Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"CBX" Pedestrian bridge connects TIJ Int'l. Airport and Otay Mesa

"Cross Border Xpress" connects Otay Mesa and TIJ / Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport as of 9 Dec 2015
with enclosed pedestrian bridge, including U.S. Immigration and Customs facilities

Link to Cross Border Xpress website.

CBX is an enclosed pedestrian skywalk bridge exclusively for Tijuana Airport passengers who cross the U.S./Mexico border as part of their trip.
Q. What documents do I need to use the CBX pedestrian bridge?
  • Passport
  • Visa if required
  • Airline boarding pass
  • CBX ticket for bridge use
Users are required to have airline travel from (or to) TIJ (can be purchased at CBX ticket counters). Adults will be charged USD $18.00, with 20% discounts for those 65 or over and children 12 or younger; children through age 3 are free of toll charges. Tolls will be collected as of 19 December 2015. June 2016, parking is $15 a day.

The "CBX" consists of an enclosed pedestrian bridge that connects TIJ / the Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport with a facility in Otay Mesa that includes USCBP inspection area (SENTRI kiosks are available), airline ticket counters, an 850 car parking lot and access to multimodal land transport (intercity bus, taxis, Uber). A duty free shopping area and restaurant has been added.

CBX plans to add a gasoline station, shopping center and hotel some time in the future.

Link to San Diego Union-Tribune article 9 Dec 2015

NOTE:
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
7 Jan 2016: Just received a quick and courteous email from CBX in response to my question regarding whether a passport card is sufficient to cross using the bridge. She confirmed that a passport card is sufficient as they have no additional requirements beyond what is required by customs and immigration and the crossing is considered to be a land border crossing.
Q. Why would I use this and fly out of TIJ?

Particularly if you live in the San Diego area, you can save as much as 50% or more flying domestic intra-Mexico services out of TIJ.

Q. Has anyone posted about their CBX experience?

FlyerTalk Community Director SanDiego1K has shared her experience in February, 2019 crossing from Otay Mesa, CA to TIJ airport in post #93.

Q. Are there lower cost alternatives to using the CBX?

Yes, but they entail less convenient border crossings (particularly inconvenient herding your baggage through) at San Ysidro or the conventional Otay Mesa crossing and securing transport to TIJ once you've completed border formalities.

NOTE: See Walking into Tijuana? (San Ysidro crossing & new PedWest Aug 2017)

Print Wikipost

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2023, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
My friend who has NEXUS was denied access to SENTRI/GE line when crossing northbound on CBX. Was this rightly or wrongly?
Old Aug 28, 2023, 8:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
My friend who has NEXUS was denied access to SENTRI/GE line when crossing northbound on CBX. Was this rightly or wrongly?
The agent was wrong.

NEXUS includes all Global Entry benefits.

From the Official Trusted Traveler Program website:

Benefits
  • Travel by Air, Land and Sea
  • Expedited vehicle/pedestrian entrance into U.S. or Canada.
  • Expedited marine entry into U.S. from Canada.
  • Access to TSA Pre✓® expedited security lanes at airports within the U.S. and U.S territories for U.S. Citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens.
For additional information, please refer to the following thread:
HkCaGu likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
The agent was wrong.

NEXUS includes all Global Entry benefits.

From the Official Trusted Traveler Program website:

For additional information, please refer to the following thread:
I believe there's a quirk of the wording that you are missing - they do get global entry benefits when using a global entry kiosk, however the CBX does not use these and just has a special line that cuts in front of everyone else. Also, it specifically states entry from CA->US.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ams/nexus/card

Entering the United States

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks/portals for entry at participating airports.

When using the Global Entry kiosks/portals in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card, or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks/portals outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 1:00 pm

Done several drop-off and pickups but used the bridge myself recently.

We found AM Premier Class for $330 RT pp, so naturally CBX was the next step. Fair chance I may just cross the land boarder myself next time if I'm doing early AM arrival/departure, since it's pretty quick and cheaper, and just as easy if border crossing isn't any issue.

reserved parking is $35. More than SAN or LAX and especially more than surrounding parking options at those airports with shuttle included. The alternative lots near CBX I read are are very hit/miss on shuttle availability or timing if they do have. Half the parking at CBX is a relatively dark dirt lot it seems.

I couldn't bring myself to pay $35 when even the "premium" lot was unavailable weeks in advance for a Tue 3AM arrival. We got lucky for paid street parking upon arrival for $15 which is better than many reserve able paid options.

There's no "service" being provided other than a bridge so know where you are going and what you need to do, its very easy but don't plan on looking for help, like my MIL who speaks Spanish needed me to park and go in after her.

AM had a long line and sky priorty was closed. They do have kiosks to self tag your bags which is required before getting in line. Theoretically this should help most of the time. We were unlucky and spent +40 min in line due to several unprepared or other issue burdening passengers.

The lounge security access does look favorable. We passed on it since it was all very fast at 4AM after AM and airport staff was sufficient (And helpful in directing other people I saw). Lounge is table serve only and 2 staff members I saw so I wouldn't look here for a very quick bite and water (no bottles to go), we just bought water. I just wanted to refill my kids water bottle and was asked to sit and wait (10 min) with the 6 other people in the entire place. Not so bad but just heads up it's not a quick in/out like most others.

AC was lacking in the entire place. Probably 10-15 degrees warmer than outside. Both CBX and TIJ.

Personally it's not so bad that I wouldn't use it again. But if border crossing is <1hr or I find reasonable PE options out of SAN next time I'll just go another route. Because in the end it's just a bridge costing you hundreds more for a family and a lesser airport with lesser options.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by dlichterman
I believe there's a quirk of the wording that you are missing - they do get global entry benefits when using a global entry kiosk, however the CBX does not use these and just has a special line that cuts in front of everyone else. Also, it specifically states entry from CA->US.
That page is incomplete. As TWA884 said, NEXUS includes all Global Entry benefits. I personally have used it to access the SENTRI line walking from Tijuana to San Ysidro. Granted, this was at PedWest, not CBX, but it sounds like it's the same--just a special line that cuts in front.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:32 am

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Originally Posted by dlichterman
Having crossed 4 times(so far out of 6 planned) this year, I've gotten the whole system down so I can be parking or dropped off curbside, and in the VIP lounge within 30 minutes. Coming back is even less with Global Entry. What a freaking amazing thing we've got access to.

A few changes I've noticed recently - they have some machines now in the baggage drop area to pre-print your bag tags which has seemed to speed up the drop process for both Volaris and AeroMexico. The two times flying AM I was flying in Premiere and boy is that a nice change from the cattle class of Volaris, especially on the newer 737 MAX8s they have. When adding the CBX to the Aeromexico flight you'll find the QR code for the CBX in the app or you can download it to print.
are they still requiring paper fmm?
Old Nov 1, 2023, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
are they still requiring paper fmm?
Yes, this is still required. I fill mine out at home but they also have stations there at the CBX to complete the form.
BusinessElite25 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.