Programs: United MP
Updates? I can’t wait for it to open.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Gold
Looks like summer 2022 now:

https://www.ffxnow.com/2022/03/02/si...o-summer-2022/
DeafFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Every month, I check the status reports posted for MWAA and WMATA board meetings (yes I am fun at parties), and the number of punch-list items gets smaller and smaller. The most recent PDFs (an MWAA presentation for its March 16 meeting that followed a WMATA update posted for their March 10 meeting) show only a handful of details left, with major milestones like certificates of occupancy for the stations now done. So I would be surprised/angry not to see this officially handed over to WMATA by this time next month... which, if we assume Metro will do their own three months of testing, would then yield the segment opening sometime in July.

With all those things in mind, I will go out on a limb and offer this prediction: The opening will take place no earlier than the day after an 8:30 a.m. departure I have booked on July 15.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:17 am

Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project Pictures 04 03 2022

All of the construction has been completed. The MWAA announced substantial completion of the mainline and stations of Phase II of the Silver line on 11 04 2021. On 12 01 2021 they announced substantial completion of Dulles Yard.

WMATA has taken possession of the project after those dates and is continuing the startup process of the testing and certification of all of the systems that support the operation of the line. The signaling system was displaying lunar aspects on the signals in the interlocking as if the railroad was running normal operations. In the more then 45 years I have been following the build out of the railroad, I have never seen this done prior to two weeks before the opening date.

The issues with the warped turnout ties, station and shop precast wall panels, improperly located signal head in Dulles Yard and selected pieces of equipment in the shop have been dealt with or corrected.

There are a small number of punch list items that are still being taken care of. Some of the third rail heaters were found to be not working this past winter and are being corrected. Some of the connectors (boots) that connect the third rail cables from the conduits to the cables that connect to the third rail were improperly installed and is being corrected.

The last of the concrete flat work was completed in late March at the Herndon north entrance. Everywhere else it is done. There have been some cracks in some of the concrete flat work that has been patched a various location. I was quite surprised at the quality of concrete flat work, there was virtually no locations where access panels, manhole cover, drain line clean out plugs and valve covers were not on the same plane as the finished concrete.

All of the way finding signage in the stations presently served by the Silver line have been updated to show the six new station on phase II of the line, (most of these signs have been in place for more then a year). The signage and around the station entrances has been installed including the signs on area roads that direct passengers to the stations. The only signs that have not been installed are the bus stop signs at the bus bays that identify what bus line(s) are served by those bus bays. I think this is because some of the bus routes that will serve the stations has not been totally finalized.

As to the opening date, as I write this no set date has been announced but it has been reported that the opening will likely happen in July at the earliest. Opening delays are no longer related to the construction activities but are now related to the reduced revenue from low ridership as the result of the "pandemic" requiring a higher subsidy to operate and the lack of rolling as the result of the removal of the 7k cars from service because of the bad wheel set.

I hope to make another trip before the extension opens to take some pictures I did not take because of the lack of time I had during this trip.

On an unrelated note. I was stunned at how many new data centers are now up and running or under construction sense I last visited the area in August of 2018.

Pictures at my Flicker Photo Stream
album.

John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

Last edited by SandBoxJohn; Apr 18, 2022 at 6:02 am
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by SandBoxJohn
Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project Pictures 04 03 2022

All of the construction has been completed. The MWAA announced substantial completion of the mainline and stations of Phase II of the Silver line on 11 04 2021. On 12 01 2021 they announced substantial completion of Dulles Yard.

WMATA has taken possession of the project after those dates and is continuing the startup process of the testing and certification of all of the systems that support the operation of the line. The signaling system was displaying lunar aspects on the signals in the interlocking as if the railroad was running normal operations. In the more then 45 years I have been following the build out of the railroad, I have never seen this done prior to two weeks before the opening date.

The issues with the warped turnout ties, station and shop precast wall panels, improperly located signal head in Dulles Yard and selected pieces of equipment in the shop have been dealt with or corrected.

There are a small number of punch list items that are still being taken care of. Some of the third rail heaters were found to be not working this past winter and are being corrected. Some of the connectors (boots) that connect the third rail cables from the conduits to the cables that connect to the third rail were improperly installed and is being corrected.

The last of the concrete flat work was completed in late March at the Herndon north entrance. Everywhere else it is done. There have been some cracks in some of the concrete flat work that has been patched a various location. I was quite surprised at the quality of concrete flat work, there was virtually no locations where access panels, manhole cover, drain line clean out plugs and valve covers were not on the same plane as the finished concrete.

All of the way finding signage in the stations presently served by the Silver line have been updated to show the six new station on phase II of the line, (most of these signs have been in place for more then a year). The signage and around the station entrances has been installed including the signs on area roads that direct passengers to the stations. The only signs that have not been installed are the bus stop signs at the bus bays that identify what bus line(s) are served by those bus bays. I think this is because some of the bus routes that will serve the stations has not been totally finalized.

As to the opening date, as I write this no set date has been announced but it has been reported that the opening will likely happen in July at the earliest. Opening delays are no longer related to the construction activities but are now related to the reduced revenue from low ridership as the result of the "pandemic" requiring a higher subsidy to operate and the lack of rolling as the result of the removal of the 7k cars from service because of the bad wheel set.

I hope to make another trip before the extension opens to take some pictures I did not take because of the lack of time I had during this trip.

On an unrelated note. I was stunned at how many new data centers are now up and running or under construction sense I last visited the area in August of 2018.

Pictures at my Flicker Photo Stream DCMP 04 03 2022 album.

John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
a few months ago a senior level person who is retiring in July said it should be operational before he retires.

the revenue will come from tourists with international travel returning to Dulles.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by djp98374
the revenue will come from tourists with international travel returning to Dulles.
They are certainly hoping so even as they know, and we all know, Metro will never be as convenient (in terms of time, cost, and comfort) as a motor vehicle for getting to/from IAD except for those folks with easy access to Silver line stations. And that simply is not the main source of travelers to the airport. Had they put the station inside the main terminal (as originally proposed that calculus changes quite a bit....)
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Section 107
They are certainly hoping so even as they know, and we all know, Metro will never be as convenient (in terms of time, cost, and comfort) as a motor vehicle for getting to/from IAD except for those folks with easy access to Silver line stations. And that simply is not the main source of travelers to the airport. Had they put the station inside the main terminal (as originally proposed that calculus changes quite a bit....)
Silver elephant?

David
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
distance is no different than many other airports to area subway. It’s going to cater to tourists.

Covid changed things for work commuting that was unexpected.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:15 pm

what are the customs wait times for non US coming from EU? and what is travel like into town? uber best price?
Old May 24, 2022, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Muzzar4
what are the customs wait times for non US coming from EU? and what is travel like into town? uber best price?
can’t say what wait is for non US. Look at other airlines arrivals could give you an idea of wait times. If you have a few coming at same time you will be longer.

also I think connections and endings are different lines.

depending on when you arrive…..

the subway line is done to Dulles airport. They are currently testing. They have not announced yet when it opens. You can take the silver line into DC. It will take about 45 minutes to Roselyn transfer station.

Dulles has Washington flyer taxi as the only licensed operator for the airport to take people from there. If you use uber or Lyft you have to set up a pick up point on your own since there is not a designated pick up point. It will cost about $75.
Old May 25, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Uber, Lyft, etc pick up point is on the ground level in the area between doors 2 and 6 - see the map at this link: flydulles.com - Ground Transportation
Old May 29, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DELee
Silver elephant?

David
In the future (like 5+ years from now) when/if WMATA ever gets their myriad of problems resolved, I think the Silver Line service from IAD will be a success (maybe a even "Silver Tiger"?)

A few points:
  • the distance from the main terminal to the station is shorter than to Daily Garage 1 (about a 5 minute walk I would guess). I agree it would have been cool to enter the station within the main terminal, but this doesn't seem like a show stopper.
  • it should be very convenient for anyone living along the Dulles Toll road near a station. Some stations do not have a lot of development now, but 5+ years...? I think so. I can imagine a day when those on the Silver Line west of East Falls Church use it to IAD (domestic or international) like those of us in Alexandria/Arlington/DC use the yellow/blue lines to DCA today.
  • it should be a viable option for people in Falls Church or Arlington along the Orange line. It's 9 stops to East Falls Church and 14 to Rosslyn. Not great, but tolerable. These stations, of course, already have lots of development/people living near them.
  • I think it will be attractive to tourists, especially young people looking for the cheapest possible option to get downtown (and used to public transit), who won't mind a 1-2 hour train ride after a long transcon or international flight - if it's the cheapest (gotta love youth)...
Now if we could just get the damn thing open...
Old May 29, 2022, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyer703
In the future (like 5+ years from now) when/if WMATA ever gets their myriad of problems resolved, I think the Silver Line service from IAD will be a success (maybe a even "Silver Tiger"?)

A few points:
  • the distance from the main terminal to the station is shorter than to Daily Garage 1 (about a 5 minute walk I would guess). I agree it would have been cool to enter the station within the main terminal, but this doesn't seem like a show stopper.
  • it should be very convenient for anyone living along the Dulles Toll road near a station. Some stations do not have a lot of development now, but 5+ years...? I think so. I can imagine a day when those on the Silver Line west of East Falls Church use it to IAD (domestic or international) like those of us in Alexandria/Arlington/DC use the yellow/blue lines to DCA today.
  • it should be a viable option for people in Falls Church or Arlington along the Orange line. It's 9 stops to East Falls Church and 14 to Rosslyn. Not great, but tolerable. These stations, of course, already have lots of development/people living near them.
  • I think it will be attractive to tourists, especially young people looking for the cheapest possible option to get downtown (and used to public transit), who won't mind a 1-2 hour train ride after a long transcon or international flight - if it's the cheapest (gotta love youth)...
Now if we could just get the damn thing open...
thr issue in getting open has to do with the derailment of the 800 series trains and their shut down since October. Currently the trains are running about 20 min on most lines during weekdays.

when they open it finally the tourists will use it. Taking a taxi to the downtown core vs using metro will not be a significant difference when you factor in traffic. While Dulles access road to 66 will be faster, once on 66 there is usually heavy traffic on 66 which slows it down.

silvercand orange currently run together in Arlington…what are you getting at?

there will be very limited development along silver line when it opens.

reston town center is already pretty well developed.
innovation has a bunch of Dulles airport hoteks and restaurants and office buildings. There coukd be some development.
post Dulles airport are heavy housing areas where you coukd get some apartments/ condos. The big controlling variable is station parking.

the biggest development near a metro station is the new Potomac yards metro thst coukd open late October.

this area is currently a large retail shopping center ( target, Best Buy, staples, Barnes and noble, michaels, etc). There was a regal cinema but that git torn down. They have finishe a couple high rise buildings that are going to be part of Virginia tech campus. Next phase it starting construction of buildings near the new metro station when it opens and where the regal was.
Old May 29, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
most browsers have a spell checker. Why do your posts contain so many errors?

thr [SIC] issue in getting open has to do with the derailment of the 800 series trains and their shut down since October. Currently the trains are running about 20 min on most lines during weekdays.

when they open it finally the tourists will use it. Taking a taxi to the downtown core vs using metro will not be a significant difference when you factor in traffic. While Dulles access road to 66 will be faster, once on 66 there is usually heavy traffic on 66 which slows it down.
We know all that. But it's the 7000 series that is out of service - not 800. It's 18 stops from IAD to Metro Center. I would never take Metro on that route unless there was some major issue on the roads.

silvercand [SIC] orange currently run together in Arlington…what are you getting at?
Simply making the point that existing Orange Line customers in Arlington might use the IAD Silver Line service - that could make sense.

there will be very limited development along silver line when it opens.

reston town center is already pretty well developed.
innovation has a bunch of Dulles airport hoteks [SIC] and restaurants and office buildings. There coukd [SIC] be some development.
post Dulles airport are heavy housing areas where you coukd [SIC] get some apartments/ condos. The big controlling variable is station parking.
OK. Again, I'm thinking 5+ years out.

the biggest development near a metro station is the new Potomac yards metro thst [SIC] coukd [SIC] open late October.

this area is currently a large retail shopping center ( target, Best Buy, staples, Barnes and noble, michaels, etc). There was a regal cinema but that git [SIC] torn down. They have finishe [SIC] a couple high rise buildings that are going to be part of Virginia tech campus. Next phase it [SIC] starting construction of buildings near the new metro station when it opens and where the regal was.
I live in Alexandria and have been to this area many times and have been following the construction almost daily . The VA Tech Innovation Campus is being built on undeveloped land just north of the metro station - nothing is being torn down. But what does any of this have to do with IAD and the Silver Line extension?
Old May 30, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by flyer703

I would never take Metro on that route unless there was some major issue on the roads.

Which was practically everyday pre-pandemic. I’m looking forward to when it opens.. I will use it. I use to go from Shady Grove to Noma area. That’s a long way, with a lot of stops but it wasn’t so bad. The Silver line is longer, with more stops but I will still use it. The deciding factor will probably be if I need my car at the destination or not. That’s just me but i can’t be the only one who will do that.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.