Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

TQO experiences?

TQO experiences?

Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
TQO experiences?

I don't see a master thread for TQO Tulum - mods, please redirect me if appropriate.

Will be flying in and out soon. Curious about arrivals and departure experience, immigration kiosks, wait times, and car rental process. Also VISITAX. Anyone have early experience? Hoping it is less crowded than CUN, but also assume it will be slower as they work out the kinks?

Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:53 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
No experience here, but this might help - https://caballerosvacations.com/trav...d-its-flights/

Published taxi zone pricing with guides.

As far as I can tell, they only have 13 gates, so it is not going to be a hard airport to navigate or get around. From Flightradar24 I am only seeing about 15 arrivals/15 departures daily so should be fairly calm.
A video showing the facilities up to the check in gates.
abaheti likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I flew into TQO with AA on the first day of international ops last month. Customs on arrival was super quick, less than 5 minutes. Can't comment on the car rentals as we booked a transfer service but I did notice a few kiosks. The ADO bus also runs to/from the bus station in downtown Tulum and is waaaay cheaper than the onsite taxi services.

On departure we arrived 2.5 hours prior to departure (also on AA) and security took less than 5 minutes. Super efficient but perhaps we were also there earlier than we needed to be. Helps that there are only 6-7 USA flights per day and they're not all bunched together. Overall it was a super convenient experience flying through TQO.
jmrp and abaheti like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
WesternCDN,

Did you happen to notice if there were ATMs at TQO ??

At CUN T3 we always use the Santander right outside of Customs; then we use the Santander by the Food Court on our departure. We're hoping there is a reputable ATM at TQO for both Arrivals & Departures.

We have flights in/out of TQO in April, August & December. I'm glad to hear things went so smoothly for you !!

Jackie
Old Apr 5, 2024, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
I flew into TQO with AA on the first day of international ops last month. Customs on arrival was super quick, less than 5 minutes. ....
On departure we arrived 2.5 hours prior to departure (also on AA) and security took less than 5 minutes. Super efficient but perhaps we were also there earlier than we needed to be.
Thank you! We've decided to skip the car, but good to know rentals are up and running. Sorry, more questions...

For arrivals, are there kiosks or staffed booths?
Duty free on arrival to pick up a bottle or two?
For exit, did they check Visitax?

Thanks again. Really helpful.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:27 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by jmrp
WesternCDN,

Did you happen to notice if there were ATMs at TQO ??

At CUN T3 we always use the Santander right outside of Customs; then we use the Santander by the Food Court on our departure. We're hoping there is a reputable ATM at TQO for both Arrivals & Departures.

We have flights in/out of TQO in April, August & December. I'm glad to hear things went so smoothly for you !!

Jackie
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention for ATMs on my way out, so can't say for sure whether there were or not.

Originally Posted by abaheti
Thank you! We've decided to skip the car, but good to know rentals are up and running. Sorry, more questions...

For arrivals, are there kiosks or staffed booths?
Duty free on arrival to pick up a bottle or two?
For exit, did they check Visitax?

Thanks again. Really helpful.
Do you mean kiosks/booths for immigration? There were staffed booths - no self service kiosks. After you go through you that and collect your bag there is an additional x-ray scan before you can exit. They were putting all bags through there on the day I flew through, but fortunately only had carry on so no line ups.

Did not notice any duty free on arrival. Overall food options pre-security and post-security were very limited, but there were a number of spots still under construction in the airport. There was duty free post-security for sure, but didn't see any after going into the arrivals hall.

Nobody asked for or mentioned Visitax - we didn't pay it.
abaheti and jmrp like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Nobody asked for or mentioned Visitax - we didn't pay it.
Thank you. All sounds like normal Mexico then, no changes, just a new, small airport, hopefully less crowded due to fewer flights and people not discovering the flights yet. :-) On Visitax, I honestly didn't even know it was a thing until reading on FT but always want to be prepared. (In the old days, leaving India, e.g., people would be surprised by a cash-only exit fee after ditching all their Rupees already. I could see a bureaucratic annoyance happening.)

I don't fly for a bit but will be sure to post here with details as this looks like the default TQO thread now. :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.