Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico's violence not keeping tourists away

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by jcs27
I'm not questioning the fact that taking the collision and damage insurance is expensive, but the third-party liability insurance (which is the only insurance that you're legally obligated to buy) is quite affordable. Looking at recent rental statements, when renting cars in Mexico City and Cancun (from National), I was charged about $11/day. If your own car rental company is charging significantly more than this, then maybe you are getting "scammed".

You are not legally obligated to buy the insurance that is "more expensive than the actual rental". The AMEX insurance could conceivably take the place of the company's collision and damage insurance (although it could result in some major hassles when returning the car), but it will leave you on the hook for any liability you incur in a accident.
I totally agree with what you are saying, but if it means spending a night or two in jail while things get straightened out, I view the the insurance as ´stay out of trouble´ insurance rather than car insurance.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I'm not questioning the fact that taking the collision and damage insurance is expensive, but the third-party liability insurance (which is the only insurance that you're legally obligated to buy) is quite affordable. Looking at recent rental statements, when renting cars in Mexico City and Cancun (from National), I was charged about $11/day. If your own car rental company is charging significantly more than this, then maybe you are getting "scammed".

You are not legally obligated to buy the insurance that is "more expensive than the actual rental". The AMEX insurance could conceivably take the place of the company's collision and damage insurance (although it could result in some major hassles when returning the car), but it will leave you on the hook for any liability you incur in a accident.
Thanks for the insight, it's appreciated. I will look into this next time we plan a trip. I am starting to feel like I've been "lucky" for many years, but I am clearly aware that luck is not a plan

I think at this stage, having insurance certainly provides me with greater piece of mind; just looking for the right touch of meeting legal requirements in Mexico and good cost/value.

Regards
Old May 15, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Thanks for the insight, it's appreciated. I will look into this next time we plan a trip. I am starting to feel like I've been "lucky" for many years, but I am clearly aware that luck is not a plan

I think at this stage, having insurance certainly provides me with greater piece of mind; just looking for the right touch of meeting legal requirements in Mexico and good cost/value.

Regards
^
Old May 16, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Moral of the story...if you use your credit card's insurance, still accept the third-party liability coverage sold by the car rental agency.
Sorry to have sparked a debate on the liability insurance. I forgot to mention that my liability insurance was included in the core rental rate (therefore not decline-able). I believe this is typical when renting from big rental companies. I suppose super cheap rental rates would exclude liability in order to stand out... The AMEX premium coverage assumes the role of "Primary" insurer and will pay for any damages incurred ON YOUR rental vehicle (tho I'm not clear if they cover liability, if any).

AMEX is mainly to protect rental agency's claim against you for your rental car. So the bottom lines is, say yes to liability insurance only if it's not included.

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Do provide a review of Mayakoba! We will be there for two weeks in July.
Trying not to go OT too much, I'll provide a quick review. If I have time, I'll write up a full review in the appropriate thread.

We stayed at Banyan Tree Mayakoba in a Courtyard Pool Villa. All Villas have a private pool, the differences are living room, extra bedrooms, multi-floor configurations. The Villa is extremely private, there plenty of vegetation to keep other villas having a direct view of you. You could have gone commando and felt comfortable doing so. The villas are set far back from the ocean (except for a few 2/3 bd units), and typically require a relaxing boat or golf car ride or 15 min walk if you prefer, to get to the beach. Service is top notch. Regarding tipping, on resort restaurants always have 15% service charge added, so I only tipped when I felt like it and only to make up the 5% to bring it to 20%. I did not tip golf cart/boat service/valet most of the time. I personally feel that this is just part of the hotel service that we paid for. Other reviewers says food is not up to par, but we thought they were pretty good (or we were really hungry!). In-resort restaurants were expensive, that's why we went into town so much. I highly recommend going to the beach club and getting a beach bed then have lunch on the bed gazing at the ocean.

One more tip, driving from Mayakoba to Playa del Carmen is short, but traffic can be heavy at times because the highway bypass is under construction. Tho, they may be completed by the time you arrive.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2011, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Agreed -- there is no particular danger of violence in the Cancun area. There have been drug-related deaths, but they seem to be limited to targeted executions of particular individuals, as opposed to the indiscriminate violence seen elsewhere.

Outside of the Yucatan, I consider some areas in Central Mexico to be safe for tourists, but not all. Unfortunately, I would no longer feel comfortable visiting most of the rest of Mexico, as too much violence has been occurring in most of the country...
Targeted.. still.. makes it a bit uncomfortable.

This is not entirely true. It may be factually correct, but I can say, unequivocally, that I've been going to Cabo San Lucas semi-frequently for the better part of 20 years and I can say that I have firmly, but politely declined all additional insurance each and ever time. I have NEVER accepted the insurance and I have always left with the car.

I've listened to them proclaim to me that I'm required to buy the insurance, and then they always allow me to drive away with it when they realize I'm not going to.

Now, two important points before this starts a debate:

1) I'm not questioning what you assert is the "law" in Mexico. There are many laws in Mexico, and many unenforced. I'm just saying that practically speaking, what your asserting isn't necessarily always the practice.

2) I'm also not asserting my practice is a good one. In fact, as I get a bit older and more conservative, I'm starting to rethink this practice and may in fact begin to take the insurance.

My frustration with this practice in Mexico is it just feels like such a total and complete scam. I have no problem with the concept of paying for insurance, but often, taking all the insurance is more expensive than the actual rental, which just seems crazy. An "add on" should be some fractional percentage of the base rental rate IMHO (and not 100%!)

Regards
Conservative is good.. Personally I'm loaded up with two credit cards of insurance and two rental vehicle insurances from the two vehicles we normally drive at home. So lots of liability, collision, etc.

Originally Posted by itsme110
From someone who lives in Mexico to someone who has been coming here for 20 years (albeit Cabo, which is more American than Mexican, lol), you should know that the most important question with regards to your post should be...........´yes, but have you ever had an accident with a rental car and no local insurance´. If you have been coming here for twenty years, you should know that there are many things that are a little scamy in Mexico....by everyone. Look at the post a few earlier from Ancien Maestro discussing the scamming of time share presentations. The river runs both ways. When the Mexicans do it, it is called scamming, but when the Canadians do it, it is called taking advantage of a program that is offered to them.
I don´t rent cars often in the States. I am there every month, but generally use cab, subway, or LRT depending where I am. But when I do rent cars, because I live outside of the States, and have different credit cards and insurance, I am compelled to buy their insurance. I therefore also have to pay almost as much for the insurance as for the car.
When I am travelling, I find it often times easier to pay a little more to avoid having to spend a day or even a couple of hours of my business/vacation time trying to iron out a problem that could have been avoided by just throwing a little extra cash at it on the front end. Just my opinion.
Even though I've got lots of insurance, I'm to be sure to buy something local as well if we rent.

Regards
Glad we had a nice discussion

We can all learn from each other.^
Old May 16, 2011, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ark1214
Sorry to have sparked a debate on the liability insurance. I forgot to mention that my liability insurance was included in the core rental rate (therefore not decline-able). I believe this is typical when renting from big rental companies. I suppose super cheap rental rates would exclude liability in order to stand out... The AMEX premium coverage assumes the role of "Primary" insurer and will pay for any damages incurred ON YOUR rental vehicle (tho I'm not clear if they cover liability, if any).

AMEX is mainly to protect rental agency's claim against you for your rental car. So the bottom lines is, say yes to liability insurance only if it's not included.

Trying not to go OT too much, I'll provide a quick review. If I have time, I'll write up a full review in the appropriate thread.

We stayed at Banyan Tree Mayakoba in a Courtyard Pool Villa. All Villas have a private pool, the differences are living room, extra bedrooms, multi-floor configurations. The Villa is extremely private, there plenty of vegetation to keep other villas having a direct view of you. You could have gone commando and felt comfortable doing so. The villas are set far back from the ocean (except for a few 2/3 bd units), and typically require a relaxing boat or golf car ride or 15 min walk if you prefer, to get to the beach. Service is top notch. Regarding tipping, on resort restaurants always have 15% service charge added, so I only tipped when I felt like it and only to make up the 5% to bring it to 20%. I did not tip golf cart/boat service/valet most of the time. I personally feel that this is just part of the hotel service that we paid for. Other reviewers says food is not up to par, but we thought they were pretty good (or we were really hungry!). In-resort restaurants were expensive, that's why we went into town so much. I highly recommend going to the beach club and getting a beach bed then have lunch on the bed gazing at the ocean.

One more tip, driving from Mayakoba to Playa del Carmen is short, but traffic can be heavy at times because the highway bypass is under construction. Tho, they may be completed by the time you arrive.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Cheers.
We are heading up to the Fairmont Mayakoba..

So we've upgraded no charge to a One Bedroom Signature Casita Suite that includes two bathrooms, living room, bed room, and two patios.. as a result of my wife and I being Fairmont President's Club Platinum members..

Seeing that there is alot of discussion on violence.. and after speaking with my wife about it..

We have decided not to rent a vehicle and go with a time share scam. As soon as I get off the plane we will sign up for Moon Palace time share presentation and cash in on the tours offered, free meal, free facial massage, etc. From our experience, we do a 90 minute presentation, but we get tour the resort.. and then we end up getting choices of three tours. Once they even dropped us off in Cancun for shopping.

Instead of being target practice for the drug cartels, we'll just get bussed around when we exit.. and stay on the resort for eats, except for a few times where we'll visit the neighboring hotels.. plus a couple rounds of golf.

The result saving $700 in tours, and another $700 for a minivan rental.. That's what I call a vacation.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.