Mexico's violence not keeping tourists away

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Mexico's violence not keeping tourists away

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.47662b3.html

In a surprising turnabout, international tourism to Mexico showed a sharp increase this summer – a sign that tourists may be putting aside worries about the economy and fears of drug-related violence, analysts say.

Foreign visitors arriving by air to Mexico jumped to 7.1 million in the first eight months of the year – up nearly 20 percent from the same period in 2009 – with most visitors coming from the U.S. and Canada, Mexican tourism officials say.

The biggest rise came in July, when tourist numbers grew 27.5 percent over the same month last year.

The increase came despite a rash of drug-related violence and kidnappings, primarily along the border, and the August bankruptcy of Mexicana Airlines, the nation's largest air carrier.

The growth in tourism has been focused primarily in Mexican beach resort towns that have not experienced much of the violence.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
The statistics are probably distorted. The drop in tourism last year in Mexico was immense, because of H1N1, and some other issues. A better comparison in numbers might be 2010 to 2008.

Every article I recall read citing tourism industry folks talks about declines in hotel occupancy, the closure of businesses in certain areas, etc. But maybe I'm not getting the 'whole picture.'

The violence problems in certain parts of Mexico aren't really well-covered in the USA and it wouldn't surprise me if most tourists were unaware of its extent. This is a big story in Mexico but not as big internationally - unless you look for it.

Where the tourists are arriving might tell something important as well. Are they headed for AI secured compounds near Puerto Vallarta and the Cancun region - or are big increases being suggested for Acapulco, Oaxaca, Veracruz, etc.

Last edited by gomexico; Oct 11, 2010 at 3:34 pm Reason: Corrected a couple of typos
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by gomexico
The statistics are probably distorted. The drop in tourism last year in Mexico was immense, because of H1N1, and some other issues. A better comparison in numbers might be 2010 to 2008.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...08-levels.html

Mexico Tourism Minister Gloria Guevara said the country expects to have 22.6 million foreign tourists this year, matching the industry’s 2008 numbers before swine flu hurt activity last year.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:29 am

Thanks for the added reference. The "increase," then, isn't so surprising to me. The public has moved-on from the H1N1 scare. Knowing where the increases are being reported still will be helpful when trying to understand the numbers. Thanks, again.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:27 pm

Where in Mexico is safe

I am thinking about going to Mexico this winter, would like to stay at a place as safe as possible. We are thinking about Cancun as it's somewhat fortified? But we don't like the things to do there. Is the whole Yucatan area pretty safe?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:53 pm

The Yucatan, including Cancun, is considered to be relatively trouble-free, as far as drug cartel violence goes. It's an interesting and historic part of Mexico with lots to see and do, particularly if you enjoy visiting Mayan pyramids and archaeological sites. If the trip you've asked about was mine, given what I know about the country ... I wouldn't hesitate to visit that part of Mexico.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:31 am
In memoriam

Even the Mexican born I know in the US are not going to Mexico.

Just too dangerous as someone just told me about a trip home to her native village in central Mexico.

If the natives ain't goin, I'm not either.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: US C.P.
I´m a gringo living in pvr. I find it very safe. We own a home here, and have more security around our house than we would in the U.S. but have had no problems with break-ins. There is theft here, but the thieves (as everywhere) look for the easy break-in and pass up the more difficult.
There is drug and alcohol related crime here, as there is in all cities of the the United States and Canada. I don´t stagger down the Malecon at 3:30 in the morning looking to buy drugs, so I don´t get involved with that particular element of society. Those that behave like that are asking for problems, as they would be in any other city.
There is crime here, but every time I hear about an American or Canadian being hurt, it is usually late at night, and there is generally alcohol or drugs involved
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Even the Mexican born I know in the US are not going to Mexico.
Our Mexican family members and friends have heightened concerns about traveling home but still go. However the biggest change is that those who used to drive or take the bus (i.e. Northern California to Jalisco or Michoacan) are choosing to fly instead.

The previous poster points out that the US and Canada have crime problems too. Of course they do. The big difference today is that the Norteamericano criminals don't have a track record of decapitations, wholesale slaughters at quinceñera and graduation parties, bus hijackings, torture, kidnapping, etc. Northern Mexico has essentially been ceded to the cartels - they own and control it. Why would you even WANT to be a Mexican police officer or city/town politician these days?

Mexican officials can't even go into Falcon Lake on their northern border with the USA without risking their own lives to search for the body of the Texan that was recently shot there. Just the other day a Mexican police chief investigating the murder was kidnapped and decapitated; his head delivered in a suitcase to the local Mexican Army post.

My optimism for the future of Mexico is weakening; the Calderón administration's "surge" isn't working and the situation in Mexico continues to deteriorate. Mexicans are scared, frustrated and angry - at least the ones we know.

The good news for tourists is that most of the problems continue to exclude places on the Mexican coasts and interior that are frequented by tourists.

(Edited to correct name of Pres - I was just talking to somebody about Cardenas and typed it in without looking!)

Last edited by El Cochinito; Oct 14, 2010 at 10:49 am
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
the Cardenas administration
Lazaro was president in the 30's, and it was not a good time for US and British interests.

My optimism for the future of Mexico is weakening; the Cardenas administration's "surge" isn't working and the situation in Mexico continues to deteriorate. Mexicans are scared, frustrated and angry - at least the ones we know.
I'm not quite as pessimistic, but I do agree that the road is very rough ahead. The government should give up on the areas controlled by the cartels, only ensure that the violence doesn't spill over into the still manageable parts of the country, and leave the problem to the people causing it in the first place: the insatiable US drug consumers.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Our Mexican family members and friends have heightened concerns about traveling home but still go. However the biggest change is that those who used to drive or take the bus (i.e. Northern California to Jalisco or Michoacan) are choosing to fly instead.

The previous poster points out that the US and Canada have crime problems too. Of course they do. The big difference today is that the Norteamericano criminals don't have a track record of decapitations, wholesale slaughters at quinceñera and graduation parties, bus hijackings, torture, kidnapping, etc. Northern Mexico has essentially been ceded to the cartels - they own and control it. Why would you even WANT to be a Mexican police officer or city/town politician these days?

Mexican officials can't even go into Falcon Lake on their northern border with the USA without risking their own lives to search for the body of the Texan that was recently shot there. Just the other day a Mexican police chief investigating the murder was kidnapped and decapitated; his head delivered in a suitcase to the local Mexican Army post.

My optimism for the future of Mexico is weakening; the Calderón administration's "surge" isn't working and the situation in Mexico continues to deteriorate. Mexicans are scared, frustrated and angry - at least the ones we know.

The good news for tourists is that most of the problems continue to exclude places on the Mexican coasts and interior that are frequented by tourists.

(Edited to correct name of Pres - I was just talking to somebody about Cardenas and typed it in without looking!)
We don´t disagree. I would not drive through Northen Mexico on a bet. day or night. The north might as well be an entirely different country.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I was just talking to a Mexican friend in Morelos and he tells me people are not going out much at night there for fear of the violence. He now only hangs out at the homes of friends and family. Very sad situation. I loved living in Morelos!
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
My Parents, Sister, and I are booked into Westin PVR
Christmas week, and we all have flights booked.

I am thinking, however, instead of flying,
to drive to PVR from AUS via Torreon, Durango, and Mazatlan,
return via Guadalajara and Zacatecas....

I have done two extended self-drive trips, Yucutan and Oaxaca,
years ago. The Durango route has always interested me,
but maybe it just isn't the time for such things any longer.

I feel it would probably be okay, driving the cuota from dawn
till mid-afternoon, but not everyone agrees, many say it is foolish.

Anybody done such a trip recently ??
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
As a 30 year annual visitor to Cancun it is frustrating to see the toll violence is taking in Mexico. The people of Mexico are beautiful, genuine and caring and I hate for them to be subjected to the violence even in Cancun. After we were there in June this year, a story came out where one of the nightclubs locals frequent was firebombed by one of the drug cartels because the owner refused to pay $40,000 cash in protection. Seven people were killed, all staff of the club I believe.

I will not continue to go to Cancun if all I can do is stay in the resort. If I cannot go out to the local food shops and flea markets, take drives to Playa and Aventura, then we will not go.

Very sad indeed...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
My Parents, Sister, and I are booked into Westin PVR
Christmas week, and we all have flights booked.

I am thinking, however, instead of flying,
to drive to PVR from AUS via Torreon, Durango, and Mazatlan,
return via Guadalajara and Zacatecas....

I have done two extended self-drive trips, Yucutan and Oaxaca,
years ago. The Durango route has always interested me,
but maybe it just isn't the time for such things any longer.

I feel it would probably be okay, driving the cuota from dawn
till mid-afternoon, but not everyone agrees, many say it is foolish.

Anybody done such a trip recently ??
I would personally not feel comfortable driving with foreign license plates in northern Mexico right now, especially in the states of Sinaloa, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas. I'm sure somebody will point out that they drive all the time to Mexico without a problem and I won't disagree with them. But with the current instability in this part of Mexico if you have the option to fly over northern Mexico, I'd do so.

Besides Mexico has some of the most expensive highway tolls around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.