Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoPhils
my basis is that I rarely got suite upgrades as an old Platinum anyway.
I got suites more often than not as MR Plat. I think it depends quite a bit on the properties you stay at.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I was Marriott Gold before the merger. Stayed a week at a JW resort from 21st Aug. At that point my account showed Gold. Spent ~£500 at the hotel, including daily breakfast. Today my account has changed to Platinum, which would have gotten me free breakfast during my stay if my account had changed to Platinum at merger time rather than over 2 weeks later. The stay did not take me over the post-merger Platinum threshold. Bummer!
Probably would have been worth saying something to the hotel, assuming your Marriott Gold was not matched from Starwood.

Also as pointed out to me, the “free breakfast” offered may not be the full extent of what you purchased anyway (although in a lot of cases hotels will offer a nominal upcharge from continental to buffet for example).
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I'm so confused! After weeks of watching, reading , and the occasional call to discover my new status it was all explained(?) this AM. I received a 'Happy 25th Anniversary' email that also prompted me to combine my MR & SPG accounts and after @ 5 minutes Wa La! I'm 'Platinum Elite' for life.
So what has changed? Do I get a new card? Or is it like HH and the queue at the front desk is longer than non-status?

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Sep 5, 2018 at 6:01 am Reason: update
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:24 am
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
As of today, still Platinum here (Marriott plt before merger).. Tried Twitter/Email/Call and was told to wait... Very frustrated...
cruisr and WoodyWindy like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ls
As of today, still Platinum here (Marriott plt before merger).. Tried Twitter/Email/Call and was told to wait... Very frustrated...
Same here. Good thing they have time to come up with a status challenge, even while they can’t get statuses right for existing elites.
WoodyWindy and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by Tulane41

Same here. Good thing they have time to come up with a status challenge, even while they can’t get statuses right for existing elites.
Same here. Still Platinum even though was Platinum before Aug 18 and was told I would be Plat Premier for rest of the year. Very frustrating indeed.
cruisr and WoodyWindy like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:35 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
To make it worse, I am expecting a long phone call with Marriott after they correct the status (if they will...) to correct all the points earned during the waiting period..:-(
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally received feedback that I'm not eligible for PP since I was part of the taste of platinum promotion last year. I have to actually get 75 elite nights to get platinum. Contravenes everything that Marriott said before the system's merger but I guess that's the company line now. I also have 60 elite nights but I'm still not eligible to pick any elite choice benefits.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I finally received feedback that I'm not eligible for PP since I was part of the taste of platinum promotion last year. I have to actually get 75 elite nights to get platinum. Contravenes everything that Marriott said before the system's merger but I guess that's the company line now. I also have 60 elite nights but I'm still not eligible to pick any elite choice benefits.
That can't be true. I also did the challenge last year and I'm now showing PPE. I don't have anything close to 75 nights for this year, since the bulk of my stays have been at Hilton.

There's so many threads to keep track of for finding DPs on this issue but others elsewhere have reported getting PPE as a result of Platinum obtained via a status challenge - both from last year and this one. When you successfully complete a challenge you obtain the status accordingly. If you're Plat then you're Plat, not pseudo-Plat, quasi-Plat or crypto-Plat but plain vanilla Plat, and I've never heard of it being otherwise.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by GoPhils

Probably would have been worth saying something to the hotel, assuming your Marriott Gold was not matched from Starwood.

Also as pointed out to me, the “free breakfast” offered may not be the full extent of what you purchased anyway (although in a lot of cases hotels will offer a nominal upcharge from continental to buffet for example).
I status matched BA to United and matched my United status to Marriott.

The hotel in question were very generous, so I thought it would seem greedy and unappreciative to try to negotiate more when my account said new Gold and I only had blogger sites as proof I should have been Platinum and I hadn't earned Plat the hard way.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
I should be lifetime platinum and platinum premier for 2018 post-Aug 18, but it is showing platinum for both. When I called I was told the Marriott system thinks lifetime platinum is "more valuable" than platinum premier for 2018, but they are working to fix my status for 2018. If true, this is a major IT glitch if they cannot reconcile someone having a higher status for 2018 than for their lifetime status. Either way, not very reassuring that almost 3 weeks after the merger I am having to have this conversation.
WoodyWindy likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Are there still people who had Marriott Gold before the merger which has now become Gold, instead of Platinum? It is now quite a while since the merger, no reply to email sent, and they don't pick up the phone. Don't have a stay for another month so not too miffed but wondering how this is going to be sorted out... Did make a lot of bookings for the second half of the year expecting to have Plat with the new program.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS

To update, like others still showing Plat when I should be PP. In the middle of post-merger stay #3 . Assuming nothing is happening on their end over the holiday weekend.

Anyone have any luck with this? I've given up calling, but went to check the website yesterday and it was down. I was slightly optimistic that they were updating on their end, but logged in today and I'm still Plat when I should be PP. Has anyone else had their status corrected?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Was this reply verbal or written? Regardless it is wrong and a made up rule to keep from doing the work. There is a good chance the fix is already on their list of things to do. In the meantime keep good track of your activity and request adjustments once things settle down.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I was a Platinum SPG and therefore a Marriott Platinum. I should be Platinum Premier according to all the info i was sent and info published on various Marriott sites. I am still Platinum. My husband, who was Gold from United is showing as a Platinum. This is the most screwed up merger i have ever scene. At least CO/UA got their elite levels correct.
WoodyWindy and eracerblue like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.