FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dulles to LAX questions from a complete newbie
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:23 pm
dchristiva
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by iadp
HI chaifly, welcome to FT!

That time of day should be easy getting to IAD. If you're returning in a couple days, I'd park in Garage #1 and walk to the terminals through the underground tunnel. Just follow the signs 25 minutes to the airport and another 15 minutes from the time you park to the TSA checkpoint. I'd leave home at 1pm. 12:30pm if you want be on the safe side.

If you're staying longer or feeling stingy, the economy lots are a short shuttle bus ride away from the terminals. Add 15 minutes to the above timing.

If you're staying in LAX for a couple weeks or more, I'd just get a taxi or Uber over to IAD.

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!
I agree with this advice. I live in Vienna and typically leave about 30 minutes before I want to be at the airport, unless I'm departing after 3 pm, when I would leave 45 minutes or so beforehand.

I park in either of the 2 long-term garages, but admit that I travel on my employer's dime. If I was paying out of my own pocket, I might use the economy lots to save a few bucks. I like the garage that's immediately across from the main terminal, not the one that's perpendicular. But that's personal choice. I just find the underground access very easy and I almost always find parking on the same level that provides direct access to the tunnel.

I have Pre-Check, so, after getting from the garage to the main terminal, I head upstairs and to security, which has never taken me longer than 5 minutes to clear. Access to the gates is generally pretty easy, though I don't really love the shuttle access to the D gates.