Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Atlantis, Bahamas an Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Good details in this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30029755-post302.html

The Atlantis is made up of 4 towers that will participate for redemption stays. They are as follows:

Atlantis, Beach Tower - Do not participate in Marriott reward booking(?) (old Category 7)
Atlantis, Coral Towers - New Category 5 (35k) (old Category 8 (from March, 2018 https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/use/category-update.mi)
Atlantis, Royal Towers - New Category 6 (50k) (old Category 8)
The Cove Atlantis - New Category 7 (60k) (old Category 9)

Apparently, you cannot redeem points for a stay at The Reef Atlantis, but you can earn points on a paid stay there.

Points are earned for room rate only. No points on incidental spend. Platinum Arrival Gift (PAG) is 500pts or food/drink amenity. $20 internet fee* is NOT waived for Gold/Plats per Marriott's T&Cs. For rooms that will have more than two people aged twelve or over, there is an "additional adult charge" per person. *For Royal, Coral, Beach Towers, internet is included as part of the daily resort fee of $50.

"For clarification purposes, the daily charge is not a resort fee. The additional charges associated with the stay currently include mandatory gratuities and a utility service fee per person per day. The amount can vary by unit type by building. These additional charges have always been in place at Atlantis."

ADDITIONAL CHARGES:

Guests of Atlantis, Harborside Resort, The Cove and The Reef Atlantis are subject to an 20% charge per night that includes taxes, the Paradise Island Tourism and Development Association levy, the Nassau Paradise Island Promotion Board levy and compensation for servicing your reservation. In addition, guests will be required to pay a mandatory gratuity and utility service fee of (i) up to $25.95 per person per day depending on unit type for Atlantis guests, (ii) up to $20.70 per person per day depending on unit type for Harborside Resort guests, and (iii) up to $65.95 per person per day depending on unit type for The Cove or The Reef Atlantis guests. If you purchase a pre-paid package these charges are already included in your package price. If you do not purchase a pre-paid package, these charges will be assessed upon check out at the property. Please be advised that all mandatory gratuities, taxes, levies and service fees are subject to change.

As of 01-Jan-2015, In addition to the previous 20% tax on room rate and purchases, there is an additional VAT of 7.5%, 12%* (as of July 1, 2018), making a total tax on room rate and purchases of 37.5%. This also applies to additional adult fees (for more than two person ages 12 and older staying in the same room), but does not apply to the mandatory gratuity and utility fees. https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/05/30/vat-hike-to-12-percent/
*If you booked prior to the VAT increase, you should be able to have the original 7.5% VAT honored. https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/06/07/hotels-and-resorts-allowed-to-honor-prior-bookings-at-7-5-vat/

Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas participates in Marriott Rewards as follows:
- Points or Miles may be earned for reservations booked through www.marriott.com/atlantis or by calling 1-855-696-4732.
- Points or Miles will not be earned and Points cannot be redeemed for reservations booked through Atlantis Paradise Vacations, Atlantis.com, or AtlantisBahamas.com.
- Reward booking can be done online from Marriott website. You can also book stays with points advance (borrow points). The cancellation policy is normally 14 days in advance. Points may be redeemed for stays only by calling 1-855-696-4732. At this time, redemption stays cannot be booked online.
Print Wikipost

Atlantis, Bahamas an Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Excellent news! My wife will be there later this year for a conference Curious how the Elite benis will be ... better than nothing like we have right now
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Marriott / Atlantis Deal?

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000289170

I've never stayed at Atlantis (or been tempted, for that matter), but would consider cashing in a bucketload of points eventually if I knew I'd get Marriott levels of customer service and consistency.

The interview says it will be an Autograph Collection property. I guess that's appropriate, although I've lost track of all the crazy brands they seem to roll out every other month or so...
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:11 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You might want to check out the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-property.html thread.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
The censors of this site apparently changed one word in my post, after having confused it with a term that references a child born out of wedlock. Odd, since the term I typed is not in any way offensive as far as I know.
The software did that. No human involvement.

Bruce
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by libuser
and before anybody say anything, yes this will be a resort so no brekkie for us, and furthermore suites will be excluded. Internet will be 1Mbps for plats and not guaranteed speed. Thats what I would expect really..
Oh good lord. Maybe that will keep some of the cronic complainers away so the rest of us can enjoy the Carribean weather, food, and fun.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
DO NOT TELL MY KIDS THIS NEWS. For the love of god, do not.

Originally Posted by cfischer
Excellent news! My wife will be there later this year for a conference Curious how the Elite benis will be ... better than nothing like we have right now
Given it's a large resort, I think if you go in with the expectation of getting points/night credit for the stay, free internet & a possible hope of an upgrade, that will cover the elite bennies. I truly wouldn't expect much more.

Cheers.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:47 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
I wonder why Atlantis decided to join. It's such a famous hotel, it doesn't need a brand like Marriott to attract customers.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I wonder why Atlantis decided to join. It's such a famous hotel, it doesn't need a brand like Marriott to attract customers.
The video link above talks a bit about it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm going to assume no elite benefits here...just like every other Marriott resort.

Still tempted to try this place once for a few days. Not my typical vacation style but for a few days why not? I assume there is some sort of offseason where perhaps a reasonable breakfast-included rate is available?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:06 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The video link above talks a bit about it.

Cheers.
Indeed, still doubts me however. Strange arguments.

Also, It doesn't really fit with any of the Marriott chains except Gaylord. Why don't they call it like that? Is Gaylord still operating independently?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
That's the beauty of The Autograph Collection brand. It's for hotels and resorts that have their own distinct identities, and often well-known names and reputations -- but that would benefit from being part of Marriott Rewards, from being bookable through Marriott.com, from Marriott's marketing strength, and from the "seal of approval" that comes from being part of the Marriott portfolio.

Also, It doesn't really fit with any of the Marriott chains except Gaylord. Why don't they call it like that? Is Gaylord still operating independently?
The Gaylord brand is for large convention hotels. It's a bit of an odd brand within Marriott International because it consists of just four hotel-convention center properties. The Gaylord hotels have been managed by Marriott International since 2012, but are not owned by Marriott International owned (Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc. owns them).

The Autograph Collection brand can be applied to anything from a small historical urban boutique hotel to a mega-resort. Properties of The Autograph Collection adhere to high standards for quality, but they don't need to have the "no surprises" sameness of the defined Marriott brands.

Or, to put it another way, The Autograph Collection is the umbrella for a diverse collection of hotels, not the brand for a rigorously defined chain.

Last edited by Horace; Jul 9, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:43 pm

It's a gigantic property facing increasing competition in the neighborhood. At the same time, it has not been a tremendously successful financially and needed a $100M infusion which Marriott was willing to provide (in the form of typically high-interest mezzanine debt).

With regard to "needing Marriott," I'll say that I've thought about going for years for a few days with out kids and have never done it. Being able to use points and some accumulated gift cards dramatically increases the chances that I'll go. I imagine I am not alone in that.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Honestly folks there is a LOT more to The Bahamas than Nassau and especially monstrosities like Atlantis. The small islands offer real Bahamian experience like Exuma, and Long Island. As someone who has been to out island over 30 times and Nassau 1 time. I know I will never go to Nassau. Just my opinion.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I attended a conference at Atlantis several years ago and was not impressed. It is truly gargantuan. Expect no elite recognition at all in such a huge place.

Bruce
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Given it's a large resort, I think if you go in with the expectation of getting points/night credit for the stay, free internet & a possible hope of an upgrade, that will cover the elite bennies. I truly wouldn't expect much more.

Cheers.
That's MUCH better than nothing right now Points will be substantial, free internet is important and a chance at a room upgrade not bad either
I hope they will be part of the system by late October

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.