Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"CBX" Pedestrian bridge connects TIJ Int'l. Airport and Otay Mesa

"Cross Border Xpress" connects Otay Mesa and TIJ / Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport as of 9 Dec 2015
with enclosed pedestrian bridge, including U.S. Immigration and Customs facilities

Link to Cross Border Xpress website.

CBX is an enclosed pedestrian skywalk bridge exclusively for Tijuana Airport passengers who cross the U.S./Mexico border as part of their trip.
Q. What documents do I need to use the CBX pedestrian bridge?
  • Passport
  • Visa if required
  • Airline boarding pass
  • CBX ticket for bridge use
Users are required to have airline travel from (or to) TIJ (can be purchased at CBX ticket counters). Adults will be charged USD $18.00, with 20% discounts for those 65 or over and children 12 or younger; children through age 3 are free of toll charges. Tolls will be collected as of 19 December 2015. June 2016, parking is $15 a day.

The "CBX" consists of an enclosed pedestrian bridge that connects TIJ / the Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport with a facility in Otay Mesa that includes USCBP inspection area (SENTRI kiosks are available), airline ticket counters, an 850 car parking lot and access to multimodal land transport (intercity bus, taxis, Uber). A duty free shopping area and restaurant has been added.

CBX plans to add a gasoline station, shopping center and hotel some time in the future.

Link to San Diego Union-Tribune article 9 Dec 2015

NOTE:
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
7 Jan 2016: Just received a quick and courteous email from CBX in response to my question regarding whether a passport card is sufficient to cross using the bridge. She confirmed that a passport card is sufficient as they have no additional requirements beyond what is required by customs and immigration and the crossing is considered to be a land border crossing.
Q. Why would I use this and fly out of TIJ?

Particularly if you live in the San Diego area, you can save as much as 50% or more flying domestic intra-Mexico services out of TIJ.

Q. Has anyone posted about their CBX experience?

FlyerTalk Community Director SanDiego1K has shared her experience in February, 2019 crossing from Otay Mesa, CA to TIJ airport in post #93.

Q. Are there lower cost alternatives to using the CBX?

Yes, but they entail less convenient border crossings (particularly inconvenient herding your baggage through) at San Ysidro or the conventional Otay Mesa crossing and securing transport to TIJ once you've completed border formalities.

NOTE: See Walking into Tijuana? (San Ysidro crossing & new PedWest Aug 2017)

Print Wikipost

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:52 am
Community Director Emerita

I can now report on our actual experience. We were dropped off right outside on a quiet morning. We had carry on luggage and already had our boarding cards.
  • A helpful staff member took us to a computer that scanned our passports and spit out an immigration card.
  • We had to go to the AeroMexico counter to get a ticket for the bridge. It's a RT ticket and we have to save it for the return. i hope this gets automated in the future.
  • We then showed our documents for access to the bridge.
  • We walked across and returned to the ground level. There, we went thru immigration.
  • We then queued for customs and pressed a button. Ours was green so we were not subject to inspection.
  • I wanted to go to the Priority Pass lounge as it has its own security. Just beyond customs, turn to the right. This takes you into a long food court.
  • About half way down with minimal signage, is a corridor to the left. You can see a sign at the end for the airport lounge.
  • Take the elevator up and the lounge is just there. Enter, show your Priority Pass credentials, then step over to the security machine.
  • We were the only ones for security. It was super easy. Once thru we entered a very large lounge with a mediocre buffet, tables, comfortable chairs and wireless.
  • We will leave thru a different exit as we have already cleared security and go straight into the terminal.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you for sharing, SanDiego1K.

Further information about the TIJ Priority Pass affiliated VIP Lounge:
Attached Images  
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Booked a long weekend in LAP in early November, flying out of TIJ. I have used CBX several times, know the drill quite well, having sticker shock with the parking. Lyft from my house is $35. We both have Global Entry, will definitely use CBX for the return, wondering if there are any good alternatives from San Diego for a couple of gringos on the outbound leg.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I can now report on our actual experience. We were dropped off right outside on a quiet morning. We had carry on luggage and already had our boarding cards.
  • A helpful staff member took us to a computer that scanned our passports and spit out an immigration card.
  • We had to go to the AeroMexico counter to get a ticket for the bridge. It's a RT ticket and we have to save it for the return. i hope this gets automated in the future.
  • We then showed our documents for access to the bridge.
  • We walked across and returned to the ground level. There, we went thru immigration.
  • We then queued for customs and pressed a button. Ours was green so we were not subject to inspection.
  • I wanted to go to the Priority Pass lounge as it has its own security. Just beyond customs, turn to the right. This takes you into a long food court.
  • About half way down with minimal signage, is a corridor to the left. You can see a sign at the end for the airport lounge.
  • Take the elevator up and the lounge is just there. Enter, show your Priority Pass credentials, then step over to the security machine.
  • We were the only ones for security. It was super easy. Once thru we entered a very large lounge with a mediocre buffet, tables, comfortable chairs and wireless.
  • We will leave thru a different exit as we have already cleared security and go straight into the terminal.
I have used CBX various times and in my experience I just did a few things from home in no particular order.
  • Purchased the CBX ticket at home and had a digital copy sent my email. I would grab a screen shot of the QR code or use my second phone with the email have them scan it.
  • Filled out the online FMM and printed it out ( in color) or use the kiosk.
I used a combination of finding residential parking / Lyft to get to/from CBX or using their parking lot.

One time I did a one way return from TIJ to the USA with CBX. I purchased the ticket with their mobile website on my smartphone and returned to the USA. Took a Lyft to Santa Fe Station and used Amtrak to return to the Irvine station where my car was. On this trip I drove to the Amtrak station in Irvine, rode the Pacific Surfliner to Santa Fe and the Blue MTS Line down to the border, walked in, and then Uber'ed to TIJ. Not doing this again.

I have a trip to CUL (not a typo) tomorrow and using LAX would require a layover at GDL or MEX and another day and the start/finish times didn't appeal to me. Not something I wanted to deal with, better just to suck it up and deal with the drive and TIJ. I did use LAX to MZT a month ago however the start/finish times and cost were perfect for me.

Whether I use LAX or TIJ depends on how much time I have and/or cost.
Using CBX is the last thing I think of since I can return to the US relatively quickly.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by downinit
The parking situation at CBX is beyond horrific. The lot is way too small, so it often fills up completely. When it is full, they direct you to a very rough dirt lot...at least they tell you they will direct you. When I was there, I had to circle around three times before anyone actually directed me anywhere. They told me when I first entered to keep right and they would wave me on. I kept right and there was no one anywhere to be found to wave me anywhere. Next thing I knew, I was back outside and waiting in line to get back in. There was a train of cars behind me doing the same thing. Eventually, I just illegally parked in front of the building until I found someone that would actually help me, rather than BS me. It turns out the person directing people to the dirt lot was not actually there at all. The lot is a bit scary, especially in the dark. The shrub bushes are 6-7 feet high and there are peaks and valleys from washout that would not be kind to a low car. The only bright side is that they did not charge me anything for my 8 days, so I saved $120.
And, it's still beyond horrific, all the lots were filled up when I arrived at 6:50am, even the 2 dirt $18 lots (was $15) was closed. There was one empty lot which was closed off!!
They now have parking spaces on the streets leading into and from CBX lots for $15. It's so bad that Siempre Via Rd is basically a parking lot, I saw some cars which obviously have been there for at least a week, way past the 72 hrs that San Diego allows vehicles to be continuously parked on one spot. After doing 3 loops, I decided to go for street parking on Siempre Via and a 15 minute hike to/from CBX. Not complaining because it was free and nobody touched or ticketed my car.

There was no wait at all at CBX in either direction. I did not need to deal with the AM check-in at TIJ, but the security line was practically non-existent at 10 PM on a Friday. The only issues I had were with the absurd security at MEX. There was no line at all, but they ran my backpack through 10 times before they let me pass.
Same here. Just a trickle of people using CBX. Immigration was probably 20 min for foreigners and 0 min for citizens. Maybe 30 min for bag drop off at the airline counters. Security was 5 mins. Much better layout and better presentation of the facilities compared to the last few times I used it. I ended up in the line for "citizens" after telling the line monitor in Spanish that I was a Mexican Resident, when I'm supposed to (according the signage) use the line for "foreigners".

For now, you just use the self service kiosk, run your passport through the keyboard and use a computer so an FMM will be printed out for you. No more handwriting stuff!! CBX staff is around to assist as the needed, including refilling the printer.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Just completed first post-Covid trip to Mexico (La Paz), accessing TIJ through CBX.

Bought CBX tickets online, printed CBX QR codes and FMM at home.

Line for Mexican immigration was 20 - 30 minutes for foreigners, no wait for Mexican citizens. 2 minute wait at the US CBP known traveler line.

VIP Lounges accepting Priority Pass are open in TIJ and LAP. TIJ security has moved, no more dedicated fast track for VIP Lounge; fortunately, the new system is modern, quick (Friday morning around 9 am), so there was little need for fast track.

Even for a long weekend, parking is just not worth the hassle. Rideshare services are in the $30 - $35 range each way from central San Diego, I wouldn't risk leaving my car on the street in Otay Mesa, or in a dirty, gravel parking lot. I did notice regular patrols by market private security vehicles, question how effective they would be during actual criminal activity.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Just completed first post-Covid trip to Mexico (La Paz), accessing TIJ through CBX.

Bought CBX tickets online, printed CBX QR codes and FMM at home.

Line for Mexican immigration was 20 - 30 minutes for foreigners, no wait for Mexican citizens. 2 minute wait at the US CBP known traveler line.

VIP Lounges accepting Priority Pass are open in TIJ and LAP. TIJ security has moved, no more dedicated fast track for VIP Lounge; fortunately, the new system is modern, quick (Friday morning around 9 am), so there was little need for fast track.
Fast track security is still available at the VIP lounge. We used it on December 15th. Once you clear Mexican immigration (~1 hour at 9:30pm on a Thursday) you'll go through customs. After you've finished this you'll head to the airline counter to check your luggage in you'll take the elevator down one level. You have the option of going through the normal security screening (this area is new since the recent expansion of the CBX facilities) or you can exit the doors to the street and walk about 2 minutes to the original Tijuana Airport entrance. Find the VIP lounge sign, take escalator up, and you have the entrance with airport security. No one in line and much faster.

Lounge had no food out at around 10pm, but they were making made to order panini style sandwiches.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Hi all, searched for answers but nothing recent. When booking on AM site from TJX how strict is the departure time? When booking online it looks like I can get the cbx ticket at no extra cost but for the 6:01am departure it shows a 3:46am CBX time. would appreciate any input on this, or like if it's advisable to show up at 4:30ish or if I really need to cross right at 3:46. thanks!
RadicalDude likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
Hi all, … if I really need to cross right at 3:46. thanks!
answering my own question- it was not strict. Which is what I assumed. Crossed around 4 no problem. Interestingly premier cabin seemed to be mostly Americans going to Cancun. Overheard that their 9am flight got canceled, and they got put on the 6 with the 3:30 cross time which they didn’t want to do, so crossed last night and stayed at the hampton.
Old May 8, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
The below information most likely won't affect the crossing entitled in this thread, but I thought I would post this information that the US Embassy in Mexico just released:

"Location: Mexico, Land Border Ports of Entry

Event: Expiration of Title 42

With the expected end of the Centers for Disease Control’s temporary Title 42 public order, at 11:59 p.m. EDT on May 11, land ports of entry along the U.S.-Mexico border may experience delays and disruptions. Title 42 is the public health order that applies to migrants without proper travel documents. U.S. citizens should plan for longer-than-usual wait times, possible closures, and other potential disruptions to travel at land ports of entry.

Actions to Take:

· Monitor local media for the latest updates on traffic delays and in case of emergency call 911.

· Avoid crowds and demonstrations.

· Make sure your vehicle is in good working condition and has adequate fuel for long traffic delays.

· Travel with water, snacks, and essential medications in case of long traffic delays or an inability of medical personnel to immediately reach you in an emergency.

· Review your personal security plans and follow the instructions of local authorities."
BusinessElite25 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
answering my own question- it was not strict. Which is what I assumed. Crossed around 4 no problem. Interestingly premier cabin seemed to be mostly Americans going to Cancun. Overheard that their 9am flight got canceled, and they got put on the 6 with the 3:30 cross time which they didn’t want to do, so crossed last night and stayed at the hampton.
Also doing the AM Premier to CUN at 6AM next month.

Live about a 45m-1hr drive from CBX and really not wanting to start my day at 2AM.

Good to know they're relaxed on the cross time. I wonder what benefit those fellow passengers had crossing the border the night before, still having to go through customs/security it would seem early the next morning.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by RadicalDude
Also doing the AM Premier to CUN at 6AM next month.

Live about a 45m-1hr drive from CBX and really not wanting to start my day at 2AM.

Good to know they're relaxed on the cross time. I wonder what benefit those fellow passengers had crossing the border the night before, still having to go through customs/security it would seem early the next morning.
hi! Wrote a review about my cbx experience idk if I’m allowed to link it. I arrived at 3:50 (left at like 3:15? Living in UC)and was in the lounge by 4:30 this was on a saturday, boarding was right on time at 5:30. So if you are willing to forgo the lounge you dan probably try to get there 4-4:30ish
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Avis at CBX from Tijuana

Tomorrow we’ll be collecting a rental from the US side. We clearly need to cross the border on foot. If I’m reading correctly I can’t just get myself to TIJ airport and walk across as we don’t have a flight nor CBX tickets.

What crossing should I therefore use to walk back to the US and where should I get our Uber to drop us?

We are From the UK but myself snd wife have Global Entry but our two kids with us do not.

We don’t mind a decent walk but would like to take the shortest walking route.

Would really appreciate a bit of info.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by kingcole974
Tomorrow we’ll be collecting a rental from the US side. We clearly need to cross the border on foot. If I’m reading correctly I can’t just get myself to TIJ airport and walk across as we don’t have a flight nor CBX tickets.
Correct.

What crossing should I therefore use to walk back to the US and where should I get our Uber to drop us?
San Ysidro/PedWest.
Once you are in the United States you can rest (i.e eat, go to bathroom) at the Plaza Palmera Mall just after you clear immigration/customs and then take an then take an Uber to whoever you will pick up your rental car. The upside is that you will be waiting on an covered walkway your family isn't exposed to too much sun.

The downside is that lines can be quite long, measured in hours, because you don't have the Global Entry cards (see below). I'm not sure how long, but it's going to be a wait because you won't have the benefit of being able to use the SENTRI lanes to enter the United States.

We are From the UK but myself snd wife have Global Entry but our two kids with us do not.
Everybody in the family would have to use the regular lanes so that would mean a long wait because the children aren't with the program, but if you don't have the Global Entry card, even as a member then it wouldn't matter, since you and everybody else in your family would need to have the Global Entry cards in order to use the SENTRI lanes to expedite entry into the United States.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions
Must I obtain a Global Entry card?
No, it is not necessary to obtain a Global Entry card to continue using Global Entry an airport. A card is only required for expedited entry at the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes coming into the United States.

We don’t mind a decent walk but would like to take the shortest walking route.
San Ysidro/PedWest is the best spot to enter the United States, as you can rest a the Plaza Palmera Mall after immigration/customs.
It's just the wait in the Tijuana side you'll have to deal with.

Would really appreciate a bit of info.
Hopefully, this helps.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:38 pm

Having crossed 4 times(so far out of 6 planned) this year, I've gotten the whole system down so I can be parking or dropped off curbside, and in the VIP lounge within 30 minutes. Coming back is even less with Global Entry. What a freaking amazing thing we've got access to.

A few changes I've noticed recently - they have some machines now in the baggage drop area to pre-print your bag tags which has seemed to speed up the drop process for both Volaris and AeroMexico. The two times flying AM I was flying in Premiere and boy is that a nice change from the cattle class of Volaris, especially on the newer 737 MAX8s they have. When adding the CBX to the Aeromexico flight you'll find the QR code for the CBX in the app or you can download it to print.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.