Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Chiang Rai, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Having visited this excellent property recently, I will point out that the staff does organize daily activities. The day we arrived, they were teaching Arching lessons (free). Other days, they were organizing local mountain biking rides.
So, they do offer some activities, even if not tennis courts of golf courses.
Old May 29, 2009, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i was there and i'd call it a resort, my issues with the property notwithstanding. i go to a resort to relax...and that was available in spades. it's lovely, it's peaceful. it's too damn hot for tennis. (yes, i know there are months it would make sense. it's a joke.)

they did offer yoga classes, among others, although not at a time that made sense to me--which i mentioned to the gm and i'm willing to bet they've been moved earlier.
Old May 30, 2009, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
plenty of activities, plenty of good food, a lovely pool with good pool service, chairs to relax by the river, cooking classes, they'll organize tours for you, beautiful grounds...

the facilities and offerings may not suit everyone, if a resort for you means a tennis court or golf course then this isn't the property for you. but it is an absolutely lovely resort based on my own criteria.

Anyone trying to figure out whether it's the property for them can have a quick look at my trip report and I think there's enough there for someone to decide for themselves.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:53 am
Suspended

I am sure the next american poster would say he didnt fly half way round the world to play tennis in Chiang Rai

Since I live in SE Asia (thai food is almost part of my staple diet) and I travel to Thailand frequently: cooking classes, yoga, trekking or other cultural based activities would be more suited to the "pure" tourist. I was hoping this could be a resort that I could escape to "regularly" during the winter months, but it appears to be geared more towards those looking for a cultural experience.

The lack of tennis court is almost unbelievable for a resort of this nature in Thailand; even city hotels like the Royal Orchid Sheraton and the Conrad Bangkok have this facility. Based on the pictures I have seen, I am sure they could have easily incorporated a tennis court in the resort, but they chose to omit the facility. I really have no idea what the planners had in mind for this place, bus loads of overnight tourists coming for cooking classes ???

Edit : I noticed no one commented about the spa which is supposed to be a facility there.

Last edited by mario33; May 30, 2009 at 9:02 am
Old May 30, 2009, 9:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
There seems to be a large building for conferences. This is likely also to be a big part of the attraction.
Old May 30, 2009, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by mario33
Edit : I noticed no one commented about the spa which is supposed to be a facility there.
Did you read my trip report?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:19 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Dear members,

I have just contacted the GM for the resort and was informed that though there is no tennis court in the premises, if members would like to gain access to one, they can approach the property for assistance.

Hope this helps.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Grand Deluxe Rooms and Suite Renovation finished?

I am going to Chiang Rai on October 1. Just wonder whether the renovation will be done on time or not.

Here is what's listed as Special Conditions on spg.com:

Special Conditions
Ongoing Renovations Until September 30, 2009
From October 29, 2008 to September 30, 2009, 31 Grande Deluxe Rooms and 1 Grande Suite at the resort are under renovation. They are expected to be available on October 1, 2009. Please contact the resort for further information and updates.

I did a rate search couple weeks ago. The suite and grand deluxe rooms were available from October 1. But when I did another search today, the rates for grand deluxe rooms and suite are gone. I looked all the way to March 2010. No luck, only rates for stardard rooms. This makes wonder maybe it's because the renovations are delayed again.

Anyone has an update on the status of the renovation? Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

e-mail the hotel to ask, but i would assume that the rooms are not completed yet, i would have been surprised if they did the work as there haven't been the guests at the property to justify it (and i vaguely recall someone mentioning november back before i was there in april)

no worries though -- i thought this would be a big deal, it was not (at all). i was more than happy with a riverview room, it was large (> 50m2) and stylish. and the resort was wonderful.

do hope you'll report back after your trip!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 4:08 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by TravellerOnline
I am going to Chiang Rai on October 1. Just wonder whether the renovation will be done on time or not.
Hi TravellerOnline,

I understand from the property that the tentative completion date for the Grand Deluxe rooms is before 1st November.

The property is trying the best to complete the works on time and they appreciate the understanding from their guests.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:44 am

Once the Grand Deluxe rooms are completed, are Platinums are supposed to be upgraded to these rooms?

Do you guys think it makes sense to stay 2 nights at LM Chiang Mai and spend the next 2 at LM Chiang Rai or should we stay put in one location?

We went to Chiang Mai 2 years ago and stayed at MO and did not really get to experience the town.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grand Deluxe rooms were intended to be what Platinums would receive.

Personally I so fell in love with Chiang Rai that I would reocmmend 4 nights there. I know that others feel like it's just a base for a day tour, but to me 2 nights doesn't give you the chance to experience the place.

Now, reports are positive on both properties. Treatment will be good in both places. I think you really ought to spend more than 4 days total between the two
Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Once the Grand Deluxe rooms are completed, are Platinums are supposed to be upgraded to these rooms?
Do you guys think it makes sense to stay 2 nights at LM Chiang Mai and spend the next 2 at LM Chiang Rai or should we stay put in one location?
We went to Chiang Mai 2 years ago and stayed at MO and did not really get to experience the town.
Being a city-boy, I much prefer being in Chiang Mai and staying in LMCM. Location very convenient. Transportation around town very easy to find. Shops/restuarants/markets all around.

Seems to me, not much to do in Chiang Rai exact eat and sleep.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Has anyone stayed in a Grand Deluxe room yet? (are they finished?)

Currently scheduled to stay here for a couple nights towards the end of November, and should be Platinum by that time!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good question, I don't think they are finished or at least they weren't projected to have been finished yet, so I doubt anyone has stayed in them.

If you are a Platinum and they're finished you'll no doubt receive an upgrade into them.

But if they aren't finished you'll still receive a lovely room. I was genuinely nervous/displeased when I learned before my stay that these rooms weren't ready. I thought it might color my entire stay, and questioned whether I really wanted 5 nights there without an upgrade to a larger room.

Well the Grand Deluxe rooms weren't ready, but I had a lovely room on the top floor in the main building looking straight out over the pool area towards the river. It was large, stylish, and comfortable. And I was utterly pleased.

And as a Platinum you receive complimentary breakfast. It's my favorite breakfast in all of Starwood -- the service is outstanding, the coffee was very good, the buffet had a large variety and switched up its prepared to order foods daily. But what set it apart was that staff would bring around various dishes that weren't on the buffet for you to try throughout your time in the restaurant.

And more generally the food on-property (I didn't try Favola, the Italian restaurant, and had no interest in doing so -- other than that the pool menu is from that restaurant and certainly fine). The main restaurant which also provides room service, and is where the buffet is housed, was really excellent. Very good Lanna-style Thai food as well. Good selection of choices, very high quality, not a lowest common denominator approach to food so prevalent at resorts. Food here is sort of the anti-LM Khao Lak

Enjoy your stay and please report back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.