Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Northern Israel destination thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northern Israel destination thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Thanks for all the recommendations - I appreciate all of them!

At this point, I'm sort of debating between Tiberias and Akko as my main base, although I'm not wedded to either. I had considered a night in each, but I thought better of that because I'd like to cut down on the schlepping from one city to another. Day trips are fine, but I'm already feeling too rushed trying to cram Jerusalem, TA, and a couple of nights up north in just a week and a half.

One thing that might weigh into my final decision - does anyone have any good food recommendations up north? I'm open to anything from hole-in-the-wall hummusiyot to more gourmet places. Eating is a big priority on this trip.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
One thing that might weigh into my final decision - does anyone have any good food recommendations up north? I'm open to anything from hole-in-the-wall hummusiyot to more gourmet places. Eating is a big priority on this trip.
Watch James Beard Award winning chef Michael Solomonov's movie In Search of Israeli Cuisine; you can stream it on Netflix. There is a partial list of places which were featured in the movie on this web page.

We sort of followed his trail when we were there a few months ago (when he happened to be back in Israel and this time, according to his Instagram postings, he ate at some places where we ate a day or two after us). He has been to several places in the north. The only one that I remember off the top of my head was Uri Buri in Akko, it was spectacular ( and not cheap). There was also a dive which he recommended in Tveria, it was closed on the day that we were planning to be in the area; sorry, I can't remember the name. OK, found it, Avigail's Kitchen
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Watch James Beard Award winning chef Michael Solomonov's movie In Search of Israeli Cuisine; you can stream it on Netflix. There is a partial list of places which were featured in the movie on this web page.

We sort of followed his trail when we were there a few months ago (when he happened to be back in Israel and this time, according to his Instagram postings, he ate at some places where we ate a day or two after us). He has been to several places in the north. The only one that I remember off the top of my head was Uri Buri n Akko, it was spectacular ( and not cheap). There was also a dive which he recommended in Tveria, it was closed on the day that we were planning to be in the area; sorry, I can't remember the name.
Excellent - thank you for that tip!! I'm actually super excited to learn about this film, as I've been doing my own personal Solomonov tour in Philly the past couple of months. Just went to Zahav early this month for the first time and am already trying to twist friends' arms to go back with me. I will definitely check this out!
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for all the recommendations - I appreciate all of them!

At this point, I'm sort of debating between Tiberias and Akko as my main base, although I'm not wedded to either. I had considered a night in each, but I thought better of that because I'd like to cut down on the schlepping from one city to another. Day trips are fine, but I'm already feeling too rushed trying to cram Jerusalem, TA, and a couple of nights up north in just a week and a half.

I'd pick Akko.

As far as food, we had a great lunch in old Akko in a divey-looking hummus place that ended up being on Somebody Feed Phil (Netflix) - we saw the episode after the visit. In Haifa, there's a nifty Georgian restaurant just down the block from the Crowne Plaza that has decent food and a great view, and is a fun meal. Culinary excellence worth a detour? No. Good food if you're staying on the hill? I've been there twice If you need a shellfish fix, there are places "down the hill" in Haifa that will hit the spot. Some even add bacon
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
... As far as food, we had a great lunch in old Akko in a divey-looking hummus place that ended up being on Somebody Feed Phil (Netflix) - we saw the episode after the visit...
I don't know if it was Hummus Said*, but we really liked that one a couple of years ago. You might have to wait for a table, especially at popular times, but it's worth it.

Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip! If I have a chance, I'll check it out. Maybe I'll be able to get there right when they open. Hummus for breakfast is an underrated joy.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks for the tip! If I have a chance, I'll check it out. Maybe I'll be able to get there right when they open. Hummus for breakfast is an underrated joy.
You'll have to wake up early. Google tells me they open at 5.

Added in edit: If you want good hummus a lot closer to home, go up the Hudson a bit to Beacon and try Ziatun at 244 Main Street. The family that runs it is from Jordan. I like it with a bit more olive oil, but they're happy to provide that.

Last edited by Efrem; Aug 24, 2019 at 8:38 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:37 pm

I think Tiberias is nice enough. We stayed there 2 nights on our 11day trip of Israel. We were there over the sabbath and in January, so it was pretty quiet. But we found a couple good places to eat. If you're interested in the Christian sights nearby, it's great, obviously. We also drove from there to Nimrod Fortress, which was really worthwhile. But I have no idea how to get there by public transport -- I expect it wouldn't be pretty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.