Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dulles to LAX questions from a complete newbie

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Dulles to LAX questions from a complete newbie

Hi everyone! Hopefully I have posted this in the right location. I have never flown before, and I'm rather anxious about my first flight scheduled for next month. I'm headed out of Dulles on Friday at around 3pm to LAX. I live about 25 mins from the airport. I do know my way around Dulles a bit (having dropped people off, etc.) but probably not well enough to feel confident as a passenger.

How early would you suggest I leave home? I'm not checking bags, can check in online and am flying first class. I'm also not sure where to park. I know there are several lots - is there one that is best for a United flight, or does it make no difference?

Please forgive me total and complete ignorance on all things flying. I'm quite nervous, but I'm determined to get over this fear and just move forward. Thank you so much for any help
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

I may have posted in the wrong place...please direct me to the right forum if so...thank you
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
HI chaifly, welcome to FT!

That time of day should be easy getting to IAD. If you're returning in a couple days, I'd park in Garage #1 and walk to the terminals through the underground tunnel. Just follow the signs 25 minutes to the airport and another 15 minutes from the time you park to the TSA checkpoint. I'd leave home at 1pm. 12:30pm if you want be on the safe side.

If you're staying longer or feeling stingy, the economy lots are a short shuttle bus ride away from the terminals. Add 15 minutes to the above timing.

If you're staying in LAX for a couple weeks or more, I'd just get a taxi or Uber over to IAD.

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by iadp
HI chaifly, welcome to FT!

That time of day should be easy getting to IAD. If you're returning in a couple days, I'd park in Garage #1 and walk to the terminals through the underground tunnel. Just follow the signs 25 minutes to the airport and another 15 minutes from the time you park to the TSA checkpoint. I'd leave home at 1pm. 12:30pm if you want be on the safe side.

If you're staying longer or feeling stingy, the economy lots are a short shuttle bus ride away from the terminals. Add 15 minutes to the above timing.

If you're staying in LAX for a couple weeks or more, I'd just get a taxi or Uber over to IAD.

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!
I agree with this advice. I live in Vienna and typically leave about 30 minutes before I want to be at the airport, unless I'm departing after 3 pm, when I would leave 45 minutes or so beforehand.

I park in either of the 2 long-term garages, but admit that I travel on my employer's dime. If I was paying out of my own pocket, I might use the economy lots to save a few bucks. I like the garage that's immediately across from the main terminal, not the one that's perpendicular. But that's personal choice. I just find the underground access very easy and I almost always find parking on the same level that provides direct access to the tunnel.

I have Pre-Check, so, after getting from the garage to the main terminal, I head upstairs and to security, which has never taken me longer than 5 minutes to clear. Access to the gates is generally pretty easy, though I don't really love the shuttle access to the D gates.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for the helpful information! Sounds like using either of those garages would be a good bet. Which is the garage that is across from the main terminal? I feel a little nervous about navigating my way around once inside, but hopefully the signage will make it easy for me to find where I need to be.

Something else I wondered about...how common are flight delays (when weather isn't a factor)? Do most flights depart on time? Thanks so much for helping me out. I'm a little calmer now knowing that parking won't be a huge hassle
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by chaifly
Something else I wondered about...how common are flight delays (when weather isn't a factor)? Do most flights depart on time?
Delays are not too common at IAD as long as the weather is good. I see you are flying United -- full disclosure, UA has a slightly less enviable performance record. But since you are (apparently) not making a connection in LAX, and are riding this one flight only, there's not that much to worry about. If someone is meeting you at the other end, they can use your airline's app to track your flight and know when you're landing.

Relax -- there's nothing you can do about it anyway!

Also note that schedules are padded to allow for futzing around on the ground, so it's not uncommon to depart 30+ minutes late but still arrive on the other side of the country earlier than scheduled.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
Also note that schedules are padded to allow for futzing around on the ground, so it's not uncommon to depart 30+ minutes late but still arrive on the other side of the country earlier than scheduled.
I didn't realize this at all! Very interesting. Yes, it's a non-stop flight...I have read (too many) horror stories about United, but it was unfortunately the only option at that time of day. I'm hoping at least being in first class will make some parts of the trip a little better, but I won't be surprised or disappointed if it's not the best experience.

I'm going to attempt to stop worrying and just go about this as if I know what I'm doing. I know I must sound ridiculous to experienced flyers! Thank you so much again for all the info
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Which is the garage that is across from the main terminal?
Garage 1 is across from the main terminal. See here: http://www.mwaa.com/dulles/184.htm

You'll enter the garage 1 ticket booths from the north side via Aviation Drive. Once through the booths, you'll turn left into the garage. From here I like to drive down to the bottom level as this is where the tunnel is. Otherwise just find a spot and walk south towards the terminal which is where the elevator or ramp to the bottom level is. Keep walking south through the tunnel and follow the signs for departures. It's very easy I promise
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I know I must sound ridiculous to experienced flyers! Thank you so much again for all the info
There's not a soul on this board that didn't have their own first flight, or hasn't faced an unfamiliar airport / airline, or whatever. Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I have read (too many) horror stories about United, but it was unfortunately the only option at that time of day. I'm hoping at least being in first class will make some parts of the trip a little better, but I won't be surprised or disappointed if it's not the best experience.
I'd suggest you head over to the United forum where you can get a better sense of what to expect on your flight. There is a discussion thread on what kind of meal you can expect in first class. You can access it here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nessfirst.html
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Thank you both so much for the helpful information! Sounds like using either of those garages would be a good bet. Which is the garage that is across from the main terminal? I feel a little nervous about navigating my way around once inside, but hopefully the signage will make it easy for me to find where I need to be.

Something else I wondered about...how common are flight delays (when weather isn't a factor)? Do most flights depart on time? Thanks so much for helping me out. I'm a little calmer now knowing that parking won't be a huge hassle
I prefer Garage 1 to Garage 2, but have used both and there probably isn't a huge difference between them. I have always found a parking space on the ground level of Garage 1, so access to the underground walkway is simple. Walking from Garage 2 seems like it can be equally long if you end up parking at the farthest point from the terminal, and I recall that the short stretch from the garage to the terminal is covered, but not enclosed, so you do get exposed to the heat or cold, depending on the season.

I would say that signage is great and should give you more than adequate guidance. I do tend to find that the signage from the main terminal TO the garages is a little confusing and requires just a little more attention to detail, as the corridors to the escalators and passageways can seem a little less than obvious.

The alternative to all of that is to take the shuttle that runs to the garages. Just be sure you're on the right bus, depending on whether you use the long-term garages or the Economy parking lot.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, rittenhousesq. I just spent a good half hour perusing the discussion! I'm a vegetarian, but my flight info says no special meals are offered. It looks like there are quite a few meat dishes offered. Maybe I'll just pack ample snacks to get me through. Or maybe it's worth a try to call and request it verbally...

Having seen the map and receiving all this helpful advice, I feel much more relaxed! And even a little bit excited. Thanks again, folks. I will probably be posting up a storm once I start flying regularly!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Thanks for the link, rittenhousesq. I just spent a good half hour perusing the discussion! I'm a vegetarian, but my flight info says no special meals are offered. It looks like there are quite a few meat dishes offered. Maybe I'll just pack ample snacks to get me through. Or maybe it's worth a try to call and request it verbally...

Having seen the map and receiving all this helpful advice, I feel much more relaxed! And even a little bit excited. Thanks again, folks. I will probably be posting up a storm once I start flying regularly!
Glad to be of help. Too bad you aren't flying a couple of days later. As of Feb 1st, UA is upgrading their first class meals and a flight of that length will have three entree choices, so presumably at least one will be a vegetarian friendly option. But for a flight this Friday, there is no assurance of such a choice being available.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

I was unclear in my original post - my flight is actually in late February, so that's really exciting to hear! Good to know I may have an option after all. I just looked at the news about their meal upgrades and it looks like my timing is good from that standpoint with United, at least I'll have to report back on how the whole experience goes.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick update on my first flight! It went incredibly well - I was shocked at how easy the entire process was for me, from parking to finding my way inside to security to the part I was most worried about, flying! I almost feel like I psyched myself up for YEARS over nothing. It was 100% fine, and after a while I tuned out and forgot I was in the air. Thanks so much to everyone for your helpful tips and advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.