Philly in May

Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Philly in May

I'm fully covid-vaccinated and want to get out of town for a bit over the spring. I was thinking of taking a long weekend in Philly next month, most likely the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. Does it seem like enough things will be open to make the trip worthwhile?

Basically, I'd just like to walk around Center City and environs, enjoy the change of scenery, maybe check out a couple of museums, and eat/drink (the latter ideally outdoors). I was hoping that some locals could tell me whether that seems doable. NYC is pretty much open for business at this point, and I'm hoping that Philly will be more or less as well.

Thanks for any thoughts! And if anyone has tips on where to go, what to eat, etc., please do share!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 11:44 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
You can't go wrong with any of the outposts of the Solomonov Empire - CookNSolo Restaurants

We stopped by Merkaz last month for take-out and it was very good.
TWA884, M60_to_LGA and andrewstahl like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'm fully covid-vaccinated and want to get out of town for a bit over the spring. I was thinking of taking a long weekend in Philly next month, most likely the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. Does it seem like enough things will be open to make the trip worthwhile?

Basically, I'd just like to walk around Center City and environs, enjoy the change of scenery, maybe check out a couple of museums, and eat/drink (the latter ideally outdoors). I was hoping that some locals could tell me whether that seems doable. NYC is pretty much open for business at this point, and I'm hoping that Philly will be more or less as well.

Thanks for any thoughts! And if anyone has tips on where to go, what to eat, etc., please do share!
I dont see museums being open in a few weeks.

DC the smithsonians havent moved on reopening and likely wont until late June with low capacity admissions.

Pholadrlphia is likrly similar to DC with still lower vaccination rates given access issues to minorities.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
You can't go wrong with any of the outposts of the Solomonov Empire - CookNSolo Restaurants

We stopped by Merkaz last month for take-out and it was very good.
Wow - thank you for the link! I've been to all four places shown on the top row (Zahav was one of the best meals I've ever eaten, and I'm going to try to get a reservation again, and Dizengoff's hummus is stellar), but I've never heard of the ones on the bottom. I'll have to check them out.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374
I don’t see museums being open in a few weeks.

DC the smithsonians haven’t moved on reopening and likely won’t until late June with low capacity admissions.

Pholadrlphia is likrly similar to DC with still lower vaccination rates given access issues to minorities.
That surprises me - NY's museums have been open since I think this past June, and even during our winter surge they never closed.

EDIT: It seems most of the main Philly museums are in fact open with capacity limitations:
https://www.discoverphl.com/blog/phi...-are-now-open/
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Philadelphia can be very hot and humid, even in late May.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
That surprises me - NY's museums have been open since I think this past June, and even during our winter surge they never closed.

EDIT: It seems most of the main Philly museums are in fact open with capacity limitations:
https://www.discoverphl.com/blog/phi...-are-now-open/
thus can change at any moment such as if local vaccination rates drop and overall rate is not high.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Philadelphia can be very hot and humid, even in late May.
I live in NY, lived for years in DC, and have been in Philly many times in the heat of summer. Nothing I can't handle!
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by djp98374
I dont see museums being open in a few weeks.

DC the smithsonians havent moved on reopening and likely wont until late June with low capacity admissions.

The Phil Art Museum is open now with limited hours. https://philamuseum.org/reopening-plans/

Also recommend the Museum of the American Revolution - https://www.amrevmuseum.org/at-the-museum/visit
and National Constitution Center - https://constitutioncenter.org/safely-reopening

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.