Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

Old Oct 20, 22, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Silver, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,Sixt Platinum
To add on to DCA writer , during my recent trip with the metro in the area, the metro cars also had an updated map with Washington Dulles Airport showing as an active station. On my flight next week from IAD, if I have time, I'll make some observations if the metro opens by then but I feel that it is very likely that it would be my last ride on bus 5A.
Old Oct 22, 22, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
To add on to DCA writer , during my recent trip with the metro in the area, the metro cars also had an updated map with Washington Dulles Airport showing as an active station. On my flight next week from IAD, if I have time, I'll make some observations if the metro opens by then but I feel that it is very likely that it would be my last ride on bus 5A.
did it also have Potomac yards and white flint name change to north Bethesda?

they are supposed to update these all in one batch for cost savings.
Old Oct 22, 22, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by DCA writer View Post
SandBoxJohn, you've had some really good insights on the inner workings of Metro. Who do you think is more at fault here?

Everybody else, this writeup by WAMU's Jordan Pascale does a good job of providing context for this mess. I appreciated this context in particular:

Separately: Metro has posted sample travel times to the IAD station:
Ashburn: 10 minutes
Wiehle-Reston East: 12 minutes
Clarendon: 39 minutes
Rosslyn: 45 minutes
Metro Center: 53 minutes
Pentagon: 56 minutes
L'Enfant Plaza: 58 minutes
National Airport: 62 minutes
Mt. Vernon Square: 66 minutes

And new fare tables are starting to appear in stations. The one I saw at Clarendon today, pictured below, lists a peak fare of $6, off-peak of $3.85 (except that on weekends it's now a $2 flat fare systemwide). At peak, that's pricier than CTA to ORD but at least a third less than BART to SFO and under half the fare for NJ Transit to EWR. So I would very very much like to see this line put into revenue service already.

national airport is highly dependent on luck in transferring.

from my experirnce doing Roslyn-Wehle the time from Roslyn is what I expected.

of course thus assumes no traffic slowdowns which a train needs to hold at junction points or trains stacked under 2 min apart
Old Oct 22, 22, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Silver, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
did it also have Potomac yards and white flint name change to north Bethesda?

they are supposed to update these all in one batch for cost savings.
Yes, please find the image that I took below;

amanuensis and djp98374 like this.
Old Oct 22, 22, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Yes, please find the image that I took below;

there is also this one circulating out there

https://ggwash.org/files/baltwash2.pdf
Old Oct 27, 22, 11:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Gold, American Platinum, Wyndham Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Rumor is that the silver line to Dulles International will open on November 19th in conjuncton with the celebration of IAD's 60th anniversary on the 17th, but WMATA always opens new lines on a Saturday, so it will most likely be the 19th.
Old Oct 31, 22, 1:28 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Rumor is that the silver line to Dulles International will open on November 19th in conjuncton with the celebration of IAD's 60th anniversary on the 17th, but WMATA always opens new lines on a Saturday, so it will most likely be the 19th.
I just saw a tweet from Senator Mark Warner that said official opening day will be Novembern15th.
Old Oct 31, 22, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Tuesday, Nov. 15

Metro announced the opening date for the Silver Line to IAD today. That release doesn't say when or mention any opening formalities, so maybe the first outbound SV train will continue past Wiehle? The release also says WMATA still needs the safety commission to sign off on the whole thing but says that punch-list stuff will get done on time: "Metro continues to work on a short list of items that we are coordinating daily with the WMSC. We appreciate their collaboration and expect to finalize safety certification before we open for passenger service."

I had hoped I could be on the first westbound revenue-service train when the extension opens, but I will be out of town that week from Monday a.m. until Saturday morning--when I can take Metro home after getting off a red-eye from SFO.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 1, 22, 12:39 pm

It's happening!!!
Old Nov 3, 22, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Man, I am not looking forward to walking across the parking lot in the middle of winter though. Tack on 53 minutes to Metro Center, and another 20-25 minutes to Bethesda (for me) not counting walking time or waiting on transfers.

Well, I suppose it's still cheaper than the cab/rideshare fare. Silver Line took what, 30 years to get to Dulles? Maybe I'll see the Purple Line connect Bethesda and Tysons before I die. Well, one can hope anyway.
Old Nov 3, 22, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
At this point, I'm just glad the damn thing's actually going to happen.
Old Nov 3, 22, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
Man, I am not looking forward to walking across the parking lot in the middle of winter though. Tack on 53 minutes to Metro Center, and another 20-25 minutes to Bethesda (for me) not counting walking time or waiting on transfers.

Well, I suppose it's still cheaper than the cab/rideshare fare. Silver Line took what, 30 years to get to Dulles? Maybe I'll see the Purple Line connect Bethesda and Tysons before I die. Well, one can hope anyway.
There's a tunnel if you're coming from the terminal, no?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 3, 22, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs View Post
Well dang, today I learned! Thank you!
DeafFlyer and cmn.jcs like this.
Old Nov 3, 22, 7:46 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
Well dang, today I learned! Thank you!
its got moving sidewalks, too!
GUWonder, DeafFlyer and Polytonic like this.
Old Nov 4, 22, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
its got moving sidewalks, too!
And I've timed the walk at under five minutes. You'll probably have a longer walk to your gate.

Search this Thread