into December.
Also, no SFO in November, either
Old Oct 9, 2020, 8:22 am
RNE

Orlando nonstop back.
Flew that in late February. Seems like years ago now.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Do many of you drive to DTW for better access to international flights? (and no, I'm not considering Canada as international for the purposes of this thread )
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by navi_jen
Do many of you drive to DTW for better access to international flights? (and no, I'm not considering Canada as international for the purposes of this thread )
Not I. Not that I've seriously considered it but my gut tells me that the drive would take longer than the flight to and connection time in ORD/IAD/EWR with fewer productivity opportunities (I can get work done in flight or in the terminal/club while for some reason pulling out your laptop while driving the turnpike, as boring as that portion of the drive is, is frowned upon ) and greater risk of uncontrollable peril (accident, road work, snow, etc.) -- if I book a CLE-XXX-YYY ticket and the airline fails to get me to XXX in time they're responsible for getting me to YYY at no additional cost. On the other hand if I book XXX-YYY and don't make it to XXX on time it's my problem -- the airline might be nice and cut me a break, or the airline might go by the rules and charge for a walk-up fare on the next flight, etc.
guy44134 and FreqFlyerCLE like this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: UA MM
Long ago I sat next to a guy from Erie on a FRA-YYZ flight (AC in J) who drove up from Erie to Toronto. He said the J fare was less was less than half of what it was to either Erie or PIT. PIT may have had a nonstop flight from FRA on USAir, too.

Me? Never drive to DTW.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:13 am
RNE

Do many of you drive to DTW for better access to international flights?
Last year, I drove to DTW to catch LH's nonstop flight to FRA. But I'm unusually averse to domestic connections for international flights, which is why I delighted in FI's service from CLE to KEF. Alas, no more.

RNE, noting that I have eschewed CLE for the likes of PIT, CHM and even faraway ORD when it made good sense.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:07 am

Hope many of you have registered for the next CLE master plan public information night on Wednesday, October 14 at 6:00 p.m. Here is the link to register:

https://rsandh.zoom.us/webinar/regis...Tq2dMsJw4BsSug
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: UA
Here’s the Plain Dealer story on yesterday’s meeting on CLE master plan.
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...n-process.html
guy44134 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Here’s the Plain Dealer story on yesterday’s meeting on CLE master plan.
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...n-process.html
Thought it was a really good presentation and really liked the analysis of high-level pros/cons of each of the options ... not personally a huge fan of terminal family 6 (the one shown in the screenshot of Cleveland.com) but can see advantages/disadvantages for all. One option I thought was wildly out of the box and could have been very nice would have put the landside part of the terminal across 237 from the airside -- but I can't blame them for cutting that one -- the costs and infrastructure implications would have been wild, and the jigsaw puzzle of how to build that while maintaining airport ops in the terminal as they are now probably would have been nightmarish.

It was also interesting to see the options to fix/improve vehicle circulation and the acknowledgement of the disaster that is vehicle access to/wayfinding at the airport as it stands presently. What did everyone else think about the idea of relocating airport access to 71 with direct access using an "airport expressway " above Snow Road? I didn't see that one coming at all...
guy44134 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.