Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Going to Israel after other Middle East Travel - Problems with Israeli Immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Israel after other Middle East Travel - Problems with Israeli Immigration?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)

Hi everyone,

while I know that a lot of Arab countries won't let you in or issue you visas if you have Israeli stamps in your passport, I was wondering how much hassle you are likely to encounter if you try it the other way around.

Since a search on this didn't turn up the information I was looking for, I thought I would open up a new post. If it turns out that I just used the wrong keywords, I apologize.

Here's the situation:

Next year, with my German passport on its last legs (8 months before expiration), I would like to travel to Israel (security situation permitting). After the trip, I would just get a new passport (which I'll need anyway), which leaves me safe for future trips to Arab/Muslim countries.

My passport includes stamps from the UAE, Egypt, Malaysia and Indonesia and will also reflect travels to Lebanon and Syria by the time the Israel trip rolls around. Beyond that's there's a bunch of stamps from non-Muslim Asian and Latin-American nations, plus the US. In all, it's pretty worn and just about full.

So here's the question: how much of an issue will Israeli authorities make of the Middle East/Muslim countries travel? Will it be a problem? What kind of questions (and how long of an interrogation) should I expect? My last US entry, with just the Egyptian and UAE stamps (plus a few Latin American ones and a few prior US entries) already got me a very dirty look and lots of questions (15 mins or so) from the guy at immigration. How does Israel view this?

Should I go through the trouble and expense to get a new, secondary passport (which is permitted for German nationals) for the trip to Israel or can I do it on my expiring passport and just get a new one when it expires next year?

Any replies would be much appreciated!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:38 pm

I don't think they'll stop you from entering unless they have a real reason to.

But you may indeed get a more lengthy questioning than usual (everyone gets questioned coming into Israel), both before you get on the plane to TLV and at immigration in TLV. As long as you answer the questions honestly and without too much hestitation, I don't think you have much to be worried about.

OTOH, if you're concerned about entering Israel with your current passport, you could wait to go to Israel until AFTER you have your new passport, then request that the Israelis not stamp your passport. I'm pretty sure that Israeli immigration will give you a piece of paper with the stamp on it that you can throw away after you leave the country (just don't lose it before you leave!), so you can travel to the anti-Israel countries afterward without getting yet another new passport.

But some of the other more frequent visitors to Israel might be able to clarify.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Well, as long as they take "that was a vacation" or "I went there for business" as adequate replies, I don't think there'll be any problem explaining any of the travel. How detailed do they get? I don't think I can recall what I did on every single trip I took to Malaysia - I think there were about 5 or 6 in all...
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by alex0683de
Well, as long as they take "that was a vacation" or "I went there for business" as adequate replies, I don't think there'll be any problem explaining any of the travel. How detailed do they get? I don't think I can recall what I did on every single trip I took to Malaysia - I think there were about 5 or 6 in all...
I think I entered Israel two or three times while I still had a Malaysian stamp in my American passport (that passport has since expired), and I don't think they ever asked me about it. Expect much more grilling about Syria and Lebanon, however.

If you say "that was a vacation," they'll likely follow up with questions about who went with you and who/what you visited. If you said "on business," they'll probably ask what kind of business you're in. They don't expect unreasonable amounts of detail or your deepest darkest secrets (as long as that secret isn't that you're a terrorist). They're just trying to figure out if you're lying or otherwise inconsistent about your answers. If you have nothing to hide and don't pose a threat to Israel, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
What airline are you going to fly?

If you fly EL AL, you're going to have a lengthy interrogation, though they will almost certainly allow you to fly as long as you don't give them a real reason for personal suspicion.

As for entry into Israel once you've flown in on another airline, I can't say, as I've never had any questions from immigration whatsoever. I'm 99% certain, however, they will stamp your entry mark/visa on a separate piece of paper so as to keep Israel from showing up in your passport.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:30 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Egypt, Malaysia and Indonesia shouldn't be a problem. Not sure about UAE.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
What airline are you going to fly?

If you fly EL AL, you're going to have a lengthy interrogation, though they will almost certainly allow you to fly as long as you don't give them a real reason for personal suspicion.

As for entry into Israel once you've flown in on another airline, I can't say, as I've never had any questions from immigration whatsoever. I'm 99% certain, however, they will stamp your entry mark/visa on a separate piece of paper so as to keep Israel from showing up in your passport.
The trip's not booked yet, but at the moment if doesn't look like it will be El Al. From what I've seen of fares to TLV, they're rarely if ever competitive in terms of price when flying from FRA or ZRH. They really seem to charge a hefty non-stop and/or "we're El Al" premium on these routes. Last I saw, Alitalia through MXP was cheapest, I'll probably end up flying them.

As for them stamping my passport or not - like I said, it will expire shortly afterwards anyway, so I'm not too fussed about that.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:50 pm
Suspended

why not ask Syria and Lebanon not to stamp your Passport
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
why not ask Syria and Lebanon not to stamp your Passport
Because I am 99+% sure they won't do it - they require visas and all sorts of other stuff. They probably don't have a system to deal with this sort of request in place either. Besides, they'll probably want to know why, and if I tell them I still want to go to Israel - well, that's probably enough for them to deny me entry.

Since they consider entering Israel a crime, announcing your intention to commit said "crime" to them doesn't seem like a particularly good idea to me...
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Because I am 99+% sure they won't do it - they require visas and all sorts of other stuff. They probably don't have a system to deal with this sort of request in place either. Besides, they'll probably want to know why, and if I tell them I still want to go to Israel - well, that's probably enough for them to deny me entry.

Since they consider entering Israel a crime, announcing your intention to commit said "crime" to them doesn't seem like a particularly good idea to me...
I'd be quite surprised if craz wasn't joking.

For what it's worth, I would travel ready to explain exactly why you were in those countries, and not assume you can get away with a basic response like "just visiting". If they do decide to ask you questions, they're going to want answers they can get really comfortable with. I, for example, know a doctor who's been to Lebanon to speak at a medical conference. I'm certain that he'd be able to explain that to their satisfaction. And for better or worse, it will almost certainly help if you have an Israeli with whom they can speak who will vouch for you.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 4:48 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC

That's correct alex0683de. Wish the situation was different. Mind you for Lebanon, you can simply get your visa at the airport, so don't bother applying for one abroad. By the way, when do you plan on visiting Lebanon? Do let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
That's correct alex0683de. Wish the situation was different. Mind you for Lebanon, you can simply get your visa at the airport, so don't bother applying for one abroad. By the way, when do you plan on visiting Lebanon? Do let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Thanks BEYFlyer, I'll get back to you on that. Right now, the plan is to go to Lebanon in late March, but it's not quite definite yet.

I knew I could get the Lebanese visa at the airport, but I think I still have to get the Syrian visa in advance, right? BTW, I plan on crossing into Syria by land, in case that makes a difference.

Last edited by alex0683de; Nov 30, 2005 at 6:36 am
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
I'd be quite surprised if craz wasn't joking.

For what it's worth, I would travel ready to explain exactly why you were in those countries, and not assume you can get away with a basic response like "just visiting". If they do decide to ask you questions, they're going to want answers they can get really comfortable with. I, for example, know a doctor who's been to Lebanon to speak at a medical conference. I'm certain that he'd be able to explain that to their satisfaction. And for better or worse, it will almost certainly help if you have an Israeli with whom they can speak who will vouch for you.
paging The DOVSTER
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:16 pm

You will certainly get a lot of questions -- but then, one often does entering Israel anyway. Speaking in Hebrew to the officials, I've been quizzed on Jewish holidays. No joke. Just keep a sense of humor about it, be very patient and you'll be fine.

I agree that you should be ready to explain what you're doing and why. You should also be prepared to show proof other than your passport that your are who you say you are -- I don't mine anything notarized, but if you say you're a businessman, they might ask to see a business card. Or whatever doctors carry if you're a doctor. If you're speaking at a conference and have a program that has your name, that'd be another useful thing to have easily at hand. Once, flying from CAI to TLV while on vacation, I was asked by the officials at the El Al gate in CAI what I did for a living. When I told her I was a journalist, she wanted to see my press card even though it was a non-biz trip. Fortunately, I had the card with me.

I definitely agree that if you know anyone in Israel, have their name and address ready. I always get asked this and they never believe me when I say I don't really keep in touch with anyone. Again -- it's not like you need a signed letter, just pull out your address book where you've written down some names and show them.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by TeaAddict
You will certainly get a lot of questions -- but then, one often does entering Israel anyway. Speaking in Hebrew to the officials, I've been quizzed on Jewish holidays. No joke. Just keep a sense of humor about it, be very patient and you'll be fine.
My better half, who is Jewish, took one of the trips to Israel that are offered to Jewish kids. The trip was in mid-January. She is a self-described bad Jew. She almost failed out of the school kids go to so they are able to be bat mitvahed. They finally, in desperation (after making her repeat a year) told her that if she learned one prayer in Hebrew that they would let her through.

Anyway, she was getting on to the El Al flight in Newark and they asked her reason for going. She told them honestly and they began to test her. The first question was, "what was the last Jewish holiday?" Again, bad Jew. She answered, Yom Kippur. After they asked her if she was sure she was Jewish, they gave her another chance. Rosh Shashana. Mmmm...no. Well, while they were yacking away in Hebrew, she finally came up with the right answer. Hanukkah!! By this point, there was some serious doubt about her Jewishness so they told her to prove she was a Jew. Now, mind you, this is at Newark airport and she doesn't have anything but her clothes and whatnot. Finally, she remembers her prayer and rattles it off. After discussing the situation for about 10 minutes, security decided it was good enough and they let her through. She said she was fortunate that they didn't ask what it meant in English because she didn't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.