Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

What airports near Pocono (long pond, pa)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our anual NASCAR trip this year takes us to Pocono. Anybody have any suggestions to which airport is best to get in and out of?

Thanks,
annerj
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Plat
ABE (Allentown)

ABE is closest - but depending on where you are coming from EWR or PHL might be MUCH cheaper and worth the extra hour + drive.

Have fun!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:42 am
cpx

Programs: Many
For the frequency, I'd say EWR would be the closest large airport.
or may be LGA and JFK.

Other options: MDT - Harrisburg, PA and Allentown (ABE)
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Allentown ABE, Newark EWR and Scranton AVP are probably your best bets.

MisterNice
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We will be flying from SLC for the June race.

Thanks again

adding that I have 100,000 delta miles from a while back that I may try and use.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
It's still likely going to be a one-stop, unless you're wanting to fly into Philly.

But AVP / ABE are your two choices, and having been at both, ABE in my opinion is a far nicer airport.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:12 pm
MSP

Programs: NW Worldperks, AAdvantage, HHonors, SPG, National EC
Traveled to Pocono in June of last year, and flew into ABE. A rather funny small airport with plenty of escalators, and about an hour drive to the racetrack. NW has service from DTW if you're interested in using DL miles. I would recommend that you do-we used miles on our trip, as the prices were ridiculous.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Mid-Atlantic Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
AVP (Scranton) is the airport that gets the most use for Pocono race (including many of the private planes and the goodyear blimp). However, can I STRONGLY suggest you consider another track for your pilgrimage (and I say that as a MAJOR nascar fan) this is one of the hardest tracks to enjoy a race at. The track configuration and size are such that much of the race is in another county (literally) and you see very little of it. Pocono is pretty much my home track and I still stay home and watch the race because you see much more on tv than you ever see at that track). On the upside it is the track you are most likely to see a deer hit on however!!!!!! *smile*

Also be aware that the hotel situation at Pocono is HORRIBLE. There is one hotel near the track, most everything else is a schlep.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:53 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
It's still likely going to be a one-stop, unless you're wanting to fly into Philly.

But AVP / ABE are your two choices, and having been at both, ABE in my opinion is a far nicer airport.
When was the last time you were at AVP, they have spent a LOT of money renovating, opened a brand new terminal, with an airport club that is open to frequent fliers from any program!!!! AVP is an awesome airport now.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:29 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by Lehava
When was the last time you were at AVP, they have spent a LOT of money renovating, opened a brand new terminal, with an airport club that is open to frequent fliers from any program!!!! AVP is an awesome airport now.
It was 2003, to be honest.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lehava
AVP (Scranton) is the airport that gets the most use for Pocono race (including many of the private planes and the goodyear blimp). However, can I STRONGLY suggest you consider another track for your pilgrimage (and I say that as a MAJOR nascar fan) this is one of the hardest tracks to enjoy a race at. The track configuration and size are such that much of the race is in another county (literally) and you see very little of it. Pocono is pretty much my home track and I still stay home and watch the race because you see much more on tv than you ever see at that track). On the upside it is the track you are most likely to see a deer hit on however!!!!!! *smile*

Also be aware that the hotel situation at Pocono is HORRIBLE. There is one hotel near the track, most everything else is a schlep.
NOW YOU TELL ME!

We already have tickets. We go to 1 race a year and are tired of the standard 1.5 mile track. We did Martinsville last year.

I've booked hotels in Drums, PA. How far is that from the track? Most years we stay about 40-60 miles from the track (everything close is usually sold out or way too much $$$).

I'm just starting to look at flights. Not sure if we are paying or using points.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:40 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
It was 2003, to be honest.
It is a totally different AVP airport now...... take a look, the interior photos of the terminal alone will really shock you...we went from 1950 to 2010 REALLY fast at AVP. http://www.flyavp.com/jmm.html
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:48 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by annerj
NOW YOU TELL ME!

We already have tickets. We go to 1 race a year and are tired of the standard 1.5 mile track. We did Martinsville last year.

I've booked hotels in Drums, PA. How far is that from the track? Most years we stay about 40-60 miles from the track (everything close is usually sold out or way too much $$$).

I'm just starting to look at flights. Not sure if we are paying or using points.
You didnt ask *smile* I agree on the 1.5's but you traded for a 2.5 where the grandstands sit on one leg of a tri-oval, you see nothing with your own eyes on the other two legs (obviously they have the big screens up). Also make sure you arent sitting in the first dozen or so rows. They race right up against the wall and you can see NOTHING in those seats!

And regarding the weather, pack for EVERY season, you might see them all that weekend *smile*.

With where you are staying, AVP DEFINITELY makes more sense than ABE. Part of the issue with hotels with this race (as I usually stay that far away too) is that Long Pond is out in the woods!!!!!!! So nothing is quick or easy to get to. And all the race traffic is on country roads for a while (they are supposedly going to fix that at some point, but hard to figure out how they are going to do that). Make sure you have GOOD maps (got lost out there at night mroe than once.

I will say this, while the race can be frustrating, the hospitality of the little mom and pop bars and restaurants areound the track is amazing. It is probably one of the friendliest areas as far as welcoming the fans!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.