Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Hagaphus
Sorry for the rant because normally there is no problem with the 4pm late checkout, however I just had a very upsetting experience at the Springhill Suites in Columbus GA (definitely not a resort!). I indicated late checkout on mobile check-in, verified the 4pm checkout with front desk around 8:45am as I left for my meeting and had the card re-keyed. When I arrived back at hotel around 3pm, my room door was wide open (even though I had placed DND sign on door) and all of my belongings were gone! I immediately headed to the front desk thinking my stuff had been stolen and was informed that "no, we took your things because we thought that you forgot them." and no we don't have you in our system as having late checkout. They literally stuffed my clothes into plastic bags. No apologiesI I then went to my room, which still technically was mine due to confirmed late checked and re-keyed cards. At 3:58, the (very confrontational) manager, knocked heavily on my door (along with 4 other employees including a very large gentleman!) informing me that I was no longer welcome and I needed to vacate the premises immediately. All the hotel staff had to do was apologize and make it right... Yep....this happened to a lifetime Platinum who spends 100+ nights a year at Marriotts.... I have contacted the Platinum line and have a case number. Additionally, I have asked them to check the front desk camera to verify that I indeed did have my cards re-keyed..Moral of the story, don't expect that a Marriott property will even honor a 4pm checkout even if they give you one.
So did you (re)confirm your late checkout when you went to the desk to get your stuff?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Gold, Omni Black,
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by GoPhils
So did you (re)confirm your late checkout when you went to the desk to get your stuff?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Gold, Omni Black,
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
To be fair, creating a large fuss when you find your door open, and your belongings missing is perfectly reasonable. I had that happen as well once and it was extremely upsetting. Of course in the situation I encountered our stuff was completely gone, not just put in lost and found.
Sorry that happened to you. It is one of the traveler's worst fears... So much for assuming that your belongings will remain safe....
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Sorry for the rant because normally there is no problem with the 4pm late checkout, however I just had a very upsetting experience at the Springhill Suites in Columbus GA (definitely not a resort!). I indicated late checkout on mobile check-in, verified the 4pm checkout with front desk around 8:45am as I left for my meeting and had the card re-keyed. When I arrived back at hotel around 3pm, my room door was wide open (even though I had placed DND sign on door) and all of my belongings were gone! I immediately headed to the front desk thinking my stuff had been stolen and was informed that "no, we took your things because we thought that you forgot them." and no we don't have you in our system as having late checkout. They literally stuffed my clothes into plastic bags. No apologiesI I then went to my room, which still technically was mine due to confirmed late checked and re-keyed cards. At 3:58, the (very confrontational) manager, knocked heavily on my door (along with 4 other employees including a very large gentleman!) informing me that I was no longer welcome and I needed to vacate the premises immediately. All the hotel staff had to do was apologize and make it right... Yep....this happened to a lifetime Platinum who spends 100+ nights a year at Marriotts.... I have contacted the Platinum line and have a case number. Additionally, I have asked them to check the front desk camera to verify that I indeed did have my cards re-keyed..Moral of the story, don't expect that a Marriott property will even honor a 4pm checkout even if they give you one.
Note to self - never stay at this property! But I think your comment re: never expect a MAR property to honor a 4pm check out is incorrect, because we literally have lots of posts in this forum where MAR properties honored 4pm c/o w/ no problem. This is a property issue. I think you did the right thing wrt contacting customer care.

FWIW - at a dif property (know the GM) he said if they have 4pm c/o they're not thrilled because housekeeping has to stay late, but they always honor it. FD gives housekeeping a note in the am to let them know of the various late c/o times. He said if they go into a room that is supposed to be a c/o (w/ no late c/o notice) & belongings are still there, they try to contact the guest (if they have contact info) to see if they forgot about noon checkout, thought they were staying another day, had late c/o time, etc, but that they never remove the belongings. If they don't hear back from the guest by 4pm or later, they leave the belongings, change the c/o date to the next day and charge the guest for that night.

Cheers.
Hagaphus likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:15 am

Did they even try to call you to let you know that they left your stuff? I feel like that would of been the first thing they would of done before even touching your stuff! What did you have left in your room? I would assume clothes, suitcase, toothbrush/bathroom stuff.......Nobody would leave all of that!

Side rant, when I have the DND sign on my door when I am on vacation and maybe had a long night and I am sleeping until the early afternoon and have multiple night stay, housekeeping may bang on the door and open the door around 11AM if there is no answer. Front desk said "People just leave the sign on the door accidentally and most people want their room tidy up." I said that was the point of the sign!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Marriott15
Did they even try to call you to let you know that they left your stuff? I feel like that would of been the first thing they would of done before even touching your stuff! What did you have left in your room? I would assume clothes, suitcase, toothbrush/bathroom stuff.......Nobody would leave all of that!

Side rant, when I have the DND sign on my door when I am on vacation and maybe had a long night and I am sleeping until the early afternoon and have multiple night stay, housekeeping may bang on the door and open the door around 11AM if there is no answer. Front desk said "People just leave the sign on the door accidentally and most people want their room tidy up." I said that was the point of the sign!
No call from hotel. Also had my iPad in the room, which really worried me...
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
You had a right to raise hell. There better be some major compensation for that move. Unfortunately, it came at a time when customer service is so bogged down in middle of their IT merger mess.

Obviously, make sure to leave a bad review. Then, if customer service doesn’t get back in a timely manner or you don’t like the response. Also write a “Dear Mr. Sorenson” letter and snail mail it to corporate. I’ve seen letters like that be pretty effective at other companies. Be cordial and polite, but detail everything that happened.

I feel for you that they did that to you. They should of never touched your stuff before 4pm. Then they should of never tried to kick you out 2 minutes early.
Hagaphus likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyou10
If there is a DND sign, regardless of the time. Housekeeping’s first move should be contacting the front desk or someone at a computer and seeing if the guest has checked out already, and if they haven’t, what time do they checkout. They should never never ever knock or call themselves. Especially with the online checkout button now.

I raise hell with any property that house keeping knocks on my door and I’m still before my time.
Again, DND = contact a staff to look at the computer.

Side note, if it is before standard checkout (regardless if I have a late checkout or not) I am demanding compensation. And yes, it has happened 2 or 3 times.
I feel the same way, although I don't demand compensation.

OTOH, some experiences have given me the impression that many hotels positively instruct their housekeepers as SOP to ignore the DND sign and either knock or just enter if they can (if the door isn't deadbolted). Alternatively, they call the room and hang up if someone answers.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:53 pm

Sorry that happened to you. It is one of the traveler's worst fears... So much for assuming that your belongings will remain safe....
It was very stressful, but everything worked out better than I could have hoped for. The room they opened was our second room (I had gotten a room for my sister and her husband as a wedding gift), and she's almost positive that's where she got pregnant. They also comped our entire stay, including food and beverage, and upgraded our later stay to a penthouse room. I lost a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff, but saved well over a thousand. It was... interesting to say the least. I think the hotel handled it as well as they possibly could have.
Hagaphus likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
I thought the 4pm checkout only applied to 1 room
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by PDX4MSU
I thought the 4pm checkout only applied to 1 room
You're correct. The Plat's room.

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is someone in this thread talking about late checkout for multiple rooms?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Unless the OP’s credit card was declined or was some sort of nuisance or otherwise observed breaking the law, didn’t the hotel exceed its legal authority to bag up his stuff prior to 4pm? I routeinly see my checkout time noted as the default time and it’s never been an issue until just recently at a Marriott flagged property I told them mid stay that I needed the 4pm checkout and the front desk told me I wasn’t eligible as I had to state it at checkin or otherwise “waived the right” if this is policy it’s absurd. I’m usually out first thing in the AM so actually want late checkout maybe 10% of stays and when I ask for it it seems they still don’t program my keycard correctly and have to get a rekey anyways.
I know this stuff can can vary a bit state to state so hoping someone that knows GA inkeeper laws can opine. I’m generally curious. Certainly they would be liable for things damaged/missing but that wasn’t suggested so far. OP, I gotta give you credit, I wouldn’t have taken this as well as well as you did espicially the 4pm thuggish “eviction” on top of the bagging.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:39 am

Checked into the Ren ORD Suites & said (at c/i) I wanted 4pm c/o. Got pushback from the (not great to begin w/) FDC saying that's changed/we don't do it. I said Marriott T&Cs say it's guaranteed for Plats & she begrudgingly asked for my keys back & presumably rekeyed them for 4pm c/o. I'll re-confirm w/ night FDC when I get back from dinner tonight.

Cheers.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I agree...totally absurd on many levels. My first impression was that my belongings were stolen.
I would have contacted the police right away, both for this and for the apparent threats you received at the end.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.