Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I-94 access to Mitchell Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

I-94 access to Mitchell Airport

Since there is much interest on this board about MKE, I am posting this notice regarding freeway construction, which will affect some MKE travelers:

An important message to Mitchell Memo subscribers about the I-94
exit to Milwaukee's Mitchell Airport (MKE):

As Wisconsin DOT works hard to improve the I-94 North-South
corridor, the I-94 exit to Mitchell Airport will be closed for
reconstruction through July. For your safety and convenience,
please follow the detour signs that will direct you to the
airport. Work on the I-94 North-South corridor will include
periodic scheduled overnight closures on stretches of I-94
and the Mitchell Interchange. These closures typically will
take place between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.

At http://www.flymke.com/drive we'll keep you up-to-date on
upcoming ramp and road closures that may affect your travel
to or from the airport, along with convenient detour routes.
To assure your travels are as smooth and enjoyable as possible,
we suggest that you add 10 minutes to your travel time. You
can also access airport directions and find real time traffic
reports that will ensure no unpleasant surprises on the road.

We apologize for the temporary inconvenience. Happy travels
from all of us at Milwaukee's Mitchell Airport!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Thanks for the tip. Reminds me of the old joke "there are two seasons in Wisconsin: winter and road construction."

During the short time I lived in Milwaukee, coming from downtown I usually got off I-94 at eastbound Howard Avenue, then made a right on Howell to get to the airport. Howell has pretty light traffic and it's a mile or so shorter than staying on the freeway, going around the Plainfield Curve to the Airport Spur. Even without construction this route seemed to be about the same timewise as taking the spur.

Coming from the south and west I nave never found a very good alternate route, especially with all the construction on 894 and 94.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Thanks for the tip. Reminds me of the old joke "there are two seasons in Wisconsin: winter and road construction."

During the short time I lived in Milwaukee, coming from downtown I usually got off I-94 at eastbound Howard Avenue, then made a right on Howell to get to the airport. Howell has pretty light traffic and it's a mile or so shorter than staying on the freeway, going around the Plainfield Curve to the Airport Spur. Even without construction this route seemed to be about the same timewise as taking the spur.

Coming from the south and west I nave never found a very good alternate route, especially with all the construction on 894 and 94.
Coming from the south, best alternate is to exit at College, go east on College then north on Howell.

No good alternates from the west until the Layton avenue bridge over I-94 reopens.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Coming from the south, best alternate is to exit at College, go east on College then north on Howell.

No good alternates from the west until the Layton avenue bridge over I-94 reopens.
I live on the Eastside, I always take Lake Drive, across the Hoan Bridge to 794, off at Layton and then Left on Howell. It is a great and beautiful drive early in the morning along the lake with the Sun coming up. And the time is the same. Take this route and you will never go the freeway again.
:-:
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by tvnwz
I live on the Eastside, I always take Lake Drive, across the Hoan Bridge to 794, off at Layton and then Left on Howell. It is a great and beautiful drive early in the morning along the lake with the Sun coming up. And the time is the same. Take this route and you will never go the freeway again.
:-:
+1. When I lived downtown, the Lake Parkway was by far the best route. It is also the best view when bringing visitors from the airport to downtown. It showcases the city well for first time visitors.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:44 am

Is this construction Tom Barrett's fault also? It seems Walker wants to blame all the freeway problems on Barrett.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by RSVP
Is this construction Tom Barrett's fault also? It seems Walker wants to blame all the freeway problems on Barrett.
I believe WisDOT wanted to do the Zoo Interchange before this project but because of the proposal to take private land and some cemetary land, it just irked the Milwaukee politicians at the time. So WisDOT moved on to the next big project. I would blame former Mayor Norquist more than I would Barrett. But IMHO Barrett has leadership issues too. Milwaukee is not forward thinking on future highway needs and improvements.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
In the Mitchell Field main parking structure, does anyone know how you can park in the section near the terminal?! We always seem to end up on the west side (along with everyone else) and then it's a long walk to the terminal. We always pass many empty spaces near the terminal. Maybe you have to go up to the roof and then access those levels on the way down? Sorry, I know it's off topic!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyYX
Milwaukee is not forward thinking on future highway needs and improvements.
Milwaukee is not forward looking on ANYTHING.

I ran into a Frontier cabin crew the other day that just moved here from Denver. Are they in for the shock of their lives.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wisconsin
In the Mitchell Field main parking structure, does anyone know how you can park in the section near the terminal?! We always seem to end up on the west side (along with everyone else) and then it's a long walk to the terminal. We always pass many empty spaces near the terminal. Maybe you have to go up to the roof and then access those levels on the way down? Sorry, I know it's off topic!
Best bet is to go to either floor five or six and and can park all the way up to the terminal.

This diagram should help some.

http://www.mitchellairport.com/parking/

Some of the empty spots you see are probably either for hourly parking or for the handicapped.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wisconsin
Assuming you are asking about daily parking, not hourly, park on level five or six, which has daily parking on the east side of the structure, closest to the terminal entrance. Or, I like to park on the north end of level three. Level three has the moving walkway, so even if you are parked a number of rows back, the walkway helps minimize the distance and time to reach the terminal proper. I believe that the east side of other levels are either for rental cars or hourly parking.

Last edited by mke9499; Apr 25, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.