Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancun Beach Question...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Cancun Beach Question...

...my wife is French and enjoys topless sunbathing...which I don't mind either! :-)
We are planning a trip in Feb. 07 and are considering Le Meridien in Cancun...can anyone tell me how common topless sunbathing is on the main beach or at the hotel pools?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I believe that topless sunbathing is illegal in Mexico. Most likely no topless around a hotel the pool. You may get away with it on the beach but I would not count on it in Cancun. The less crowded the beach the better chance of topless sunbathing.

You might try calling or e-mailing the hotel directly and ask about the policy.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You might head south to the piece of beach more or less controlled by Club Med at Punta Nizuc (I haven't been that way in a while, but I am assuming that Club is still open,) or check if there is anything on Isla Mujeres that wold be more tolreant; topless sunbathing there might invite less hassles from both la policía and from the louts who have no clue what "sexual harassment" is. Unfortunately, sexism is quite common in Mexico yet, and "boys" who act out are less likely to be targetted by local authorites than visiting tourists foulting local mores.

By and large, Mexico is quite conservative, regardless of what you might see a tourist or two apparently getting away with in resort areas. And you wil find most Mexicans will consider topless sunbathing disrespectful and insulting to families. (Not at all my opinion, but a very common opinion in largely Roman Catholic Mexico and reflective of current mores.)

Better yet: keep it private, wait for the next trip to a more Francophile island in the Caribbean or French Polynesia. Why invite even the slightest possibility of hassles on holiday?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Cancun prohibits topless even on the beach. Further south there are some resorts with designated topless or even nude beaches, these are much more isolated than Cancun. Most are south of Playa Carmen, or around Tulum (about 80 miles south of CUN).
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Next time, visit St. Martin. You can even go bottomless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.