Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Instant Awards
Print Wikipost

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:25 pm

Location: San Francisco, Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong, Shenzhen.
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, UA GS
Smile LRM Special Upgrade on 10th and 25th stays

Just thought I would let people know that LRM did a really nice job upgrading me to the Residence Suite for my 10th and 25th stays. Also added a comp bottle of Jacob's Creek Red wine.

These Residence suite rooms are on the corner and are amazingly huge with separate living room and bedroom, hardwood floor, dining area and wet bar. Also has, views of both the Bund and People's square on either side of the living room. Had a nice birthday party with over 20 people and it was quite comfortable.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:29 am

Thanks for the info focus - sounds like they took care of you really well!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
in the lounge at the lrm now...a few days before we arrived, i looked at the spg website and it showed an upgrade to a jr suite. ^ when we checked in and asked what platinum upgrade they'd found for us, the guy said the hotel was full and they had upgraded us to a deluxe room.

i asked again, this time telling him i'd seen online that we had been upgraded to a jr suite. he again said the hotel was full, but...magically, 'found' an available jr suite, only it was smoking and on a low (33rd) floor, and of course not a bund view room.

i can't help but wonder if this had something to do with the first night being a fwn night. subsequent two nights are c+p. i've had really good luck with platinum upgrades in asia, so now i'm to the point i'm a bit suspicious when told one isn't forthcoming.

regardless, the jr suite is perfectly fine and smells NOTHING like smoke. my hunch is i could have pushed for a different jr suite on a higher floor, but i'm tired of all the negotiating. as mentioned before, the view of the people's square is nice until you see the bund view. it's a bit annoying to have go down to the lobby and change elevators to get up to the lounge on 44, but the lounge is lovely as described. i'm looking forward to breakfast downstairs, which is a platinum benefit, according to the hotel.

as previously mentioned, lounge staff don't seem particularly warm or attentive. i realize this is china, but it's our fifth hotel this trip (third spg) and it's the least friendly group. as expected, however, they have good english skills, if that's important to you. (as those who know me can attest, i prefer to practice my mandarin.)

the lobby floor was a ZOO when we arrived around 1.30p, i'm not sure if that's normal or not. we appeared to have walked off the elevator in to the middle of the buffet, it was a bit frenetic. not sure if that's just the deal or if it's a special sunday thing.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by karenkay
in the lounge at the lrm now...a few days before we arrived, i looked at the spg website and it showed an upgrade to a jr suite. ^ when we checked in and asked what platinum upgrade they'd found for us, the guy said the hotel was full and they had upgraded us to a deluxe room.

i asked again, this time telling him i'd seen online that we had been upgraded to a jr suite. he again said the hotel was full, but...magically, 'found' an available jr suite, only it was smoking and on a low (33rd) floor, and of course not a bund view room.

i can't help but wonder if this had something to do with the first night being a fwn night. subsequent two nights are c+p. i've had really good luck with platinum upgrades in asia, so now i'm to the point i'm a bit suspicious when told one isn't forthcoming.

regardless, the jr suite is perfectly fine and smells NOTHING like smoke. my hunch is i could have pushed for a different jr suite on a higher floor, but i'm tired of all the negotiating. as mentioned before, the view of the people's square is nice until you see the bund view. it's a bit annoying to have go down to the lobby and change elevators to get up to the lounge on 44, but the lounge is lovely as described. i'm looking forward to breakfast downstairs, which is a platinum benefit, according to the hotel.

as previously mentioned, lounge staff don't seem particularly warm or attentive. i realize this is china, but it's our fifth hotel this trip (third spg) and it's the least friendly group. as expected, however, they have good english skills, if that's important to you. (as those who know me can attest, i prefer to practice my mandarin.)

the lobby floor was a ZOO when we arrived around 1.30p, i'm not sure if that's normal or not. we appeared to have walked off the elevator in to the middle of the buffet, it was a bit frenetic. not sure if that's just the deal or if it's a special sunday thing.
The LRM brunches are popular with locals and expats as well as hotel guests.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist

as mentioned before, the view of the people's square is nice until you see the bund view. it's a bit annoying to have go down to the lobby and change elevators to get up to the lounge on 44, but the lounge is lovely as described. i'm looking forward to breakfast downstairs, which is a platinum benefit, according to the hotel.
I have never been in a Bund view room in 4 stays at this hotel. However, I've always been upgraded to a suite, twice to a junior suite and twice to a 2-room suite after I specifically requested. After my first stay at lower level (lower than 40th floor), I then asked for a higher level room so that I wouldn't have to change elevators.

LRM remains my favorite *wood hotel in Shanghai.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just want to add that i ran into the gm in the elevator--he introduced himself--and he told me that you can also transfer on 40, (and 41, 42 and 43) so you don't have to go all the way down to the lobby and then back up. would have been nice if they'd have mentioned that at check-in, but i'm happy to know it now. i found him quite charming, and ran into him two times that day and saw him several times during the stay in the lounge and elsewhere. he's clearly a hands on guy, and is very visible. ^

one little niggle--the room contained no note, no welcome fruit, snacks, anything. (i was offered and took points as a platinum amenity). i'm kind of starting to expect little treats in the room when i arrive. was their omission an anomaly?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
just want to add that i ran into the gm in the elevator--he introduced himself--and he told me that you can also transfer on 40, (and 41, 42 and 43) so you don't have to go all the way down to the lobby and then back up. would have been nice if they'd have mentioned that at check-in, but i'm happy to know it now. i found him quite charming, and ran into him two times that day and saw him several times during the stay in the lounge and elsewhere. he's clearly a hands on guy, and is very visible. ^

one little niggle--the room contained no note, no welcome fruit, snacks, anything. (i was offered and took points as a platinum amenity). i'm kind of starting to expect little treats in the room when i arrive. was their omission an anomaly?
Am in the hotel lounge right now, and I have run into the GM already twice today...this AM at breakfast and just now in the lounge, surveying the food offerings and introducing himself around. Yes, I'd say he's very hands on...not sue about special platinum amenities, except the points....there were some brownies in the room. Lots of free bottled water, too. At the ST. Regis Beijing, I was welcomed by the butler and offered a local gift of a St. Regis coffee mug...may have space to carry it home...or it may become casualty, but it was a nice gesture.

Last edited by nologic; Sep 22, 2009 at 5:10 am
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:46 am

As a Platinum member at this hotel, I have always received a small box of brownies, a nice fruit plate and a welcome letter.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not sure if it's 'cause i asked at the desk about an amenity or because i was typing the above comment and told the gm i was posting nice things about him on ft, but i did receive the aforementioned fruit and (yummy!!) brownies, along with a lovely cut fruit plate and some savory muffins and olive oils on the last night of our stay. no note, but i was pretty sure it was to welcome me to the hotel.

upon checkout, i was asked if the belated amenity had arrived, and was told that it was missed due to my upgrade.

bummed i missed the chance to meet nologic. next time!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:19 am

not sure if it's 'cause i asked at the desk about an amenity or because i was typing the above comment and told the gm i was posting nice things about him on ft, but i did receive the aforementioned fruit and (yummy!!) brownies, along with a lovely cut fruit plate and some savory muffins and olive oils on the last night of our stay. no note, but i was pretty sure it was to welcome me to the hotel.

upon checkout, i was asked if the belated amenity had arrived, and was told that it was missed due to my upgrade.

bummed i missed the chance to meet nologic. next time!
Glad to hear they took care of you!

The savory muffins are great, I have received those with a bottle of wine on my 10th and 25th stay.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:32 am

This is interesting. I have an upcoming stay at the LRM as a first time tourist in Shanghai, so I've been following postings here and on traveladvisor. The reviews definitely seem more mercurial lately, whereas a few months ago they seemed more uniformly positive. I wonder if those of you that are regulars have seen a change.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
IMO, this hotel is terrific. Royal Club is great. Location is great. Food is great. Service is excellent. Beds/linens are very comfortable. Platinum UGs/recognition is great (although they only have 8 full suites, which are frequently full), not that jr suite is bad -- just not two rooms. Cool rooftop bar. On the neg side, it has a little bit of "big" hotel feel...although club has more intimacy. All in all, you can't go wrong staying here, unless you spend all your time in Pudong, at which point I'd recommend the Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt and St Regis, in that order.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
I am a little confused about this hotel. I have seen several mention that the views of People's Square are nice until you see the Bund view. However, it seems that there is only one category of room that has the Bund View and it does not have Royal Club access.

Do the suites have Bund views? These are the categories I see available for my November stay:

Royal Club Jr Suite

Deluxe Suite, Spectacular City View, High-speed Internet For A Fee, Sep Spacious Livingroom, Spacious Shower And Deluxe Tub

Residential Suite, Spectacular City View, Royal Club Lounge Benefits, Sep Lounge Dining Bedroom, Kitchenette

Imperial Suite, Spectacular City View, Royal Club Lounge Benefits, Combined Lounge Dining, City Views From Bath
Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Due to the shape of the building, there are only few rooms on each club floor have the bund view. I stayed there 3 times in the last 2 years, always upgraded to Jr. suite w/park view.

Originally Posted by peter11
I am a little confused about this hotel. I have seen several mention that the views of People's Square are nice until you see the Bund view. However, it seems that there is only one category of room that has the Bund View and it does not have Royal Club access.

Do the suites have Bund views? These are the categories I see available for my November stay:

Royal Club Jr Suite

Deluxe Suite, Spectacular City View, High-speed Internet For A Fee, Sep Spacious Livingroom, Spacious Shower And Deluxe Tub

Residential Suite, Spectacular City View, Royal Club Lounge Benefits, Sep Lounge Dining Bedroom, Kitchenette

Imperial Suite, Spectacular City View, Royal Club Lounge Benefits, Combined Lounge Dining, City Views From Bath
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
Jr. suites are all facing the People's Park side. So, if you want Bund view, you will have to give up your upgrade to jr. suites. Well, since that jr. suites is only slightly bigger than the regular deluxe room, it's not really a big lost. Plus, you will still get the access to the royal club lounge as pt. member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.