Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2009 Program Changes -- the good, the bad and the ugly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Program Changes -- the good, the bad and the ugly

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by satori
Perhaps the most useful feature that you won't find here in the FlyerTalk thread is a table showing both the current 2008 and the new 2009 points redemption level in the same cells to make quick comparisons.
I put a table showing net point changes in post 109 of this thread yesterday. It doesn't display very nicely, though.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by holocker
Will I be able to use a travel reward package for current CAT 7 Hotels- that will become a Cat 8 Hotel- if I book the room before Jan 15.
I've got one on hold now for next summer at the JW Capri... still just 150k points. Sweet...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Bold added by me for areas of particular agreement...

Did everyone REALLY think that the bonus would go up to 50%, black-outs would be reduced, (as well as whatever else was inadvertently posted earlier this year) and there would be no offsetting factors?
Well, people always want more for less... that does not work properly in an economic downturn...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:22 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
Yes, as long as you book and order the award before Jan. 15th, you should be able to use the existing award prices and hotel categories.
But what if you don't have a reservation prior to Jan. 15?

Or you do have a reservation and need to change the date or location?

Will a category 8 accept (in 2009) a certificate for a category 7 stay that was issued prior to Jan. 15?

It's clear that certificates will be honored when reservations are made prior to Jan. 15. What worries me is if I need to make changes (date or a different location) to that reservation.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by rylan
I used to think that the MR program was one of the best, especially with the incremental discount on the nightly point rate when staying over multiple nights. But now, the only benefit is on the 5th night, and even then it still costs more than previously.
* I really liked the incremental discount, which is now disappearing & as mentioned even w/ the 5th night free (assuming one can stay a 5th night) is more points.

Originally Posted by satori
If you are reluctant to read through this 10-page thread, I have attempted to give a more thorough analysis of the Marriott Rewards changes on my Loyalty Traveler blog post today.

Perhaps the most useful feature that you won't find here in the FlyerTalk thread is a table showing both the current 2008 and the new 2009 points redemption level in the same cells to make quick comparisons.

Now we just need to wait and see how many hotels go up in category level for 2009. If the foreign currencies keep dropping at 5% a week, maybe Europe will drop to all Category 4 hotels by 2009

Marriott Rewards Analysis of 2009 Program Changes
satori, thanks for the analysis in the thread you show & the table showing both. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United MP Pr Exec
Bad Timing for MR - will result in caching, less revenues

Clearly the new MR awards are more expensive point-wise. Tie this with the sever economy, limiting travels, and MR members feeling they want to leave to other programs, I fear Marriott will experience a lot of points cashing, reduction in Elite membership, and less revenues even accounting for the limiting travel and slower economy.

This was the worse time to introduce such changes Marriott.

I have been PL for many years, with over 500K points - am going to cash them all, get a matching status on one of the competing programs (looks like HH is best) and enjoy as much as I can using the old packages.

This reminds me the 2001 program changes (eg see http://www.flyertalk.com/forums/show...825&highlight= ) , and before, when lots of bonuses has been reduced (E.g. for car rentals, the 100% point bonus etc.). The PL bonus used to be 100% also, so we are going back to the worse.

2001 - after 9/11 - was a slow year, but I see it being much worse now, with the economy in such a bad shape. For example, in my company (major US Corp) travel has been put on freeze for only super esential, with SVP approval ...!

Bad job Marriott, sorry to say, the time has come to separate.

With Regards,

TL

Last edited by TravelsLots; Oct 22, 2008 at 2:37 pm
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
I have a bit of good news for you. Travel packages and hopper rewards ordered prior to January 15th can be used for reward stays booked on or after the 15th. If you call Guest Services on January 14th, (it may be a little busy if you all decide to do this) and order as many travel packages as you have points for, the mileage will be transferred to the airline you chose and you will have twelve months from the date of issuance to use the hotel portions.
Will we be able to renew the hotel portion of a travel package after one year of issuance as it was always allowed? I have one attached to a reservation and another one just on file, both coming due on the first half of 2009.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Marriott Concierge-Please let us have it all at once

Started a new thread-too important to be burried on page 11 of this one
Please see
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880058

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Oct 22, 2008 at 3:09 pm
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:55 pm

Bad timing for MR, will results in points caching, lower revenues

Given 2009 is expected to be a WW recession, already with travel freezing in many US and WW corp. (mine included), and given that the new points are much worse than before, I think Marriott will see a huge caching of MR points next year, either as people trying to use the current awards, or as people just want to move to another program.

I have been PL member for many years, with a balance of over 500K points in my account. I am going to cache them all and enjoy them next year, while I move to another program (HH looks best for now) and ask for status match in other programs based on what I have now with MR (Platinum) - many hotel rewards programs will do a status match so you can start 2009 in the right leg, being diamond, or platinum in the other chain (you will need to fax a copy of your MR card or summary of your stays to get this - and of course you will need to ask for such status match)

This is not the first time Marriott changes the MR awards. Remember the 2001, after 9/11? Remember how Hertz 100% bonus and how PL 100% bonus were eliminated to end up with 30% PL bonus? Do a search on this forum for 2001 Big Changes in MR program thread and you will see (cannot post the link as my post will flag as spam). Have just registred on FT especially to let all and Marriott know that the timing for doing this change now is terrible.

With regards,

TL

Last edited by TravelsLots; Oct 22, 2008 at 3:25 pm
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:58 pm

The other shoe will fall after Jan 15

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Waiting for the other shoe to drop
If you have any information on catagory changes for 2009 it probably be best to let us know about it now if possible.

Dragging out bad news is never a good thing-better to just get it all out there at once.

Waiting till right after the Freddies proved disaterous in 2007,a real slap in the face that sent many long time Marriott fans on this board running away in disgust.

So if you could share with us what you know now it would be much appriciated.
Does not make sense for MR to share the Cat changes now, as all will run to cache their rewards and book travel and get miles with packages before Jan 15 - so don't just wait for the other shoe to hit you - cache your points now. I am doing so.

Regards,

TL
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:01 pm
LKO

Does anyone like this new program?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by LKO
Does anyone like this new program?
The suits at Marriott International do
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LKO
Thanks hhoope01,

I was just wanting MC to confirm no additional points required for a MCVI award, because they are currently a great value for points if you can find availablity. I was looking for Hawaii in April 2009 and found 7 nights in a studio at the Maui Lahaina Towers (new building) for 100,000 points. That's less than a category 7 hotel and I'd prefer the studio over a hotel anyway. If it's available, a 2 bedroom unit is priced at 150,000 which is the same as a category 7. I'd much rather have the 2 bedroom unit with a kitchen.

I guess I was just surprised that they aren't increasing the points required for a MCVI stay and was asking MC to confirm that. But, you're correct he already answered that with the quote above.
Ha!! Guess why!?? Because those units are not owned by Marriott and if they increase the points required for a MVCI stay they would not be able to avoid increasing the points they give to owners for their use. Obviously a reward stay at a MVCI property has become the star in this new "enhanced" program and we, owners, are subsidizing it. Marriotts plays generous with others' properties instead of adjusting our point exchange structure. The trade-for-points option is gone and now buying from the developer is just way too expensive. I feel sick for a bunch of friends and relatives whom I encouraged to buy timeshares from Marriott in the last couple of years.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by frisbeeace
Obviously a reward stay at a MVCI property has become the star in this new "enhanced" program and we, owners, are subsidizing it.
I would have to say that I have always thought that MVCI stays have been a very good use of points. A lot of the MVCI properties are next to a Marriott resort hotel. Given that a 1-bedroom suite usually costs less points than a hotel room at the resort that is next door and we usually get full use of the resort amenities, MVCI awards are well worth their price. Unfortunately, as you mention, Marriott has very limited control of their inventory and as such, quite often it can be a challenge to find award availability.

Last edited by hhoope01; Oct 22, 2008 at 3:43 pm
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:37 pm
LKO

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I would have to say that I have always thought that MVCI stays have been a very good use of points. A lot of the MVCI properties are next to a Marriott resort/hotel. Given that a 1-bedroom suite costs usually costs less points than a hotel room at the resort that is next door and we usually get full use of the resort amenities, MVCI awards are well worth their price.
Yes, if you can find availablity the MCVI awards have been an very good use of points! With no change in points required for redemption they have now become the best value for points!!

Good luck finding dates available, it's like looking for that needle in the haystack!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.